SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232395 - 04/17/08 12:27 PM Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hey Diki, why didn't you invite us down for this . My buddy just flew down for it; he has a vacation home there. He tried to get me to go with him as he doesn't have an instrument rating (probably shouldn't be flying around Florida without one), but I have to a friend's kid's wedding (my wife's doing, not mine). I went to the website to check it out and it looks pretty impressive. I'm sure you'll try to get to one or two of the events. I would've included the link but I'm sure you know all about it. If you do catch any of the acts, let us know how it was. Is this an annual thing?

chas

#232396 - 04/17/08 12:37 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yes, chas. Sorry, I've been out of the festival loop for a while, usually being busy during it. Gigs from Thur-Mon this week, so I can't go.

Sorry to say, I am not a big fan of many of the acts at this one, MUCH prefer NO Jazzfest. More traditional jazz acts there. Seebreeze Fest has always had something of a 'smooth jazz' bent, and that stuff gives me the willies..

I know it's a lot of folks cuppa tea, but I'm more a straight ahead man. I like my Joe strong! That is, Joe for JAZZ...

But if you DO make it down, call me or email, and perhaps we can get together.

#232397 - 04/17/08 12:42 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BTW, got some of those live tracks to send me yet...?

Love to hear some of your band's work...

Oh, and check out my 'guitar looper' thread. This thing might be VERY cool on Hammond, too.

#232398 - 04/17/08 12:53 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
cgiles Offline

I'm working on it. Ok, I'm lying. I haven't touched it. Everything's still in the H2. But now that you've reminded me....maybe this weekend, since Tiger's recuperating (I'm guilty, I only watch when he's playing). It's probably not as good as I thought it was when we did it; well, the guitar player is, not me. Anyhow, soon.

chas

#232399 - 04/17/08 01:31 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, just ordered an H-2. Any live recording I've done before has been to simply come out of the line out of the Pa, because everything went through there (thi is when I use guitar or piano-not organ).

With the B-3 it's a different story. The B is thru a 147. I could mike it. There is no line out on the Leslie. Are you using a Leslie when you use your H-2? How do you record it?

R.

#232400 - 04/17/08 01:53 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
John DiLeo Offline

Last time I went to one of these local park Jazz Festivals we had to leave due to all the POT SMOKE in the air....it was just terrible. Is everyone doped up at these events or what?

#232401 - 04/17/08 02:42 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
cgiles Offline

Russ, this was just a rehearsal. I just put it on a mike stand (it comes with an adapter) and record everything live using the onboard mics. I'd take a feed if we all used a common mixer. The guitarist plays through some kind of Fender, and the drums are acoustic and lately (for rehearsal) I've been using the Traynor K4.

John, it's the 21st century. Might be time to join it.

chas

#232402 - 04/17/08 03:31 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Last time I went to one of these local park Jazz Festivals we had to leave due to all the POT SMOKE in the air....it was just terrible. Is everyone doped up at these events or what?

John ... perhaps you just have to 'pick your spots' ... it's not a problem at the Newport (RI) JVC Jazz Festival ...
t.

#232403 - 04/17/08 03:59 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Guys – Diki likes the strong Joe (I do too), but I am also a cappuccino nut. The Seabreeze JazzFest link is www.seabreezejazzfestival.com. I have gone several of the last years and it is one of the best things that has happened to this area for smooth jazz lovers. Diki’s also right about it being primarily a “smooth jazz” event. Most of the artists are current ones being carried on the smooth jazz radio links, in fact, the “King of the smooth jazz hill” himself, Dave Koz, is performing Saturday night. I have a gig and am still trying to decide whether I can make much of Saturday’s shows or not (going Sunday). Here are some of the artists to be on the docket:

Norman Brown
Paul Taylor
Alex Bugnon
Chante Moore
Bonafide featuring Slim Man (Dinner Cruise)
Wayman Tisdale
Richard Elliot
Nick Colionne
Rick Braun
Euge Groove
Kim Waters
Joyce Cooling
Four 80 East
Steve Cole
Jeff Kashiwa
Dave Koz

The place will be packed and the majority of folks come from Atlanta and the surrounding areas. Last year I sat next to a family of four that flew in from Salt Lake City. The guy said they come every year and won’t miss it. One of the pluses of course is the beauty of the coast this time of year…no hurricanes and the venue is a block from the most gorgeous beaches in the country. Gerald Albright was here last year as was Kirk Whalum, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Euge Groove, Mindi Abair, and the two hot sax players from “Down to the Bone”. This festival is similar to what you would see in Los Angeles or other big cities – the popularity of it all is enhanced here by the pristine natural setting we live in. It is a beautiful outdoor setting on a grassy knoll overlooking the stage.

If you listen to smooth jazz I can tell you that you would get much more than your money’s worth by attending the Seabreeze events. They even had some “tables for 10” up front priced at $5000 - - and they sold them. Regarding pot… no need to worry down here. This is a very clean family event. Lots of security, cooler checks, and deputies abound.

I’ll be there Sunday. Can’t pass it up… particularly for a local like me, the money is nothing for the opportunity to hear and meet so much talent in so little time. I’ll miss Dave Koz, but some of my other “heroes” will be taking the stage. It'll be a fun Sunday for sure.

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 04-17-2008).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#232404 - 04/17/08 10:03 PM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
John ... perhaps you just have to 'pick your spots' ... it's not a problem at the Newport (RI) JVC Jazz Festival ...
t.

Tony....as I said it was a local venue that was Free so all the Riff Raff attended...
I would assume a Bigger show like Newport
would have security to screen everyone. But it left a bad taste for us.

#232405 - 04/18/08 04:06 AM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
John - Think you hit it on the head. The cost of the festival like the one here in Destin is $80 a day or $125 for the weekend, and that rules out most if not all of the undesirables. The cops take care of the rest.

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#232406 - 04/18/08 04:42 AM Re: Diki - Seabreeze Jazz Festival
John DiLeo Offline

Saxman I hear ya........

I'm still recovering from "WOODSTOCK"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online