SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#235032 - 05/28/08 07:58 AM Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
Guitar Guy Offline

I'm a guitar player. I pound around on the piano a little.

I am putting together a home studio. I am looking at keyboards/synths/workstations/whatever-other-label can be attached I've already spent more than I wanted to, but still need keys. I already have tons of great sounds on my computer, so sounds aren't *as big* a concern, but... you know what I'm sayin.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Yahaha MM-6, but the more I studied it, the less I liked the sequencer. It seems to be a recorder, not a sequencer. What does the braintrust here think?

What I am hoping to find is something with some true sequencing. Decent sounds would be an obvious plus. One option that seems to keep cropping up is a Casio WK-3300. I can't find a place to listen to one. Anyone here love-like-dislike-or-hate this unit?

I don't need anything roadworthy, since it will be permanently parked.

Did I miss any details?

I value any and all input.

#235033 - 05/28/08 08:05 AM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
Dnj Offline

#235034 - 05/28/08 08:12 AM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
chony Offline

Loc: New York
If you have a studio, why do you need an onboard sequencer?

I wouldn't touch any onboard sequencer if I have a computer within ten miles.

#235035 - 05/28/08 08:14 AM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
Guitar Guy Offline

Thanks for the quick reply Dnj.

I guess I did leave out a few details. I do have a usb-controller keyboard. I do like the idea of a stand alone keyboard with sequencing capability - at least until I get used to laying down ideas. It seems far quicker and less cumbersome for someone with limited keyboard skills.

Am I going about this with the wrong idea from the start?

#235036 - 05/28/08 08:38 AM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Guy:

Disregard any responses that proposes to answer this question definitively .

Using the information that you've given: 1) you're primarily a guitar player 2) you have limited keyboard skills 3) you want to easily put together 'quick-and-dirty ideas 4) you like the concept of on-board sequencing; I would suggest that you initially abandon the synth/workstation approach and go with an arranger workstation (I think an arranger keyboard IS a workstation when used in this way). You could consider an arranger module (Midjay) since you already have a keyboard controller. Personally, I agree with Chony in that if it is to be used only in the studio, why not just leave it permanently hooked up to a computer with all the fore-stated advantages that that offers. There are many full-featured, inexpensive sequencers (ie Reaper) that will easily handle both midi and audio. That would also open up programs like Band-in-a-box, etc. which could be useful for a non-keyboardist. JMO.

chas

#235037 - 05/28/08 08:52 AM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Guy:
Thanks for the quick reply Dnj.

I guess I did leave out a few details. I do have a usb-controller keyboard. I do like the idea of a stand alone keyboard with sequencing capability - at least until I get used to laying down ideas. It seems far quicker and less cumbersome for someone with limited keyboard skills.

With limited KB skills & your strenght in Guitar why not try OMB or BIAB programs to create songs which would IMO be an easier approach for you with good results depending on the input you inject and add your guitar parts on top also. Check out some of the demos to see if it could work for you.

good luck
http://www.pgmusic.com/bandbox.htm
http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm

#235038 - 05/28/08 01:26 PM Re: Keys for a Guitarist's Home Studio
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would respectfully say that, if you have little experience on either a keyboard sequencer OR a computer one, DON'T waste your time on the keyboard one!

Firstly, as an admitted 'newbie' keyboard player, you are going to make a LOT of mistakes in your playing. All these will need editing to make correct. It is FAR easier to do the editing on a computer sequencer, with it's huge graphical display of what you played, than a tiny display on a keyboard with only a list edit to work with (or a crippled and hard to read graphical display).

Next... add in the fact that you, as a guitarist, are going to want to record your guitar playing (and singing, and anything else audio) so will HAVE to have a DAW, most probably a computer one... So why not combine the two recording systems, rather than have it all split up (twice the stuff to learn) between two places?

An entry level MIDI/Audio package like CubaseSL, Logic Express (if you are on a Mac), or even LiveLE (if you want to use a lot of loop production) would integrate all your needs, AND make it easy to use all the sounds in your computer....

Finally, I would say a nice arranger like a Roland E60 or Yamaha S900 would provide you with all the keyboard stuff you need outside the computer stuff, and both are capable of generating backing tracks that can be saved as MIDI files, transfer to the computer DAW/Sequencer, and finish off the composition there. This is how most people that do full production work that includes an arranger starting point usually work.

Best of luck with what you chose. I have been doing this for at least fifteen years with this kind of rig, and there is NO WAY I would ever hobble myself with an on-board sequencer. It would slow me down immeasurably...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online