SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#234771 - 05/27/08 07:42 PM Re: Who's Giggin' Memorial day Weekend?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ, I respect you as much as anyone I know, but I can't imagine performing and not interacting with the audience. Musicians are hard enough to please!
I love ya man, and this is NOT athe start of an argument. Just another look at the same subject. I feel better about my performance when someone appreciates it. I'm sure it's different for all of us.

Now......when you comin' to visit huh? My Phills are RED hot ( 50 runs in the last 3 games ! ) Come get a hotdog with me....

#234772 - 05/28/08 04:55 AM Re: Who's Giggin' Memorial day Weekend?
Dnj Offline

I agree with Dave......the battery between Musician & Audience is the charge that makes the magic happen.

#234773 - 05/28/08 01:03 PM Re: Who's Giggin' Memorial day Weekend?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Anybody that thinks that interaction with other musicians onstage precludes interaction with the audience AS WELL is basically ignoring the evidence of their own eyes... There are uncountable numbers of musicians that somehow can interact with both the band AND the audience (and yes, there are some that can't! Is this you? Surely not... ).

Is this just too hard for you to do, or is this just one more 'spin' to justify your choices?

Why do we keep sticking up 'artistic' reasons for something that is entirely a financial decision? There's no shame in that decision, why keep 'spinning' obviously spurious reasons for it? Just say the truth.

No-one to split the money with, and a cheaper overall cost for the venue, so easier to book. Nothing wrong about that...!

#234774 - 05/28/08 01:16 PM Re: Who's Giggin' Memorial day Weekend?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, Dave, no disagreement at all. The audiences I love watch the interplay between players...anticipate "trading fours", modulations, medleys, etc. That's a major part of the experience, particularly when listening to jazz.

Miles and others used to play with their backs to the audience. Even I'll admit that that is a little extreme.

People who focus primarily on entertainment just approach the job a little differently than I do.

Works for me, and I hope your approach keeps working for you!

Be well, everyone!

Russ

#234775 - 05/28/08 01:32 PM Re: Who's Giggin' Memorial day Weekend?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Oh, Dave, forgot...don't follow baseball or any sports at all. Been to one University of Kentucky basketball game (on a job assignment for UK Alumni publication), and get free season tickets. Been to Keeneland and Churchill downs (home of the Derby) once each. Worked a private party at the tracks). Never been to a professional sporting event in my life.

Russ "dull boy" Lay

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online