SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234776 - 05/23/08 11:07 PM Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

When I play the piano, I'm being harshly affected by and experiencing discomfort from the sound of the heavy bass going into my left ear. I definitely need to lower the decibles of sound that is entering the ear canal. I was about to order the ER-25 ear plugs that lower sound evenly across the frequency range (and recommended by an audiologist)....
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/er915and25pr.htmlm

...but I thought I solicit comments from any of you first about your own experiences with ear plugs and if you have a reference yourself for plugs that you're comfortable with.

Lucky

#234777 - 05/24/08 05:32 AM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
I'm all ears Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Lucky,

I am an audiologist (and very amateur muso).

For live music, particularly when you are playing, I would recommend custom made plugs, as they will be more comfortable, and you're more likely to insert it properly , to get the required attenuation (maintaining an acoustic seal will be much better on a custom plug as it will contact a greater surface area of your ear canal).
In my experience, people rarely seem to use off-the-shelf solutions correctly. How often do you see people with earplugs virtually hanging out of the ears, contrary to manufacturer's instructions?

Unless you are doing rock concert-loud gigs, I would go for ER-15 attenuators, as they will preserve more of the high frequencies needed to give the crispness/clarity you need. For raw attenutation, sure, 25 dB attenuators offer more protection, but then if they muffle too much while you're playing, you'll end up taking them them out -and get no protection. You can get different attenuators to put on the custom plug if you decide the attenuation level is not right for your application.
And just to clarify, no ear plug will offer "flat" attenutation, rather, 'flatter' attenuation than full ear plugs. There is still a little high frequency roll-off.

I'm not sure what is available to you in your part of the world, but one make of earplug that I have fitted which is very nice is made by 'Phonak.'

Personally, I have ER25s which are great for really loud gigs but for more moderate gigs which are a bit too loud they are overkill. I feel like I'm missing too much top end with them on. I would prefer ER 15s for my usage.

Hope that helps.

Eugene

#234778 - 05/24/08 05:44 AM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
I'm all ears Offline

Just found this link to custom plugs by Etymotic Research. These are the real deal.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/er915and25pr.html

#234779 - 05/24/08 11:53 AM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, Lucky, but are you talking about an unamplified acoustic piano giving you discomfort? Or are there other factors here?

#234780 - 05/24/08 08:11 PM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Eugene,

Thanks for this information.

My situation: I'm getting irritation in the left ear when I’ve been playing the piano this last month. I've been to an ear doctor twice, the last time was the morning after playing the night before (and the left ear was again affected). Although, it feels like inflammation in the ear, the doctor visually sees nothing wrong.

Understandably, he doesn't play music and particularly a piano with a harsh bottom end.

I've been working on finding what's going on with that ear. In the meantime, I thought I'd best protect it from further damage.

I understand what you said about the ER-25’s. You think the ER-15’s would wear better for my needs? I’ve tried playing the piano with an OTC ear plug (for sleeping), but it drastically changes the music perception (as I’m sure you already know).

A question? Will I get hear the notes of the piano the same (in relation to each, forming chords, etc), only at a 15 db reduction in volume? Or will I hear it as I did with those OTC ear plugs? It’s a very strange world when you’re used to hearing an audience in the background and you’re playing at a comfortable volume, and suddenly (with the ear plugs) you don’t hear yourself the same anymore!

Do you feel ear plugs will allow me to still hear and play normally after the db cut?
Can you give me the site where I can view the Phonak ear plugs?
Shall I stick with the ER-15? You said YOU use them.
With what you wrote about the “seal” around the ear…can I do the mold accurately by myself?
If I go with the ER-15, is there a preferred site to buy them from?

Thanks

MC

#234781 - 05/24/08 08:15 PM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

...duplicate reply

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 05-24-2008).]

#234782 - 05/24/08 08:22 PM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki,

This is the situation that I posted about a month ago and that a few of you helped me with. I've been having this problem since.

It IS an unamplified acoustic piano, but it's "bottom heavy" to begin with...strong bass notes...and very much out of tune. I think this is what's causing the irritation. I call them "dirty sound waves!"

I took a reading from where my physical ear sits and measured the sound at mid-70 db. If I'm correct, that's the level where prolonged exposure at that volume causes damage.

So it's either that or the "dirty sound waves." I'm thinking it's probably BOTH.

MC

#234783 - 05/24/08 11:51 PM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You definitely sound like you've got some kind of infection, even if the doctor can't find it...

Here's the thing... Is this piano at a gig, or is it at home? If it's at a gig, mike it and send it to the house system or a small system in front of you that you can't hear. Secondly, tune it! Whether home or gig! Thirdly, that 70db rating... Was that you banging away or playing softer?

Maybe just playing a bit softer (and use the soft pedal) will bring things down a bit, close the lid, etc.. When you get it tuned, talk to the technician about pricking the bass hammers to soften them a bit. That can help with a piano that the hammers' felt has got packed down and hardened.

A heavy blanket over the piano (just leave the keys exposed) is an old studio trick to help isolation. It might help lower the volume.

Hope some of this helps.

#234784 - 05/25/08 05:47 AM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
I'm all ears Offline

Lucky,
Lot's of variables, and therefore many possible solutions depending on the cause of the problem.

If the noise measurement you took was accurate, a level of mid 70s (dB) should normally cause you no discomfort, and should not present a risk in the long or short term to your hearing. However there are lots of ways to measure sound, and I have no idea which method/weighting you used.

I am thinking that 'standing waves' may be a problem in your room, where certain frequencies resonate freely in the room you're in, making the piano sound boomy at that frequency. You can check this by getting someone to play the piano (including that annoying range), and moving your head from the normal playing position, to somewhere else (a metre or two to the left, a metre backwards etc...) and seeing if the sound changes with position. You could try moving the piano's position relative to the walls and other reflective surfaces. Or as has been suggested, attenuating the piano by dampening it with a blanket or other means.

Another possibility is you have 'increased sound tolerance' which is a pathology of the hearing system. Using earplugs while playing is good if this is what you have.
(BTW - has your hearing been tested?)

Re earplugs:
Given the Etymotic Research filters are available to you locally, I would go with those. They are a high quality product. Don't worry about Phonak.
My plugs have the Etymotic Research filters, but with locally made earmoulds.

If it is just an acoustic piano, the ER15s should sound OK, depending on how loud you play the piano. If you are in fact playing loudly, then ER15s would sound fine. If you are playing softly, then ER15s would probably attentuate too much and sound a little muffled.My best guess is that they will sound clear, but a little 'different', they'll take a little while to get used to (coz everything is softer), but you will prefer the comfort.
I think getting someone to take a mould for your plugs is safer than doing it yourself. Basically, you can't see what you are doing in your own ear canal, and you won't know how far to push (safely). And you can't allow for obstacles (like wax) if you can't see it.
Catch is, it will probably be more expensive through the audiologist. But then, they can check you are fitting them properly. (Most people I fit with earplugs usually put them in incorrectly and need a little help to get them started.)

I think tuning the piano will obviously make it sound better, but I don't think it will improve your loudness sensitivity.

Regards,

Eugene

#234785 - 05/25/08 09:32 AM Re: Is anyone using ear plugs and your experience with them?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
All I know is, the more effective the earplugs, the better I sound.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online