SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234328 - 05/19/08 08:55 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
you don't seem to mention it anymore, so I was wondering if you still used it,or whether you'd sold it because it hadn't worked out..

Reason I asked is a Receptor popped up locally on Ebay. I'd sort of half considered getting one to midi to my Korg.
Still can't decide whether it would be worth it for me, or more's the point, whether I can convince hubby I need one, which of course I don't. Still, I luv trying out new stuff. haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie9:
[B]Hi Rikki
I bought the Receptor, originally, to take the place of the KN7000 someday. I didn't count on the lack of style accompaniment. Hence, I use it in the 20 pc band I play in. The Receptor is great as a repository of pristine VST patches and B4II etc, but I am an arranger player, primarily.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#234329 - 05/19/08 09:41 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Bernie,
you don't seem to mention it anymore, so I was wondering if you still used it,or whether you'd sold it because it hadn't worked out..

Reason I asked is a Receptor popped up locally on Ebay. I'd sort of half considered getting one to midi to my Korg.
Still can't decide whether it would be worth it for me, or more's the point, whether I can convince hubby I need one, which of course I don't. Still, I luv trying out new stuff. haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

[B]Hi Rikki
I bought the Receptor, originally, to take the place of the KN7000 someday. I didn't count on the lack of style accompaniment. Hence, I use it in the 20 pc band I play in. The Receptor is great as a repository of pristine VST patches and B4II etc, but I am an arranger player, primarily.

Rikki,

The receptor is just a placeholder for VSt's... So if you buy it, you need to get them vst's too. But i guess you allready knew that.

If you wanna play with vst's on stage. Receptor is a very good option. And since i guess you wanna use your receptor for solo voices primarilly and not for your styles i would not hessitate on buying it...

Receptor is the best sound module anyone could ever purchase.

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 05-19-2008).]

http://keyszone.boards.net

#234330 - 05/19/08 10:20 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What's the total reported latency?

Can you adjust it for higher voice counts, or is it fixed?

#234331 - 05/20/08 02:36 AM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bachus,
I do realize vst's are extra.

I don't perform, wholly & soley a hobbyist .
Hence I don't really need one, just want one. (I luv my toys.)haahaa

Have to wait & see if it gets relisted, it got passed in.

Like Diki, wondering also about possible latency issues.

best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bachus:
[B] Rikki,

If you wanna play with vst's on stage. Receptor is a very good option. And since i guess you wanna use your receptor for solo voices primarilly and not for your styles i would not hessitate on buying it...

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#234332 - 05/20/08 03:04 AM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The latency issues are only present when too many samples are loaded into a multi. For example, I have Collossus and Kontakt II,(to name just two), which have some pretty hefty samples. You can load 8 large patches into a multi, and it would drag down the cpu if all of them were on at once. Even with these huge samples, if you mute a few of them, you are fine. BTW I am talking about samples. Normal VST's present no problems. Another tool is "Snapshots", which does as it implies. You bring up just the patches you need without loading time.

I played my band gig yesterday, using B4II, which is far better than any arranger. I got all kinds of compliments. The program is about $259, and the best B3 emulation out there( in many peoples opinion).

Rikki

With your inquiring mind, you would love it, although it is deep, but well documented, and the Receptor forum is great. Muse owns KVR.

Bernie

#234333 - 05/20/08 06:36 AM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Dnj Offline

I dont know maybe its me?.....I like the concept of BIAB or OMB in theory or any other of these software Based programs, I have dabbled in the past, & yes some of the sounds are good ....but, for me not one can compete with an arranger KB "NAVAGATIONALY" IN REAL TIME ON STAGE for me for seamless flowing playing & changes on the fly, hence the reason for me not to get involved with any of them. What is the attraction for most?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-21-2008).]

#234334 - 05/20/08 12:11 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
There is definitely a navigational impediment if you're playing spontaneosly. There are some who say it is just a matter of getting used to it. Even so, it has to be more cumbersome to perform quick changes that are not anticipated. If you are in a studio, or a band with established sets, it is far easier, and, perhaps, advantageous. I doubt it can be argued that VST's, potentially, produce a better replication of an instrument. The problem with me is that I can't seem to match the articulations found on an arranger, unless I use programs like B4II, that has done it for me.

I have 2 GB's in the Receptor, that is 95% available for VST's. There is a vast potential for anyone experienced in software to make great music, but I don't know if I ever will feel comfortable enough in a OMB situation to leave my G-70, or even KN7000 home.

My ignorance is simply that, because there are many solo players using VST's, and wouldn't ever use an arranger. Different strokes ?

#234335 - 05/20/08 10:34 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bernie,
thank you for all the info on the Receptor.
I'll have to wait & see if the guy relists it. It was going for a bargain price.
I mainly want it for top quality melody voices ( starting to sound like Frank (FLR)haahaa. My other option being a decent desktop pc instead of my laptop.

best wishes
Rikki

[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#234336 - 05/20/08 11:08 PM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Donny,
don't know if you ever use midifiles or mp3's on stage? but Biab could be an option for creating those, rather than trying to use BIAB live.
The songs can always do with a bit of extra tricking up.
As you know, I don't perform, but if I did, not sure I'd want to use the program Live, though apparently some do.

The reason I like it , is that, it has some styles available, that I've never found on a keyboard ie
Classical styles: Orchestral ( Strauss, Mozart etc) as well as piano styles for Chopin etc etc

Soundtrack styles : including Outer Space type themes, tinkly newage piano styles etc etc
Even automatically creates a soundtrack

"you select the genre, length of time, instruments, and fade-in/fade-out options. The SoundTrack adjusts the tempo and duration to match the settings, and then allows you to save the file as a WAV, WMA (Windows Media Audio), or MP3 file for further use in your own projects. Generate original music (over 20 genres) or select from over 50 supplied SoundTrack types (Bluesy/Excite/Healing/Jazzy/Tropics, etc.). For example, you can generate a 30-second audio music clip in the genre of your choice in just a few seconds."

OK so not much use to a performer, & I haven't tried the soundtrack option as yet, but the program does some amazing stuff.
It will automatically generate an intro for a song, sometimes not brilliant, hence I wouldn't want to use it live, but if I keep pressing the "intro" to regenerate, sometimes it comes up with a really nice chord progression. I've used a few of them in my PA800 user styles.

Apart from the strange genre 's I mentioned above, there's a lot of jazz /swing styles available, lots of country styles etc etc
I don't like it's latin styles.
There's 100's of additional styles available, & I always upgrade the megapacks.
Much cheaper than individual style disks.

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#234337 - 05/21/08 04:27 AM Re: Band in a Box real track ( audio track) demo's
Dnj Offline

Rikki & Bernie thanx so much for your replies.....that now cements my curiosity, but I will surly be staying with & performing live using styles & sounds with an Arranger for sure. As far as SMF creation I usually just record my own or delete & add tracks to existing ones if needed.

Good Luck

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online