SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#234525 - 05/20/08 06:50 AM SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
John DiLeo Offline

This past weekend I was at a function where the entertainment was a keyboard player using a Ketron SD5 & a female singer.
All I have to say is WOW I was blown away! What a great sound!
The SD5 was very impressive throughout the evening on all counts....& I started to wonder if I made a mistake buying the S900 I have?...At times during the evening I closed my eyes & couldn't tell the difference from a full live band. I also talked to the KB player during his break & he also had tried many arrangers but since he bought the SD5 he said there's nothing like it regarding its styles & sounds I can see & hear why.
I'm so confused now & wonder if I should take the plunge and get one also. I've only heard good things online & now with a live performance I'm really interested.
Any SD5 players please give your input. Don't get me wrong I like the S900 to a point but I feel it lacks that LIVE sound I was looking for.

Thank You

#234526 - 05/20/08 07:30 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi John,
You can have the best of both worlds - buy a Ketron SD3 which is the SD5 in module form. Exactly the same but smaller and without the keys and speakers. Ketron modules work wonderfully through midi and you can play the Yamaha alone, the Ketron alone or the style from one with the sounds of both together. Gives you twice as many styles and twice as many sounds to choose from too.
Best wishes,
Tony - Sheffield UK

#234527 - 05/20/08 08:02 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have an SD-5, and I've been playing an MS-60 (two, actually-the SD-5 is almost a direct upgrade-same speakers, amplifier, etc.) for over 14 years. They're still working perfectly, so I'm still getting used to the SD-5 in the office.

Ketron is the BOMB! Sounds great, and I'm in familiar territory. Still use the old Ketron (Solton) stuff at least three nights per week on a house job.

Operating system is a little different, but it is my brand of preference by far. There are some resale issues (depreciation) and I personally have some problems with the practice by an in the distribution organization selling equipment directly and bypassing distribution (an absolute NO-NO in my book), but the equipment sounds great and is built like a tank.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-20-2008).]

#234528 - 05/20/08 09:13 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I was a ketron user for 10 years and had almost all of their boards. The second to last keyboard that I owned was an SD5 and I sold it. Here's why....

1. The weight, very heavy, especially with ketron's black case.
2. The styles are great but, thats it. ketron stop making styles on disk like they use to.
3. It had a few bugs, just like the past models that they never fixed.
4. For the price $2300 base model, no usb, floppy drive, hard disk, vocalizer are options.
5. the riff is nice but boring after awhile since it never changes.

Ketron sounds are in your face great, but the accompanment can become busy.

Now, I sold it for a Yamaha PSR-s900, I love it, its light weight, usb, micro with vocalizer great styles and voices from the T2. The BEST is the price 1599.00 you can't beat that. I accually got at GC center for a 20% off day, so it worked out to be $1280.00. there are some things thatI miss with the SD5, mostly the latin styles, but thats it. Both boards are great they both do the job very well, but one is $800 cheaper without the extra options.

good luck

#234529 - 05/20/08 09:25 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
Dnj Offline

Now this is what SZ should be about helping others & learning from others experiences with arranger KB's.It's nice to read a thread like this.With everyone just waiting with curiosity in the wings for the next generations of Yamaha & Roland & Ketron to release their latest & greatest....keeping what you have now might be the best bet.

#234530 - 05/20/08 09:29 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I love the SD5. I also have PSR S900, and after playing the Ketron every night all week, the Yamaha just doesn't have the sound I like.
I will soon replace the S900 with a Midjay for my second system.
DonM

#234531 - 05/20/08 11:10 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
John DiLeo Offline

Don & all, appreciate your input.
Coming from one of the top Pro players here on SZ that I've heard as yourself I can really take your opinions seriously as you are in the trenches each night actually performing with the SD5. It's so confusing when you hear so many far extreme opposite opinions. I guess you have to look for whats really right for your personal needs versus worrying about no USB or floppys or a few pounds more or whatever. If it does the job well for you then its the best for you for now No?

#234532 - 05/20/08 11:18 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I've had the pleasure to sell and use many of the top arrangers,

Korg PA800/PA2xpro
Tyros 2/S-900
Ketron SD5/SD1+
Roland G70

Give me a call

------------------
www.audioworksct.com
Frank@audioworksct.com
KETRON,
KORG, MACKIE, SAMSON..........,

#234533 - 05/20/08 11:21 AM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks, John.
Frank will take good care of you. Give him a call. Let me know if I can help.
DonM

#234534 - 05/20/08 12:02 PM Re: SD5 Players how do you like it ?.........opinions
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don...I have a Midjay I'm not using...don't know much about the way the previous owner treated it, however!

Russ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online