Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#232488 - 04/19/08 12:44 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:

If you want to make it in music you have to know your audience.

She plays all types of music; the video on her site was played at a venue that was attended by a more mature audience.
She would not have played that type of music for a TV show that featured Simon Cowell.
Regards

Bill

#232489 - 04/19/08 02:52 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It just makes you wonder what she could have achieved on an arranger that she couldn't have done just as well on a piano.

If she HAS chops, and can sing, why gild the lilly?

Simon wouldn't have gonged that...

#232490 - 04/19/08 06:35 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Some of us have "chops" but don't play piano.
I never played piano. I could learn I suppose, but I don't choose to. I play arranger. And pretty well too.
I can play organ, or trumpet, or guitar, or bass, but not piano.
You CAN be a musician without being a piano player.
DonM

#232491 - 04/19/08 07:14 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
John DiLeo Offline

I agree with Don,

I'm a good Arranger KB player NOT a traditional trained Piano player. I also play about 8 other instruments also. That's why I dont care about 76 keys that much.....61 is fine for me & my needs for now. I cant wait for the Tyros 3 to come to market, I have a feeling we are going to be blown away by it for sure......but what do I know?

#232492 - 04/19/08 07:58 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Just a thought - who really give a S**** what Simon Cowell thinks anyway.

Yep, that about sums up how I feel about it.

Ian

#232493 - 04/19/08 08:18 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Retired Offline

Loc: England
In any subject if you want to excel then you need to learn the rules from the most competent teacher possible.

In most disciplines there are those who are highly qualified, those who have learnt to the best of their ability, and those who are self taught, with varying degrees of competence.

I’m sure that each person could justify to their own satisfaction, their level of competence in their chosen subject, which may or may not be accepted by another person, depending on that person’s level of arrogance.

Just my opinion.
Fred Wren

#232494 - 04/19/08 01:56 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

I guess, though, that once you decide to perform in public, playing to your OWN satisfaction is no longer enough...

You HAVE to satisfy the listener, as well! Whether it's your relatives, or Simon Cowell...

That's one of the problems with arrangers. It can lead those with NO musical ability whatsoever to assume they DO, inflict it on the public, and then we all stand around and wonder WHY arrangers have such a poor rap. They certainly didn't get it for no reason whatsoever!

To be honest, I think the 'arrogance' comes from deciding for YOURSELF that you have 'talent', no matter what other people say...!

#232495 - 04/19/08 06:31 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Retired Offline

Loc: England
If a person is making a living, playing an arranger to his own satisfaction, without any musical ability whatsoever, and not satisfying his listening public, perhaps he did the right thing to ignore what other people had to say about his talent.
Fred Wren

#232496 - 04/19/08 06:44 PM Re: If your depressed dont read this
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Arrangers are a means to an end. They provide artificially what the musician cannot provide naturally - for better or worse. Give me a great drummer, bass player guitarist and horn player at my beck and call and I'll drop the arranger.

As for the video of the young girl playing, she sounds as good as a theatre organist. Is what she's doing any different. Long live the organ. I'd prefer an integrated 2-manual keyboard (and maybe some pedals) to two separate keyboards any day.

#232497 - 04/20/08 01:44 AM Re: If your depressed dont read this
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
If a person is making a living, playing an arranger to his own satisfaction, without any musical ability whatsoever, and not satisfying his listening public, perhaps he did the right thing to ignore what other people had to say about his talent.
Fred Wren

Fred, take a look at what you've written here...

What possible chance does anyone have of making a living playing music if he DOESN'T satisfy his listening public?

I'm sorry, but to pull off a paid gig, you HAVE to have some musical ability. It doesn't matter one iota if you have been trained or not, it doesn't change whether you have ability or not. LOTS of 'trained' players with little or no ability, and lots of untrained players at the top of their game...

But you want to make an audience happy...? Then you have to have SOME kind of ability. Or be a DJ...

The arranger's bad rep comes from folks with NO ability still inflicting their playing on the public. It sure as heck didn't come from GOOD players, now did it?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online