SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#232917 - 04/23/08 11:48 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'm sure if the Logitech's had the word Bose written on the side, and cost ten times as much, you would all have a MUCH higher opinion of it...

#232918 - 04/23/08 11:49 AM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Cassp, is that Ampeg the flip-top? If it is, I love them. got one I just refurbed. Also, have a 145 and a 147RV. They're two of my all-time favorites. Sadly, let my Farfisa go 10 years ago. The C-1 has a pretty good simulation.

R.

#232919 - 04/23/08 01:38 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Dnj Offline

Scott good to have you back on SZ again. You were truly missed. Hope you stay awhile & join in the discussions. Whats new in your musical West Cost world lately?

#232920 - 04/23/08 02:25 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

Unfortunately, the speaker is no longer produced by Radio Shack, but most similar speakers will work just fine. It's a pair of 5-inch, 8-ohm speakers housed in a lightweight wooden cabinet. Setup time for the sound system alone is less than three minutes. I'm in the process of modifying the plug in the back to a flat 9-pin connector, which will cut the setup time to less than a minute for the sound system.

Good to see you posting again,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232921 - 04/23/08 02:26 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Scott, welcome back. Stick around and join in the reindeer games.

Russ, yes it was the flip top Portaflex. Yeah, it was a great amp, wish I had one now. Way back, I had a chance to buy a Vox Westminster bass with two 18" cabs. I passed on it because I was downsizing - should have bought it. I think that would have been one helluva sound, even with only one cab.

#232922 - 04/23/08 02:44 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Beakybird Offline

It has nothing to do with it saying Bose or Logitech.

I own the Z-5500, and I wouldn't think of taking it out on a gig unless my main speakers failed.

Look at the speakers. They're made of thin plastic. There are five of them. They got a lot of thin wires sticking out of them.

Whether it said Bose or Rolls Royce, the Z-5500 looks like a home audio system. It doesn't portray professionalism like a powered speakers do.

Also, from my experience, home audio systems do not produce the same volume per watts that a professional powered speaker delivers. My Eon10s were a lot louder than my Logitechs. I can turn up my Logitechs all the way in our small den, and it sounds loud, but not overpowering. If turned up two Eon10s all the way in my den, it would be uncomfortably loud.

Beakybird

#232923 - 04/23/08 03:16 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Scott
Come on back and join the fun. You have been missed by me too.
Bernie

#232924 - 04/23/08 03:21 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
Beakybird Offline

Yes, it is very nice to see Scott post on the forum. He is a good, albeit long distance, friend.

Beakybird

#232925 - 04/23/08 06:36 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
It has nothing to do with it saying Bose or Logitech.

I own the Z-5500, and I wouldn't think of taking it out on a gig unless my main speakers failed.

Look at the speakers. They're made of thin plastic. There are five of them. They got a lot of thin wires sticking out of them.

Whether it said Bose or Rolls Royce, the Z-5500 looks like a home audio system. It doesn't portray professionalism like a powered speakers do.

Also, from my experience, home audio systems do not produce the same volume per watts that a professional powered speaker delivers. My Eon10s were a lot louder than my Logitechs. I can turn up my Logitechs all the way in our small den, and it sounds loud, but not overpowering. If turned up two Eon10s all the way in my den, it would be uncomfortably loud.

Beakybird

USE WHAT SUITS YOUR NEEDS, whether it be based on looks, size, color etc. ....but...
A number of folks have resolved the wire issue by converting to 1/4" plugs and wrapping the wires in a 'harness'.

Do the latest Bose speaker systems look less professional than big box speakers just because they are small ?!?!?

I thought speakers were judged on their sound, NOT their looks - except perhaps if you are playing in rock clubs, where I guess the SIZE of the speakers matter to the audience ...

I don't know about volume per watts, and no doubt some other speakers are louder, but I know I wouldn't turn up my 5500s all the way in my house for fear of shattering a window, not to mention the eardrums of the dogs across the street ...

I also know that I am very often complimented on the sound, and I use the 5500s almost exclusively ...

BUT ... that's why they make vanilla, chocolate, and all the rest ...

t.

PS ... Scott Yee ... good to have you back ....
t.

#232926 - 04/23/08 07:36 PM Re: The Motion Sound KP-200S Amp
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with everything Tony just posted. Watts are watts--it's not rocket science. And, during the past decade sound systems have changed dramatically. Speaker cabinets are quite a bit lighter, made from composite materials instead of heavy particle board, the speakers are much smaller, but have significantly more travel, and the sound quality has improved by an incredible margin. Size is no longer a factor, and anyone that has owned those old monster speakers and switched to smaller, lighter speakers knows this is a fact. Clarity has really improved over the past decade, and sound dispersion is beyond anyone's wildest dreams when compared to just five years ago.

As for appearance--it's a non-issue. No one has ever said to me "Wow! Those monster speakers really look good and sound great." And that was when I was playing with speakers that required a forklift to get them into the venue.

For those that think those tiny speakers cannot push enough air--think again. THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF SOUND SYSTEMS. Keep in mind that 24 3-inch, long-throw speakers probably move considerably more air than two 15-inch standard-throw speakers. And, the new, space-age materials that today's speaker cones are made of punch out far more sound than paper cones of just five years ago. Welcome to the new world of sound systems.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online