SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#234818 - 05/24/08 12:02 PM Backing Tracks
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
I am strictly a home player that wants to sound better (Who doesn't)! What are the best choices for backing tracks (I think that's what they are called). I would like to take the lead, or play along. I am looking for a "fuller" sound than I can generate by myself

Should I be looking for smf/midi files, MP3's, Karaoke, or what? I can input audio from an external source (tape, ipod etc) or use MIDI from a disk.

Where should I look to try some out?

Thanks for helping out.

Bill

#234819 - 05/24/08 12:28 PM Re: Backing Tracks
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What keyboard do you have?

#234820 - 05/24/08 01:21 PM Re: Backing Tracks
clover_kid Offline

Loc: New Port Richey, FL USA
OOPS...forget to mention I'm using a Roland AT-90SL organ. But I'm thinking of adding a keyboard (E-60 or S900) someday. Maybe I should just ket the keyboard and let it do the "backing".

#234821 - 05/24/08 07:14 PM Re: Backing Tracks
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Start here - www.musicrobot.com
or here - www.vanbasco.com

Check my website for a listen; most of what you hear is SMF with live guitar, keyboard and maybe sax and vocals.

------------------
Cass

#234822 - 05/24/08 08:42 PM Re: Backing Tracks
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I think MP3 backing tracks caaaaaaan be good....with some reservations.

Often they are literally bad Karaoke backing tracks with horrible backing vocals and sometimes even a vague lead vocal that just sounds rubbish when you sing/play along.

The other problem is there aren't that many MP3 backing tracks around....

(One thing though, when you find a good MP3 - it sounds wonderful!)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#234823 - 05/24/08 10:07 PM Re: Backing Tracks
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I would recommend more the Midi files, since you can transpose the song to a suitable or easier key for you.
Since I came also from an Organ background, I did use (LONG TIME ago) the Yamaha EL 90 and the module Roland RA95 ( Then both NEW !!)...and worked wonderfully.
The MP3s sound good, BUT no transpose or even the ability to MUTE perhaps some to busy instrumentation.
In the Midi File you can do all that, and also if it is a fast song, you can slow it down to practice until you gain speed/tempo without changing the pitch or key.
I recommend you HIT TRAKS. They also sell MP3's.

Here is the link: http://www.hittrax.com.au/advsearch_H.asp?Dealer=1016&InetOrder=True

I hope it helps you.

------------------
mdorantes

#234824 - 05/25/08 12:26 AM Re: Backing Tracks
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the Atelier is GS compatible, isn't it? It ought to sound pretty good... What kind of music do you want files of?

Lot's of MIDI file sources on the web ( musicrobot.com is one of the better) but they vary a lot in quality. Tune1000 is a good source of high-(ish ) quality SMFs. All GS compatible.

Should you chose the arranger route, I can't recommend Roland's too highly. They have by FAR the best onboard MIDI file editing tools of any arranger. Simple, easy to use, powerful... They can turn a ho-hum web MIDI file into something great sounding in a fraction of the time of anything else, and have a full featured sequencer for fixing those tiny things that the Easy edit mode can't get.

An E60 would fit the bill quite nicely.

But stay on the Atelier to play them, I would seriously suggest using a nice simple sequencer (Cubase LE/SE or Logic Express if you are a Mac guy) to edit the files. Simple stuff, mostly... Mute out Parts you don't want, transpose the odd weird drum note, turn up the bass but lose it's reverb. That sort of thing...

You are not going to like how un-Standardized most Standard Midi Files are!

#234825 - 05/25/08 02:35 AM Re: Backing Tracks
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Bill (Great Name)
Step 1
Get yourself a good music teacher (Preferably one that is familiar with Roland’s) and learn to use what your Roland really is capable of. (I can assure you that once you really make use of your Roland’s capabilities, you will only need simple styles)
Step 2
There is no step 2; the capabilities of your Roland are far in advance of anything that can be performed on a single manual Arranger. (No matter how many keys it’s got)
If you still want backing, make your own (It’s easy to do on the Roland) to play along with, forget pre-packaged or you will end up sounding like everybody else.
Hope this helps

Bill

BTW What type of music do you play?

#234826 - 05/25/08 11:02 PM Re: Backing Tracks
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bill,
if your organ has a gm soundset & you want to create backing tracks of songs that you want to play, rather than being stuck with what you find online, maybe something like Band in a Box might work for you.

There's a demo to try before you buy & a great user forum
http://nn.pgmusic.com/demos/demo_bbw.php

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by clover_kid:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online