Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#235197 - 06/04/08 07:48 PM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Miden or maybe Roland see all the success that Yamaha has had after dropping the 76 key 9000pro......so the will also follow suit and start only making 61 arrangers too.Follow the leader

I think you have it there Donny!!

#235198 - 06/04/08 10:56 PM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, first things first...

Yamaha dropped the 9000Pro because it was a DOG...! Not because it had 76 keys, but because it had so many problems, flaws and OS bugs. It would have failed as a 61 as well (in fact, Yamaha's dominance now is possibly as a result of them NOT making a 61 version of it, and burning all their customers!). So scratch THAT theory, please!

As to Roland bailing on 76 arrangers and cutting back drastically... Not surprising. They made such a hash of the last two series (VA and G70/E80) and overpriced them so badly compared to the G1000 that it would have surprised me to see ANY arranger for a while. OTOH, that's not really troubling me, because for the way I use it, the G70 already is close to perfect, and I usually want a good ten years or so out of any major investment like that. Familiarity trumps incremental improvements, IMO...

I must confess, I don't use an arranger like the majority of you. Firstly, I don't play solo much. I always want a real guitarist with me. Secondly, I don't actually use the arranger section much for live play. I prefer just drums, and a lot of left hand bass, or I'll use the arranger to make an SMF in advance, so I can still play two handed. Or I just make straight ahead SMF's. I have always preferred arrangers NOT because of the arranger, but because the sound-set is usually more meat and potatoes straight ahead stuff than the cutting edge stuff they pack WSs with (which I have little use for)....

So, in all fairness, and despite making a lot of noise about it at Roland-Arranger.com (no point in NOT trying to get flaws fixed, even if you don't use them much!), I don't see any reason to bail on my G70 for a LONG time. Maybe long enough for Roland to get back in the business, or, more likely, long enough for WS loop-stations like the MotifXS to get a more arranger-like control paradigm. Hey, maybe even long enough for things like the MS to actually turn into something useful!

But, as I have said before, IF Yamaha made a 76 S900, I would buy one in a flash for doing solo gigs. Their guitar patterns and sounds have no equal (IMO), and the awful keyboard (if it is the same as the 61) would not matter THAT much. Of course, all things being equal, I would never use anything that felt like that, but if the only thing available that had that good a guitar sound felt like that, function would trump ergonomics (as I'm sure many of you feel about this issue!). For a 'background', solo OMB keyboard, the S900 is hard to beat (T2 doesn't add enough useful for the price, although I might pick one up if the prices tumble once the T3 is out ).

So, for me, it IS frustrating that Yamaha don't consider a 76 version of the S900 a viable option. Like I said, I have a sneaky suspicion (especially after hearing that Yamaha's in house survey doesn't even ASK the question) that a lot more people than Ian admits WOULD buy a 76 version IF OFFERED. Of course. we'll never find that out until they offer it, which they won't, because they haven't asked anybody! Circular logic....

But if anyone wants to bail on a mint G70 for a reasonable price, just because Roland MIGHT not make another one, drop me a line. It wouldn't hurt to have a backup...

#235199 - 06/05/08 03:41 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If there is no G-series replacement (76 key)I believe Roland will add SMF players and more advanced MP3 control to more models of their digital piano line...and add some rudimentary styles like the ones on the FP series.

That should satisfy many of the piano players on SZ...at least those who rely on those features...but hopefully, they will make the instruments much lighter than they are presently.

Ahhh, it's moments like this that make me want to hug my S900...I'm glad a lightweight 61 note instrument is perfect for my arranger needs and I'm sure there are many others who feel the same way.

Ian

#235200 - 06/05/08 04:00 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
to the genesys Offline

One thing the discussion about 76 key arrangers is lacking is facts.
If Roland were to discontinue making 76 key arrangers, people assume that they are doing so because it is 76 keys.

People forget that the G70 is very big and heavy. The E60 just did not have all the right features. So just saying that they are discontinuing 76 key arrangers is misleading and does not tell the full story.

Likewise, saying that Yamaha is successful with 61 key arrangers so that is why they don’t make 76 keys is also misleading. Yamaha has never made a 76 key arranger that is not heavy, not bulky, and has a good working OS with sounds and styles. On top of all that, Yamaha says it does market research, but we have no proof of that research asking customers about a light-weight reasonalably sized (no bigger than T2), same sounds styles and OS as T2 arranger.

And no one has been able to answer the question. If T2 or T3 or S900 were 76 keys, the same weight as the T2, T3 or S900, same styles sounds and OS as T2, T3 or S900 small to fit in the back seet of a car, and no more than $100 than T2 T3 or S900, would that prevent persons from buying it?

#235201 - 06/05/08 04:12 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
And no one has been able to answer the question. If T2 or T3 or S900 were 76 keys, the same weight as the T2, T3 or S900, same styles sounds and OS as T2, T3 or S900 small to fit in the back seet of a car, and no more than $100 than T2 T3 or S900, would that prevent persons from buying it?

I can...for me it would be a definite....maybe.

What about you, genesys?

Would you actually buy one, or are you just making hypothetical conversation?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-05-2008).]

#235202 - 06/05/08 06:54 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I would buy one tommorrow 8:00 AM!
No hype, no maybe's. Make it available and I will bite.

Offering a 61 and 76 is no brainer!

(Please see my post in other Tyros 3 topic, regarding Yamaha (and others)missing the boat here)

Lee

#235203 - 06/05/08 07:11 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
Bachus Offline

Anyone here that would trade his or her T2 for a 76 key S900 ?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#235204 - 06/05/08 07:20 AM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
Anyone here that would trade his or her T2 for a 76 key S900 ?

How about you, Bachus...are you interested in a Yamaha 76 key S900?

Would you trade your Tyros2 for one?

Perhaps your comments are just rhetorical?

Ian

#235205 - 06/05/08 08:01 PM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Why the heck would I want to go down hill on sound, function etc to get a 76 s900?

No, But I would buy a 76 T3....
But, there's nothing wrong with offering a 76 s900 also!

Ian, you taking deposits???

Lee

#235206 - 06/05/08 08:08 PM Re: Tyros 3 Preliminary Iinfo
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I can...for me it would be a definite....maybe.

What about you, genesys?

Would you actually buy one, or are you just making hypothetical conversation?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 06-05-2008).]

Yes I would!!! I would just have to bring to a gig one keyboard. No module and controler, not two keyboards. One keyboard for playing in arranger mode, full piano, and have more than one split in the right hand. A 76 T3 the most logical keyboard Yamaha could make it would not stop the 61ers from buying it and they get more people to buy.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online