SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#235733 - 06/09/08 04:18 PM OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I thought my 50" rear projection TV was OK until I walked into Best Buy and allowed myself to observe and drool over the newer HDTVs. And now there's no turning back... gotta have one.

Problem is, everyone tells me something different. Plasma is better, LCD is the new wave, viewing angle, pixel count, need more HDMI inputs, blackness level, burn-in, etc, etc.

Anybody been through this? Worse than "which AK is better?"

Glenn

#235734 - 06/09/08 04:38 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Dnj Offline

I just bought a 32" HDTV for my sons room yesterday....K-mart Fathers day sale ....looks great!!
http://www.olevia.com/en-us/home.aspx

#235735 - 06/09/08 05:55 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Glenn 1 part of my business is selling and installing LCD, and Plasma, call me and I'll give you the run down

888-374-6706

------------------
www.audioworksct.com
Frank@audioworksct.com
KETRON,
KORG, MACKIE, SAMSON..........,

#235736 - 06/09/08 06:13 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I bought a 55" Hitachi Plasma a year ago. I went and watched all the LCD's and didn't like the way they viewed from a side view. They might be better now but I love my plasma TV. Some salesmen told me that the disadvantage of plasma is the glare but I love mine. I think the picture quality is sharper than when I look at LCD screens.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#235737 - 06/09/08 06:34 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Actually there is less glare with Plasmas then with LCDs.

Plasmas will give better movement, especially in sports, LCDs can not move that fast, that's why they are using Buzz words like 120hz smooth motion.

LCD colors will pop more than plasmas, but the best picture is a pioneer and it's a plasma.

I sell them all and until LCD's really make amn improvement in their motion blur, and black levels, it's Plasma all the way

#235738 - 06/09/08 06:52 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Why don't we talk about something simple ... like politics or religion!!!

#235739 - 06/09/08 08:00 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I'm sure Frank will give you the lowdown and a great education, pointing you in the right direction. Frank wish I made the connection that you were in the TV business I would have called you before my recent shopping experience.

Let me tell you what I went thru a few weeks ago. I went to a chain store called Tweeter Etc. to take a look at what they had in stock. Most were very pricey top of the line LCDs and Plasmas ( more money than I cared to spend). A Tweeter sales manager directed me to a Pioneer Kuro Elite Plasma ( reported to have the blackest blacks in the industry) . IT had been selling for $4500 reduced to $2500 because Tweeter bought 800 of the sets that were being discontinued and were going to be able to sell them at deeply discounted price. I then went home and called everyone I knew who had an opinion on LCD vs. Plasma. It was a mixed camp about half told me why I should have plasma, the other half told me why they purchased LCD. Anyway that Sunday night I did more reading more research and got more confused. Short part of the story is I somehow went to a local wholesale club and purchased a Vizio 50 inch Plasma ( second tier brand). It looked great in the store near many LCDs. Once I got it home I didn't like the picture quality at all. I tried every adjustment possible and it still looked terrible. I knew I didn't want this TV since I had purchased a 32 inch Polaroid LCD a couple of years ago strictly because it was priced right. The Polaroid looked much better than the Vizio plasma. I returned the plasma 2 nights later and went to Best Buy, Circuit City and smaller chain store operation here in New England. I must have looked and read about 20 different LCDs and plasma.

I finally purchased and LCD from the small chain store called Bernie's. Bottom line rather than choose completely by a review or what someone else thought about the plasma vs. LCD I let my eyes be the judge. The LCD I chose was a 46 inch Samsung. I'm very happy with it and can only watch HD channels now. Nothing else carries the punch that the HD channels do. The detail is so good that I spotted Donny sitting behind home plate watching the Yankees play ball. Just kidding about that part, but the detail is stunning. Good luck Glenn, the best advice I can give is let your eyes be the judge.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-09-2008).]

#235740 - 06/09/08 08:22 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Might as well jump in here with an oppinion ... I too went through the same "Craziness"!!! Landed up with a 42" Samsung LCD Very Very Happy!!! Also purchased the Samsung BlueRay .. a marriage made in TV heaven.
I know the Vizio's fly off the shelf at my local COSTCO??

#235741 - 06/09/08 08:49 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
Dnj Offline

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtvreviews/lcdtv-shootout.shtml

Top 5?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-09-2008).]

#235742 - 06/09/08 11:38 PM Re: OT - HDTV - Plasma or LCD?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There are good and bad plasmas, just like there are good and bad LCD's and its personal preference as to which you like. (Just go to the store and see which one takes your fancy)
In most cases you also get what you pay for, buy a cheap plasma or LCD and in most cases they look crap, however get a Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma or a Sony LCD and you will be in heaven.
The best value however in both Plasma and LCD has got to be Samsung though. (Not quite as good as the top end sets, but blows the rest of the market away)
Go for 3 HDMI and Full HD (Not the lower resolution HD Ready) 1080P/24fps to get the best from Blue-Ray.
I still use a Samsung 21” CRT for general viewing, as I have a projector (DLP) and screen for Home Cinema use. (For me even 50 or 60” Plasma or LCD’s are just too small to get a true Home Cinema experience)
Hope this helps

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online