SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#235743 - 06/10/08 12:34 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Dunno how to say this ... TV quality just isn't important to me at. Sure it is cool for a few minutes but after that it all seems the same ... but give me high quality musical instrument quality anytime and then I'll really take notice.

#235744 - 06/10/08 02:17 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
May I genuinely ask why only Plasma/LCD tech is being considered?

I looked on in envy as I went from site to site on the net researching HDTVs (about a good 6 months ago mind you) and noticed that all the sites with a good price and CHOICE were mostly American.

(May I assume this is largely a discussion between US citizens at the moment?)

My point is:

American stores (online AND Bricks 'n mortar) seemed to have at least one other choice - DLP.

Cheap.
Great Picture.
Good with Action.
Good (sometimes excellent) Black levels.
Non reflective display.
Huge screensize.

Have things changed THAT much in the marketplace that you would only consider Plasma & LCD??

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#235745 - 06/10/08 04:12 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
kalimero Offline

Loc: Dubrovnik, Croatia
GlennT,

The simplest explanation of difference between LCD and Plasma screens would be the following:

Plasma screens have better contrast, and black level then LCD screens.

LCD screens have better resolution, lower power consumption and lower prices then comparable sized plasma screens.

Beside that, plasma screens are more alike CRT in a way that they might exhibit ghosting effect (burned pixels if the same picture stays on screen for very long time), and they also suffer from picture quality degradation with time (after couple years the light level drops, similar as with projection lamps).

It should be noticed that both type of screens doesn't behave the same when in different lighting situations (outdoor, indoor etc.)

To sum it up, plasma screen are considered to be better then LCD screens, but because of the competition, there are constant upgrades of both technologies.

Also, notice that high quality LCD might perform better then lover quality plasma screen. And if TV signal is of low quality, there is no TV set in the world that would make it look good on any type of screen.

Good luck.

#235746 - 06/10/08 04:25 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
When it's all done it only matters if you are happy at home with your set. It's just like arranger keyboards, Yamaha is this, Korg is this, Ketron is this.

Everyone has their preference.

My main TV brand that I sell is LG. I just did a scouting company for football players, we mainly the higher end LCD to avoid the motion blur, and in the owners house we did 2 60" LG Plasma because he watches allot of movies and wanted the best color reproduction which includes the contrast level.

Brun in on new decent plasmas are almost gone because of the technologies that are available today.

Stephen, sorry I thought you knew when you came down. Samsung is a very good brand.

I have my option of buying any TV out there, and I bought a HP DLP that's not made anymore.

Me or anyone can give you the speech of what;s the best, what I read about, what my friend told me was the best, but it all ends up with what you are happy with.

My offer still stands, give me a call and I'll try to help as musch as possible.

Frank

#235747 - 06/10/08 04:37 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi,

I have a 42" LG Plasma that I bought about a year ago. It is HD ready and not FULL HD which means the maximum resolution it can output is 1080i. I have a Playstation 3 hooked up to it to play games and watch Blu Ray movies and I think its just fantastic. There is a very small difference between the full HD 1080p and the HD ready 1080i. U cant really make it out unless u see it very minutely. There's just one problem...burn-in of images which is easily corrected with a DVD which I bought called "Pixel Protector". So, bottom-line, I'm very happy with the plasma. I would advise you to have a look at the two technologies and decide on what pleases ur eyes the best.
My 2 cents...
SUNNY

#235748 - 06/10/08 05:07 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:

Stephen, sorry I thought you knew when you came down. Samsung is a very good brand.

Frank

Frank I was too caught up into getting my hands on my new PA800 then the PA2xPro to notice much else. At the time an LCD wasn't even on the radar. But, if I'm ever in the market for high quality audio for car or home I know where to come. Thx.

#235749 - 06/10/08 06:44 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
If you have the right ingedients....

Suitable place to put it,
a little time to tinker with for optimal results,
and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is minimal,

then consider buying a medium priced projector and a medium-good motorized screen.

this will not set you back much more than a good TV, with the added advantage of having a 80 to 120 inch screen.

A friend has an Epson projector, (not HD) and a motorized screen, (bought months ago about 1600 Euros both) that he uses even for regular tv viewing (news etc). While I personally think it is overkill, (IMHO a 20 inch TV, no matter the brand can let you watch cnn just as well), I sometimes look in awe at the face of the newscaster....and don't let me started about sports, it's like you one of the players.

You can imagine the movies that you are going to see....AWESOME!!!!

ahh, and something else from another more purist friend of mine..."projection is better than TV because in projection, you are casting light at something, similar to everday world where the sun casts light ot objects around us...in TV, the TV itself casts light at you, so it is never the same blah blah.".

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 06-10-2008).]

#235750 - 06/10/08 07:39 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
give me high quality musical instrument quality anytime and then I'll really take notice.

Same here. The best picture isn't enough... and the sound of built in speakers won't cut it, so I'll be checking out sound systems also. Looks like I'll be taking on a few doubles or triples (gigs) to finance this project.

#235751 - 06/10/08 10:55 AM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I have now for 8 Months a Panasonic 42" Full hd Plasma,the best sounding plasma (read reviews)in combination with my 5x1ooWatt Tannoy monitors & 250Watt sub and a bleu ray player it blow you away and a razor sharp image.

Impuls

#235752 - 06/10/08 01:52 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I went with the Hitachi 60" Ultravision LCD, great picture.

I hate Plazma because it interferes with my Amateur Radio Station badly. They are in violation of FCC part 15 but the Fed's are not very good at enforcement these days.
Hey what do you expect it's the government!

But I like the picture on the high end Plazmas.

Oh, I have an almost brand new HD DVD player for sale....( Yep, I guessed wrong!) :-)

Lee

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 06-10-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online