SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#234800 - 05/26/08 06:58 PM Re: Mixer settings
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
No offense taken, Diki. I was just attempting some ?dry humor?

I heard a guy playing a Yamaha S90 at a festival this weekend. His technique wasn't perfect, but the keyboard had a very nice upper octave sound. Perhaps I should take Donny's advice and go listen to a self made demo or something from the back of the room. Things do sound different once you move from the direct stage area.

Lastly, you guys should know by now that I'm a pretty decent player and all that. When I ask this stuff, I'm asking for general opinions and personal anecdotes, not EQ 101 for me. I've actually got my stuff pretty much under control. In this instance and in a few others (none of them arrangers) stage pianos have sounded better than mine, that's all. I must say that when I had the G70, the entire keyboard was a sheer joy to play. The e60 is good, but certainly no G70. That said, I'm sticking with the e60 for the forseeable future.

Now, would ANYONE like to post their EQ setting from their specific amp of mixer?

#234801 - 05/26/08 09:15 PM Re: Mixer settings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
OK....

Flat. No EQ at all at the mixer channel input, +3db at 180Hz on the Mastering Tools on the G70 (I like a bit extra presence for the bass).

No EQ on the graphic for the mixer power amp (Yamaha EMX 5000-12 2X500W). 2 JBL SR series 12" and a horn top cabs, Mackie 15" powered sub (just the one!) for the bottom.

I've never played an E60, but we did have some comparison Purgatory Creek files up at roland-arranger of the Natural and Classic pianos. Only thing I heard was that they were darker than my G70, not brighter..

What stage amp are you using? What PA system? What EQ settings are you currently using (including on board Mastering Tools - if the E60 has those)? Does the piano still sound too treble-y if you use good headphones or studio monitors (if you have them)?

Finally, the thing about an arranger is that it isn't JUST a piano. It's everything. So I'd be cautious about laying on a bunch of EQ to the whole thing, for the sake of a piano sound. I'd shoot for getting a good, well balanced sound on the whole arranger first, and then correct the piano EQ using the MFX insert EQ. And I would DEFINITELY use the Recorder to capture your playing, and listen to it out front to make sure that you aren't just getting a weird positional problem.

Final question... Do you turn off the internal speakers when you play out? Try it without them (put a dummy jack in the Headphone output) and see if that makes a difference. The G70 never had speakers, so that MIGHT account for some of the difference you are hearing (built-ins are often a bit shrill and treble-y, IMO)...

Hope this helps.

#234802 - 05/27/08 06:56 AM Re: Mixer settings
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
One last time... this isn't about me! I'm only interested in hearing what others do to make their rigs sound good.

My equipment is: Mackie 808S with matching i300 speakers, EV120a sub, Soundtech 12" or CM-30 monitors, sometimes a Kustom KMA100 keyboard amp.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 05-27-2008).]

#234803 - 05/27/08 12:11 PM Re: Mixer settings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
One last time... this isn't about me! I'm only interested in hearing what others do to make their rigs sound good.

One last time... We LISTEN. To OUR own rigs. We know that adjustments on someone else's rig will NOT work on a different rig. We try things out, and when we find something we like, that's what we use. Simple enough for you?

I'm sorry that these seem "EQ 101' answers, but the truth is, that's an 'EQ newbie' question. Don't bitch about 'newbie' answers to 'newbie' questions, Cass...

You could have tried out every possible permutation of EQ on your own rig in the time you have spent posting here. Truth is, if you don't like the sound of your E60's piano, a bit of EQ is not going to change that. You liked the sound of an S90. If you had heard someone with an E60 that sounded better, you'd have a case. But you can't turn an E60 into an S90 by using EQ!

OK, here's the answer you want.... Cut the highs, boost the bass and mids. Sound better now? Didn't think so....

There is no 'easy fix' for this, no matter HOW many times you ask. Have you actually TRIED anything I've taken the time and trouble to suggest for you, Cass..? If not, it doesn't bode well for anyone else to bother, does it?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online