SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#234603 - 05/21/08 11:04 PM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I heard a demo of the Emulator II when it first came out. It was incredible. But that is now utterly ancient technology, but the demo would STILL be jaw-dropingly good. Great playing, and great sounds sound good no matter when they are made, and what they are played on.

But you merely have to go to the websites of the current über-orchestral libraries to realize JUST how far things have progressed, and at a fraction of the price. Just how much is that Lowery? $30k+? What about a TOTL Wersi? Similar? A TOTL computer system, controller keyboards and a TOTL orchestral library is easily half that, and 100 times better sonically. Not to mention something as cheap as Garritan Personal Orchestra, which with good programming and playing, could, IMO, easily sound as good as that Lowery clip. A $299 piece of software.

Now whether you can PLAY something that well (and make up the patches and programming) is up to you. But you certainly don't need to buy a keyboard roughly the cost and weight of a nice car to do it, anymore. Unless you DO want to play Blackpool, that is...

#234604 - 05/22/08 12:12 AM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
How much does an engineer cost to set up this Computer based system and keep it updated and running smooth. (Not everyone wants to be stuck in front of a computer screen, most just want to get home, switch on and play)
Another point to remember is how many partners would allow multiple keyboards, wires etc in the lounge. (This is where most instruments go; and they become part of the furniture)
So while you are correct about it is cheaper to use a computer, (Providing you forget about the engineer costs) in reality in most cases it is a No Go proposition.

Bill

#234605 - 05/22/08 04:35 AM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You must remember that these guys are playing all this music "live" which is pretty difficult with a computer based system.

Sure, you could do the same with an arranger with a second keyboard and bass pedals, but it wouldn't look as elegant as having the one dedicated instrument.

Jim Vogelman, on the Lowrey, has a terrific orchestral approach...an excellent player, to be sure.

Ian

#234606 - 05/22/08 06:42 AM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I tried the software arranger approach.
Excellant sounds avilable for sure. But to do the integration and get it all to work well with a controller kbd... lots of hours and work. I eat MIDI for lunch, but still a challange.

I ran into two big problems.
1) Most of those soft synthes (GPO as example) DO NOT even accept bank/program changes. Yes there is other ways to do it (key switching) but not so good!

2) If you want YAmaha styles, how do you get a killer XG sound set? How do you get mega voices in the styles? NOT

But the flexibility and sound is supurb. Lee

#234607 - 05/22/08 11:09 PM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Want to sound as good as either of those guys?

Trust me, you'll STILL be spending hours and hours setting up the Lowery or Wersi to sound that good. You think those are factory presets they are using?

The Lowery (I don't know what model that is, but the big display and the sounds might suggest some kind of VST capability - I might be wrong) and the Wersi both are anything but simple to set up in the first place. You want that degree of complexity, and sonic choice and quality, you HAVE to deal with computers, whether they sit inside a behemoth case or not... And sorry, guys, but setting up a software VST instrument is nowhere NEAR as complex as you make out.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. For those that haven't probably cracked half the features in a standard 'closed' arranger like a T2 or PA2X Pro, yes, achieving that sound and fluency of changing registrations will be difficult at best. On anything...

But, as I said at the start, forget all that hardware stuff. How many of us have the imagination, the taste, AND the chops to pull off an arrangement like that, anyway? I'd certainly like to hear it if anyone could! Truth is, take the Lowery clip for instance. Break down the sounds in each section. There's nothing I heard there that you couldn't do sonically with a T2, or PA2X Pro. Layers, splits, VERY standard orchestration (no sounds that any of these keyboards don't already have).

Any of you could do something VERY similar, if not identical, if you only had the imagination, programming skill and virtuosity on the arranger you already have. But buying this Lowery, or a Scala is NOT going to make you one little bit better than you already are. If you can't make a T2 do this, you won't be able to on a Wersi, either...

#234608 - 05/22/08 11:37 PM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
abacus Offline

Hi Diki
You are perfectly correct about performance, at least 80% is the player, and the rest is technology.
However you are misinformed about a couple of other points.
1. A Wersi is no more difficult to set up and play then a Korg, Roland, or any other board.
2. The Lowrey uses its own sound engine, and is as far from Vsts as any hardware board.
3. The presets used in the demo are factory standard
4. The Cabinet of the Lowrey is hand crafted out of real wood
5. It is Lowreys new flagship model, and costs £29,900 in the UK (Expect it to be a lot cheaper in the US)
Isn’t music wonderful?

Bill

#234609 - 05/23/08 12:36 AM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I have to admit that I don't really listen much to organ instrumentals, usually turn them off after about 5 seconds, but that Lowery guy, it just had something that hooked me and I had to watch until the end...Excellent playing and arrangement..
Thanks to the OP who found this clip and I will use the link dnj provided to check this guy out some more

#234610 - 05/23/08 11:54 AM Re: Enjoy First and then let the battle commence
abacus Offline

Hi Miden
Just curious as to why you turn off when an organ comes on, particularly as arranger keyboards were developed from them.
If it’s the name, then try and ignore it and listen to the music produced, as you will find it has a less repetitive sound then what can be achieved on an arranger.
Look forward to your reply

Bill

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online