SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#232937 - 04/24/08 08:50 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Unfortunately, I don't have all the specs on the Radio Shack speaker, however, you may want to check with the technicians at http://www.simplyspeakers.com and they may be able to render some assistance. Also, Pose replaced his mid speaker as well and says it made a world of difference. Might want to give him a call or drop him an Email.

As for the Pro-Look--I don't think it's an issue. Most audience members do not look at your speaker setup, and if they did the vast majority wouldn't have a clue. The setup is quite clean, no clutter, no stands to contend with and the mini-tower is held firmly in place with a patch of Industrial Strength Velcro.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232938 - 04/24/08 09:16 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
How about these babies!!

$250,000
1700lbs each!!!
http://tinyurl.com/4vzhph

Jerry

#232939 - 04/24/08 10:44 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
As for the Pro-Look--I don't think it's an issue. Most audience members do not look at your speaker setup, and if they did the vast majority wouldn't have a clue. The setup is quite clean, no clutter, no stands to contend with and the mini-tower is held firmly in place with a patch of Industrial Strength Velcro.

As i've said, I give all of you Logi people lots of credit. You do your best to make your setups look GOOD. Pro? I can't say so, but IMHO attaching those plastic enclosures to a board isn't my idea of 'pro. Cudos for the wiring improvements and everything else, but IF I were to use this Z setup I would want to put the Zspeakers in a cabinet similar to Gary's middle channel cab. Three of those, left-center-right could be stacked or paneled and LOOK more commercially pro. Audiences may not make an issue of a good looking setup, but...

I'm sorry if I offend any of you good people here. That's not what I'm about. If you like the Logitech system, use it and enjoy it. It's just not my cup of tea.

#232940 - 04/24/08 03:48 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:

Hi Tony,
Tony do you play out at this time also?

John, Yes, I do ...
Diki ... granted, I don't play "clubs" anymore ... but the 5500s serve me very well for CC dance halls with 150 people + ...

As for the 'pro' look of speakers. does the Bose PAS qualify as a "pro" looking spkr system ???

Donny ... not a kn6500 ... I have the kn6000. and yes still using it very well ...

t.

#232941 - 04/24/08 09:22 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Lucky2Bhere Offline

The Motion Sound review from one of the trade magazines:

PRO’S: Wide, clear sound, compact size. Subwoofer out makes it possible to build a scaleable system.
CON’S: Only two pairs of inputs. No tilt-back feature. No effects loop.
BOTTOM LINE: An excellent choice for small venues.

When we reviewed the KP-100S’s big brother (KP-200, Feb. ‘03), we praised its big, beefy sound and deceptively wide stereo imaging. I’m pleased to say those two attributes are found in the little guy as well. As you’d expect, the 100-watt KP- 100S won’t get quite as loud as its 200-watt sibling, nor will it provide quite as large a stereo field, but it delivers impressively on both counts.

Active EQ can boost or cut each frequency band, and though the panel is labeled with values from 1—10, the number 5 is replaced by the letter N indicating “nominal” or no boost or cut. The EQ points are well chosen and musical. It was easy to clear up muddy Rhodes and Wurly sounds, and equally easy to fatten up thin-sounding imitation analog synth sounds. But not at the same time, as the KP-100S’s EQ is global. Big bottom spoken here: The amp is roughly the size of a Fender Princeton, and sounds completely at home pumping out fat synth basses, concussive kick drums, you name it. Well done. If you need even mo’ bottom, there’s a jack out back that passes all signal below 100Hz to any powered subwoofer (like Motion Sound’s SW-IS at $949).

The stereo expander sounds to me like it’s been slightly enhanced since the KP-200, but perhaps the effect is simply more noticeable because the 100’s cabinet is smaller — the stereo width defies the dimensions of the box even more. As before, this effect is best used sparingly and works its magic only with stereo inputs. At extreme settings, a slight hollowness makes itself known.. Mono sounds stay resolutely mono no matter what you do.

The mic input (dynamic mics only — no phantom power) offers the singing pianist or duo the opportunity to forgo the P.A. on small gigs. There’s enough gain to give a saxophone a little help (Saxes are pretty dang loud anyway) and more than enough to get a vocal out over a digital piano. The mic input has a dedicated volume control, something the 200 lacked. An effects loop would make that solo or duo act sound even better, but no such luck.

The left and right XLR outs make the 100S useful as a two-keyboard mixer/stage monitor, but I want a tilt-back feature too. With the amp on the floor, you’d need ears below your knees to hear any high end. A stand socket would be even better, but.— the story is the same as with the KP-200: The internal baffle board that separates the two speakers is exactly where you’d want the socket.

The KP- 1 OOS continues Motion Sound’s unbroken streak of creating solid, great-sounding keyboard amps that offer something you can’t get on competing models. Try one out for yourself, with my hearty recommendation.

KEN HUGHES

#232942 - 04/24/08 09:43 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Scott,

I’ve been using EV’s for many years now. I currently own the S-100’s, S-200’s (long-throw) with sub-woofers, SX-300’s, and the SC-80-BP speakers for “side-fill.”

They are excellent sounding speakers, but I’m finding although they have good crystal-clear coverage, they don’t give me any depth of sound. I only use them for smaller rooms.

Lately I’ve been listening to the Mackie 450’s. Although they sound a bit muddy next to EV’s I admire the power they (the Mackie’s) put out for dancing. I have to set up two S-200’s and two S-300’s to match what Mackie puts out in just two speakers.

One thing that DID help a lot was my amp head. I went into the music store to buy a new QSC high-power rack mount amp and was all set to plop my money down when I saw an aberration sitting on the shelf. A DYNACORD POWERMATE 1000 MIXER/AMPLIFIER. I tried it and was blown away by what it did for those EV’s…woke them right up. And the amp is rated at only 500 W.

The amp weighs quite a bit (appx 50 lbs.) but I won’t go out the door without it now. I’m eventually going to listen to the 450’s Version 2 that just came out and consider buying those if they’ve managed to clear out that muddiness.

Lucky

#232943 - 04/24/08 10:04 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Scott, I’ve been using EV’s for many years now. I’m finding although they have good crystal-clear coverage, they don’t give me any depth of sound. I only use them for smaller rooms.

Lately I’ve been listening to the Mackie 450’s. Although they sound a bit muddy next to EV’s I admire the driving power they (the Mackie’s) put out for dancing.

Lucky, I concur with your keen comparison analogy here. I too owned the Mackie 450's but had to return them more because of their awkward size & balance & slick surface, making them difficult to easily transport. In fact my first gig with them required me draggging them up 2 flights of stairs leaving me a aching backs for two weeks.

My venues are primarily acoustic in nature and usually more geared to listening than dance oriented so perhaps that's the reason I prefer the EV's for their clarity of sound vs hyped omph needed for dance club venues.

Great to hear your discovery that the DYNACORD POWERMATE 1000 MIXER/AMPLIFIER has brought added omph and life to your EV's giving you the best of both worlds now. Congratulations.

Scott

#232944 - 04/25/08 01:39 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One thing to always try out in a store, when you comparison shop for speakers is their efficiency. Rather than have to buy a monster power amp to drive a set of low efficiency speakers, just set up a test CD into a powered mixer, and start plugging in different speakers without touching ANYTHING.

You'd be amazed at how much difference in volume different speakers, even ones from the same manufacturer, put out given the same power IN...

All other things being equal, efficient speakers will save you a fortune in high power amps, and these are usually the heaviest thing to lug around...

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online