SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#233328 - 04/28/08 06:18 PM small 25 to 32 note sound making keyboard to add to arranger?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi,

I'd like to consider adding a small "2nd keyboard" to my arranger setup. For now, I had used a MIDI controller (a Roland / Edirol) which controls my Technics KN-7000 via MIDI.

I want to try an alternative with my S900. I'd like to find a used (since I can't find any new), small form factor keyboard that makes its OWN sound (i.e. has an SGU or sound generating unit within it). Ideally I'm looking for one that is about 2-1/2 octaves long. Ideally, one that has buttons for quickly calling up say 10 most popular sounds. Hopefully one that is compact in form factor / design.

Does anyone know of a keyboard that was out (even years ago) that meets these criteria? I sort of remember that Yamaha had one with 3 octaves, mini keys (not ideal) and its own sounds (sample playback) that were pretty good. But I can't remember the model # at all!

I'm *NOT* looking for a MIDI controller, or anything involving using a computer too. I just want a simple small keyboard to add as a "second manual" to my arranger setup, to play on occasional solo sound, independent of the sounds I have set up on my arranger. Compactness and ease of calling up a dozen or so frequently-used sounds are the primary need.

Thanks for any info or pointers to such a keyboard! Then I can start searching EBay to try to buy one!

Jim
Technics KN-7000, Yamaha S900

#233329 - 04/29/08 06:45 AM Re: small 25 to 32 note sound making keyboard to add to arranger?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-SK1XG-Midi-Ke...rksidZp1638Q2em 118Q2el1247

Yamaha produced a mini-37 with and without speakers.

Also, there's the Roland Pro-E.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-29-2008).]

#233330 - 04/29/08 10:40 PM Re: small 25 to 32 note sound making keyboard to add to arranger?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Korg have just brought out the Micro-X using the Triton synth engine. A 2 octave powerhouse.
http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=microX&category_id=1

#233331 - 04/30/08 04:56 AM Re: small 25 to 32 note sound making keyboard to add to arranger?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks for the responses! I am looking into one of those Yamahas (3 octaves, mini keys) - that new Korg looks like exactly what I want - wish it were 2-1/2 octaves though! I used to have a 2 octave controller (to my Technics) and when I changed to a 2-1/2 octave controller, it made a surprisingly big difference in ability to use to play a solo sound in any key. Seems like 2-1/2 octaves is the minimum to be able to play most any solo line w/o running out of keys!

Thanks, I'll be checking into both of these more . . .

Jim

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online