Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#233560 - 05/02/08 09:47 AM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian for me not too much from the great G70 & what is has now but add....

LIGHTER Weight
Same G70 keys ....61 keys or 76 keys choice
Independent simultaneous mode operation
Adjustable angle display screen
On Board speakers
Front DUAL USB ports
Many more & customizable D Beam choices

Right on, Donny.
I could live without an adjustable screen or onboard speakers, but the rest of the list is about it.

#233561 - 05/02/08 09:47 AM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No doubt some or most of the Fantom features will be on the new G-?? arranger...I'm curious if any of the new voices will be Roland's version of Super Articulation voices.

Audio to USB and MP3 playback seem to be obvious inclusions, but what about styles? More parts/variations...more interactivity?

Ian

#233562 - 05/02/08 10:37 AM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I doubt (and hope!) that very little from the FantomG will make it to any mythical G80 arranger...

Virtually NOTHING from the FantomX made it to the G70 other than the underlying engine (very fast response and 128 voices and a slight change in effects architecture) and some of the basic samples, including the superb Ultimate Grand, renamed GrandX.

You have to understand that for all but the PA series, these arrangers are NOT based around their WS counterparts. There is next to nothing from the MotifES line in the Tyros2 other than samples, either... And, in all fairness, very little from the Oasys (other than engine and a few samples) and M3 in the PA2XPro. It is still based squarely around the Triton's architecture.

The thing I think most Roland users are looking forward to is a RETURN to some tried and tested behaviors from the very successful G1000, along with the best in it's current OS, such as the Cover Tools, Makeup Tools and new OTS implementation.

What are the touted features of the FantomG? An 8-track audio DAW, and some very intricate modeling of the Rhodes (and little else)... It's not exactly on my front burner of features to have! The sampler section is still (like ALL hardware samplers) too slow for practical arranger use. Possibly some of the loop-slice features might make it to the arranger division, but somehow I doubt it. Despite Ian's contention that the Yamaha's are the 'real' home keyboards, Roland's OS and feature set is FAR more geared for those that DON'T need to be encumbered by samplers, loop-slicers, and a plethora of 'pro' features that few home users will use.

This of course is absurd, as they actually BUILD them for the 'pros', but leave out all the juicy stuff Yamaha waste on their 'home users'

I'm sorry, but the FantomG is NOT sexy, at least in my eyes... It's your mother, dressed up in your teenage daughter's clothes!

#233563 - 05/02/08 10:47 AM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And Ian... You should be ashamed!

Imagine confusing something about the Roland FantomG for something abut the G80

I hope you recover soon, and can get out of the house. It's driving you crazy!

Next you'll be telling us that, because Tyros3 and MotifXS both have the letters 's', 'o' AND 't' in them, that the XS's features will get ported over, too!

Get better soon, my friend....

#233564 - 05/02/08 11:53 AM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Right on, Donny.
I could live without an adjustable screen or onboard speakers, but the rest of the list is about it.

Cass....I hope some of these features come to market....it wont be very long for sure get your wallet ready

#233565 - 05/02/08 12:35 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Wow..... yes, I mean the Fhantom G that was just released yesterday. Looks cool on paper, haven't had time to hear it ....... and Russ - You may BE RIGHT !!!!!!!

#233566 - 05/02/08 12:50 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
nielshs Offline

Hi

I have just got the Fantom G7. I recorded a demo with a E-80 midifile. Im playing the solo-sound.

Season In The Sun

Niels

#233567 - 05/02/08 01:40 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Wow..... yes, I mean the Fhantom G that was just released yesterday. Looks cool on paper, haven't had time to hear it ....... and Russ - You may BE RIGHT !!!!!!!

Dave get bored with the Pa800?

#233568 - 05/02/08 01:43 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
mrdave Offline

Loc: Rimini, Italy
How does compare this midifile played on a G-70 ????

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi

I have just got the Fantom G7. I recorded a demo with a E-80 midifile. Im playing the solo-sound.

Season In The Sun

Niels

#233569 - 05/02/08 01:47 PM Re: The new Roland G is sooooo sexy
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by nielshs:
Hi

Season In The Sun

Niels

Niels thanx for posting your work I enjoyed your renditioning of this song. Good luck with your new unit.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online