SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#232204 - 04/17/08 08:18 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Chas
You don't have to say it.
Two quotes come to mind (right after here we go again) although neither one fits exactly
"thou protest too much" (excuse me for killing that one) and "who are you trying to convince me or yourself."

I'm glad we've had this time to talk now come on..Diki .. Ian.... everyone join us (singing) coumbaya coumbaya

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-17-2008).]

#232205 - 04/17/08 08:40 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But standing on the piano, slamming the lid, messing around inside the frame, strumming the strings, damping by hand... these techniques go back a LONG way before Jamie (Jerry Lee, anyone?). Some of the 'prepared piano' techniques even give ME the willies!

Perhaps it is time that we stopped treating pianos with some kind of religious reverence, and started treating them like other musical instruments... no worse, but no better. ....

They ARE percussion instruments, after all

True, Jamie certainly did not invent hard or unorthodox treatment of a piano - not by any means - BUT, and perhaps I am wrong in this, I hold jazz musicians to a different standard than rock and rollers ...I would not expect a concert pianist to treat a piano that way, nor would I expect jazz musician to ...

I don't think Captain Russ, chas, you, or anyone else here would treat an instrument with no regard for its value ...

And I will always look at a Steinway, Bosendorfer, Chickering, etc., with reverence ...

Question ... If you had a Steinway grand in your house, and little Johnny came in from seeing Jamie's performance and started walking on your piano key bed, would you NOT stop him ???

As for Jamie's talent, I have great respect for it ... I just wish he had more respect for the instrument he plays so well ...

Just my 2 cents worth ...
t.
PS ... sorry to get this thread off topic ...
t.

#232206 - 04/17/08 08:50 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

I'm glad we've had this time to talk now come on..Diki .. Ian.... everyone join us (singing) coumbaya coumbaya

Uh, check spelling. Kumbayah or Kum ba yah.

"Though the song was originally associated with unity and closeness, it is now often referenced sarcastically to connote a blandly pious and naively optimistic view of the world and human nature."

Ring a bell, Mike .

chas

#232207 - 04/17/08 08:55 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:

I still hold that (IMO) a young person with 'pro musician' aspirations, would benefit more from (initial) traditional training on a traditional instrument, rather than an arranger keyboard.
chas

Can anyone logically argue AGAINST that statement??? ...

Like mikeathome1, I too wish I had been more diligent in my musical studies, because, supposedly, I was to be some sort of protege, even though I did not start music lessons until I was 13 yrs of age ... My not being a better musician is due only to my laziness and shortsightedness - but how many 13 year olds have a long range vision? ..
But I thank God, my parents, and my accordion teacher - that's right ACCORDION - for helping me develop a basis of musical interest and talent that has allowed my to ENTERTAIN people for 50 years ...

t.
PS ... and thanks also to the developers and manufacturers of arranger keyboards !!! ...
t.

#232208 - 04/17/08 09:26 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:

Only if we can do it as a polka.

Ian

#232209 - 04/17/08 10:01 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, yes, Jamie A lives in New Albany, Indiana, about 80 miles from Lexington, Kentucky, near Louisville. I first met him in 1966 when he was playing at the St. James Court art show in Louisville. That's before he started his distinguished work as a music professor at the University of Louisville and his work with outside education projects. His family was a leading group in the construction of river steamboats. I admire that, besides being financially very comfortable (I've heard), he really made a name for himself.

The 4 Tv appearances here are produced by the local Jazz Arts Society. They're on public access tv. I'll see if I can locate a copy or copies. If I get them, I'll send them to you if you'll email your address.

His company also sponsors the series. He has to be in his mid 60's. He's fit, and blows all the other local tenor guys off the map.

Thanks to you, Chas and others who recognize the uniqueness of the jazz art form. Chas, the "higher personal standard" factor is something only you and other jazz "nuts" (both performers and listeners) understand.
It's most introspective. Playing for yourself...pushing the envelope to develop variations on the lead line...tempo alterations, structure modifications and more is unique to the art form.

It is a "niche" art form fraught with highs and lows (for some, sadly). The challenge, for me, at least, has been to not let the art form completely control my life...to avoid the lows and spend my musical life enjoying the ride.

And I have.

Russ

Great thread on multiple levels.

Russ

#232210 - 04/17/08 10:04 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Uh, check spelling. Kumbayah or Kum ba yah.

"Though the song was originally associated with unity and closeness, it is now often referenced sarcastically to connote a blandly pious and naively optimistic view of the world and human nature."

Ring a bell, Mike .

chas

I stand corrected I didn't look up the spelling or the connotation

Ian any way you want! I can do Polka!

#232211 - 04/17/08 01:04 PM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, i just called the guy who is active in of the Jazz Arts Foundation and ordered three copies of the Jamey Aebersold series they're doing on local cable. I thought I'd send you and Boo one. They're supposed to be available in several weeks.

Kind of sad. Here's a guy who is at the top of his game carrying the jazz standard by doing local educational cable tv. Says a lot about the acceptance of jazz and about his dedication.

These are bad local productions, but this guy still KILLS!

Russ

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online