SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#234132 - 05/12/08 06:51 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
SAFE mode did not work. My geek son took it home and has a Windows repair disk - he's a network admin. Let you know what happens. Til then it's laptop #2.

#234133 - 05/13/08 06:48 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
cassp Offline

Word went out to the tech at Canon today to avoid loading SP3 into any PC. Looping problems are popping up all over the place.

My laptop is getting a new 160gb drive and a new XP install (with SP2 + updates). The old drive will become my new USB music drive. Oh, did I tell you that my first music HD fried itself. Don't know if anything is salvageable. If not, I'll have to re-rip all my CDs and might lose some old downloads.

#234134 - 05/18/08 08:47 AM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
I am of the mind that I will not do firmware upgrades, bios upgrades, Software upgrades until or unless I have PERSONALLY discovered the need for the update as it relates to my use.

SP3 does what? Why do I need it? What is it that is not working that would make me want to change things that are running perfectly?

Thank God for those "early adopters" who live for upgrades, updates and "beta test" them for the masses.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#234135 - 05/18/08 08:48 AM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Tried downloading SP3 yesterday and found that I was short on HD space. So i started offloading some of my mp3/wma files to make room. The computer pooped out. Booted up this morning and found that the computer is trying to go back to a fixed save point, but there is a missing dll, autocheck. Now it just gets to that screen and reboots. Today I'm writing from a spare laptop and having to update it to have most of the things I'm used to.

How do I get past the missing autocheck problem?

Why do you need SP3 enough to deal with even more issues?
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#234136 - 05/18/08 05:36 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
cassp Offline

Hey, it's what I do.

#234137 - 05/18/08 09:40 PM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am in no hurry. There doesn't seem to be any urgent need to risk causing problems. I think I'll wait a few months, let Microsoft bring out updates like they did with SP2 and then get it when it seems 99% safe to do so. Of course no software update is ever 100% safe.

#234138 - 05/19/08 09:25 AM Re: A gift from Microsoft a la SP3 for XP..
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Nigel has the right idea alright. Lay low and wait for the most opportune time when problems aren't so prolific. Remember, if you have an HP/Compact computer with an AMD chipset avoid SP3 at all costs until Microsoft and HP provide a fix for the reboot related problem(s). SP3 is not considered a critical update as I mentioned in my first post so there is no urgent need to update to it at this time, if ever. There are bug fixes and security improvements so needless to say if SP3 provides better security it may well be worth a look and taken into consideration at some point.

I also installed SP3 on my DAW computer that I'm using for recording purposes and everything went without a hitch there as well. Of course every computer system is configured and setup a little differently therefore no software is a 100% sure thing as it pertains to installing it successfully on each system. The big thing Microsoft stressed was disabling antivirus software and also closing out any currently running programs on the computer at the time of install. And also the HP/AMD issue and warning everyone not to install it if you fit that criteria.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-19-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online