SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#233570 - 05/02/08 02:15 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
nielshs Offline

Hi

Dnj, Thanks. The Fantom sounds IMO like a dream.

Quote:
How does compare this midifile played on a G-70 ????

You can hear the E-80 midifile at http://shop.rolandkeyboardclub.com/music_shop.asp?fInstrumentId=8&fProductGroupId=2

Regards Niels

[This message has been edited by nielshs (edited 05-02-2008).]

#233571 - 05/02/08 02:34 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bored? Naw .... I love this thing. I just like the looks of that Fantom - I have no other hobbies!

#233572 - 05/02/08 02:54 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
mmm.... the drum sounds seems too much General Midi drums... I prefer the E-80 drums, feels more "live"... the Mp3 quality of the roland demo is really bad however... too much compressed.

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi

You can hear the E-80 midifile at http://shop.rolandkeyboardclub.com/music_shop.asp?fInstrumentId=8&fProductGroupId=2

Regards Niels

#233573 - 05/02/08 02:55 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi

Regards Niels

Niels your very welcome....May I ask what drove you to purchase this unit....You also have an arranger KB also, no?

#233574 - 05/02/08 02:56 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Bored? Naw .... I love this thing. I just like the looks of that Fantom - I have no other hobbies!

Ok Dave I just thought the "BLUE" was gettin' to ya

#233575 - 05/02/08 03:07 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Uncle Dave Offline

To quote Frank the tank:
"I love you, Blue"
Good times, good times.....

#233576 - 05/02/08 07:12 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Vadim Offline

Did you mean Fantom-G? instead of roland G?

#233577 - 05/02/08 07:20 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Uncle Dave Offline

Roland Fantom G6-7-8.
I just played one ... I was right it IS sexy (looking). Not for me though - I'd buy a Nord, or a Motif first. It's pretty, but very, very Roland. Nothing groundbreaking in sounds to my ears. The recording section seems cool, but again - not what I want.
It's a nice board, but not new enough to get me excited.

#233578 - 05/02/08 09:08 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Roland Fantom G6-7-8.
I just played one ... I was right it IS sexy (looking). Not for me though - I'd buy a Nord, or a Motif first. It's pretty, but very, very Roland. Nothing groundbreaking in sounds to my ears. The recording section seems cool, but again - not what I want.
It's a nice board, but not new enough to get me excited.

User interface and 24 trk recording is good, but sounds -the same.

I would take triton x treme(not M3) or motif XS anyday.

#233579 - 05/02/08 09:09 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, I went to Roland's site, listened to all the demos and watched the video... (and listened to Nielshs's demo)

I'm sorry, but I can't get worked up about this one at all. First of all, you know the thing they are touting the most? Glitchless patch changes... We've had that on Roland arrangers for years, including the G70. You occasionally get a glitch when an effect is changed (their main point, I guess) but with planning (what you have to do to get it on the FantomG as well, anyway!) you can avoid it, too. But basic tone change without the cutting off of the previous sound has LONG been the strong point of Roland arrangers...

Strike one...

Next... a 128 track internal DAW, with a mouse for control. Jeez, guys. C'mon! Anyone who needs a 128 track sequencer for audio/MIDI has already GOT one, with a great big honking monitor (not some little TFT 10" non-touch screen) and more plug-ins than you can shake a stick at...

Strike two!

And only TWO ARX slots (compared to SIX SRX slots on the FantomX) with only two boards available, both of which are dedicated to ONE SOUND EACH... So there goes your expandability....

Strike three... You're outta here!

Strangely, the audio examples of the main grand piano sounded very phase-y, kind of weird, but the video of it was VERY nice, but not THAT much better than the FantomX's main piano (in the G70, too). The new 88 action looks nice, but not to lug around!

And Nielshs's demo... sorry, but even with the 3-band compressor squeezing the E80 version a bit hard, it sounded better OOTB than the FantomG, IMO... I am sure with tweaking, and maybe the ARX drum board, it could be made to be better than the E80, but OOTB, sorry. Not very impressive.

If someone wanted to give me one of these, or a MotifXS, I'd probably pick the XS...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online