SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#232414 - 04/17/08 04:39 PM Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

My previous experience has been with the JBL Eon10 G2s.

There really is no comparison. The Maxx 2As weigh 4lbs more, and they are bigger. The specs put them at 2" taller and same depth and width. In reality they are 2" taller, but being more rectangular and box-like, they are bulkier.

They are 250 watts versus 175 for the Eon10s. These are just as loud at 6 o'clock on the volume pentometer as the JBLs are at 9 o'clock.

I am playing these with a PSR S-900 which has onboard speakers, so my impression is slightly colored by having the same sound coming from the PSR-S900.

The FBT Maxx 2as have a much deeper bass response. It's as if there was a subwoofer in the room. Not too bassy, but you just hear the sound of the bass much more prominently. The JBLs frequency response is 90hz-16,000khz. The Maxx 2As response is 50hz-20,000khz. The only difference I have heard is the deeper bass. I haven't listened to them by themselves A/B, but I will do that soon.

The Maxx 2As don't have as big of an angle when on the floor. They point up at a 40 degree angle from the ground as opposed to a 60 degree angle for the JBLs. I like the JBL angle better.

The Maxx bags are actually covers. I prefer the JBL speaker bags that have zippers, because I can keep my power cable and audio cable plugged into the speaker when I put it in the bag.

The 4lb increase in weight is not noticeable, and I think that the sacrifices I have mentioned are worth it, especially since I will be prepared for much larger venues than before.

Beakybird

#232415 - 04/17/08 07:40 PM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for the heads up Larry.... FBT always was a sleeper company, JBL a little over rated ?

#232416 - 04/19/08 01:36 AM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Why not put a jack in the headphone socket of your S900 if you want to hear the FBT's without the colorization from the built-ins?

Mind you, I never have been a fan of JBL's low end stuff. Those MR series are the worst junk I think they have ever put out, and I'm not so fond of the Eon's either. But trust me, JBL's reputation was built on the high end of their line, and no doubt about it, the SRX line is worth every penny! The most reliable, great sounding speakers I have ever used...

We've had a pair of the smallest ones (of the older SR line) in a marine environment on the beach in Florida at full concert level (or close to it!), just a 12" and a small horn/bullet with 400 watts + going into them for nearly TEN YEARS without a single driver issue and impeccable sound. Crystal clear, warm and robust. A pair of 18" subs under them (Yamaha's, Ian )

You get what you pay for... (Those FBT's aren't cheap, either..!)

#232417 - 04/19/08 03:41 AM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

Thank you for the tip, Diki. That will give me a better opportunity to compare these at my leisure.

I have done a couple of dances in the last few days, and I have gotten a lot of people on the floor. At the one I did today, I played at a volume that normally people would complain, but no one complained - maybe because the music sounded so good.

I think the Eon G2s are well made and sturdy. They have been using them for years at my place of worship - both the 10s and the 15s.

The 10s are designed to be compact and light, but it comes at the expense of serious bass. They are perfect for public speaking or to be used with a subwoofer. For NH gigs, I think they're a good choice.

Even though I do a real lot of NH and retirement gigs - about 500 per year, and only 50 other types of gigs per year, I wanted the best compact powered speakers I could afford. The market here is very competitive. With the economy in the dumps, I have to be on top of things to keep my schedule full.

Beakybird

#232418 - 04/19/08 02:40 PM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
John DiLeo Offline

Beakybird good luck with your new FBT sounds like you do even more gigs then Zuki wow!!! 500 per year! I wouldn't worry about the competition with talent like that to have that many jobs there is definitly a good reason for it..

#232419 - 04/23/08 06:37 PM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Beakybird

I wondered if you ever tried out the Peavey PR12P or the Behringer B212A (both 35 lbs)and if so how they compared to your Eons or the FBT's.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVPR112P
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212A

Best
Scott

#232420 - 04/23/08 07:58 PM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Beakybird Offline

I haven't tried those speakers, Scott. To be truthful, I wanted to keep it under 30lbs. The FBTs weigh 28lbs. Jumping up to 35lbs would be too much for me with all of the small gigs I do.

The comparison is kind of apples to oranges, because the speakers you mentioned are 12" speakers. A more apt comparison would be with the FBT Maxx 4A which is also 12" and weighs about the same.

Any speakers bigger than what I am using would not fit in my trunk. My whole setup fits in the trunk of my midsized sedan. Why use any tool bigger than the one I need?

The frequency response on the FBT Maxx 2A goes a little deeper than the Behringer. There are no specs on the Peavey. I am noticing and enjoying the deep, but not overpowering bass and overall clear sound that I am hearing from the FBTs.

I would be surprised if these budget speakers sounded as good as the FBTs. At http://www.tagnz.co.nz/Test%20Report%2010inch%20%20Pow.%20Speakers%20Tools%20engl1.pdf you can read that 11 out of 12 listeners (all musicians) thought the FBT was the best sounding speaker out of the seven tested. It rated highest even in a test where the listeners couldn't see what brand they were listening to. The Peaveys and Behringer look like a great buy for someone on a budget, but I would imagine that if you splurge, you will get a better product.

Beakybird

#232421 - 04/23/08 08:06 PM Re: Played a few gigs with FBT Maxx 2As
Dnj Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online