SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#235074 - 05/29/08 02:53 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Until they add something expensive that YOU'VE got no use for, eh Donny?

Expecting an $800 harmonizer in a $1600 arranger seems optimistic, at best. FAR better to provide maybe an expansion slot, and allow the owner to chose what level of harmony (if any) they want... (or decent MIDI implementation to facilitate third party harmonizers).

This is the way to let inexpensive arrangers get better at their primary function, rather than keep them hobbled while the large part of their R&D gets blown on features that few use... (or inadequate quality for those that DO use them), IMO...

#235075 - 05/29/08 07:18 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Zuki,
the PA2x is going to be my baby! As far as the G70 goes, I still want one just to satisfy my curiosity. I have to see what the G70 is capable of.

As far as harmonizers go...

Does the PA2x /800 have the pitch correction that Korg sells as an upgrade for the PA1X??? It is just a software upgrade if I am not mistaking.

#235076 - 05/29/08 07:30 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Zuki I just love my pa800 and the way it records my bass baritone voice.

Unfortunately using the harmonies is confusing for me as I previously owned a PSR3000.

Could you give me some tips to get me started.

I am not a professional am mainly self taught.

Cousin Ken

#235077 - 05/29/08 07:43 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ken,
Harmony 101:
1) study vocal groups like manhattan Transfer, Four Freshman, Beach Boys, Mills Bros, even nSync. You have to THINK like a group b4 you open your mouth.
2) take all the vibrato off the harmony presets, if it has it. You don't want the backup singers to do anything you DON'T.
3) use dynamics as much as possible, and turn the harmonies on and off alot to emulate a real vocal group accenting certain phrases. Unless it's a trademark harmony tune like "Surfer Girl" or the same...use the backing voices in a supportive role.
4) keep the lead simple when you're singing in a group. Don't bend as much, don't trill and embellish like a gospel singer. Stick to the melody and let the harmony create the beauty and excitement !

Have fun!

#235078 - 05/30/08 06:02 AM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hitman,
No the PA2XPRO vocal processor does not have pitch correction, unfortunately... I wish it did. It is not an option either.

Lee

#235079 - 05/30/08 02:53 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
zuki Offline

Cousin Ken,

Good points from UD. Don't let the naysayers sway you from using the built-in harmonizer. It is fabulous and you don't have to pay extra musicians that CAN'T normally sing on key anyway

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#235080 - 05/30/08 02:54 PM Re: Lets Sing HARMONY Shall we?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I thought they lost the patent rights to TC, but Digitech is advertising a new rackmount version of their newest guitar-driven harmonizer that acceptsa both guitar input as well as a midi signal. Looks pretty cool on paper, at least.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 05-31-2008).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online