SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#232164 - 04/15/08 11:24 PM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
The reason I have gone from workstations to arranger keybords is becasue I am not a drummer, bass player, string arranger, horn player etc.....

When a singer/songwriter like Neil Diamond, James Taylor or Billy Joel writes a song. They do not write the arrangement. The call in arrangers/producers for the type of song they wrote. Michael Omartian, david Foster,Maurice White.....To write and hire the players to play those parts. In some cases the actual band mambers write their own parts...

THATS what an arranger does for me. I write the songs and pick up the "phone" and call my buddy "Quincy Jones" or "Count Basie" or David Foster.....whom in turn hire Steve GAdd, Towr of Power, Stanly clark, Liberty Divito and maybe King Curtiss.....

AS a writer I no longer have to play bass parts like a beginning bass player, or Drums...Not too many songwriters were virtuoso musicians. Many just plunked a few chords on the guitar IE Neil Diamond, James taylor,,,,,,and let the professionals do the rest.

Thats what the arranger keyboard does that no organ ever did. Bring real musicians to the table.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#232165 - 04/16/08 12:27 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you want to play Jazz on a keyboard forget the style section, just stick with rhythm add a good set of bass pedals and a second keyboard (Yes folks it’s an organ) and play.
Alternatively get your self a quality drum machine and stick it by the side of the piano.
Finally go to a few Jazz clubs and listen to Real Jazz, as I can assure you that compared to Real Playing, all the Jazz styles on any arranger are TOTAL CRAP. (You will never make a Jazz musician using them as a guide)
If you do wish to use backing tracks or styles for your music in a live situation, create and play your own, do NOT use pre-canned versions. (The reason Keyboard Artists reach the top is because they play with minimal canned backing, (Normally just the Rhythm section) and spend time practicing and arranging, NOT letting the keyboard do the arranging)
If you just want to come back from the office/work and wind down, then stick on a suitable style and enjoy yourself. (Just don’t think that this makes you a professional musician)

Bill

#232166 - 04/16/08 03:13 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I play an arranger keyboard for all of my gigs.

My audience comes to hear ME.

Am I cheating them?

Nope.

I make MY own styles, write out MY own arrangements of cover tunes(of all genres)and manage to achieve MY own distinctive sound on an arranger.

Are they hearing ME?

Of course they are.

I'm sure there are many other SZ forumites who do the same.

That's what makes arranger keyboards so darn cool!

Ian

#232167 - 04/16/08 04:00 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I play an arranger keyboard for all of my gigs.
My audience comes to hear ME.
Am I cheating them?
Nope.

Ian

But Ian you can play well with or without the arranger functions. I've heard some of your stuff and it is very well done.
I think the topic of this thread is or was, is the arranger an enhancement to your ability or replacement for your ability.

Back to the age old question performer or musician? Is one more legitimate than the other?

Disclaimer: my main instrument is not keyboard so the arranger replaces my ability.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-16-2008).]

#232168 - 04/16/08 04:21 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
ianmcnll Offline

Hi Mike,

Sorry if I went astray....my face is red.

I wasn't trying to go off topic as much as to indicate that the audience does hear the essence of the performer even when using an arranger in auto mode.

I feel it not only enhances a player's ability, but leads him/her into new unexplored territory that will benefit the audience as well.

I've heard some terrific arranger players during my stint with Yamaha....some were untrained but you'd never know it.

What is your main instrument?

Ian

#232169 - 04/16/08 04:25 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
(Yes folks it’s an organ)
(You will never make a Jazz musician)
(The reason Keyboard Artists reach the top is because...)
(Just don’t think that this makes you a professional musician)

Wow, so much wisdom. These are all facts, right? I'm pretty sure I don't own an organ, and how I play ( jazz or otherwise )was never determined by my instruments. I'm sure your words were intended to help somehow, but I don't see how.

#232170 - 04/16/08 04:32 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
If you just want to come back from the office/work and wind down, then stick on a suitable style and enjoy yourself. (Just don’t think that this makes you a professional musician)

And why not Bill?

I do the same thing...I come home, put on a suitable style and wail away and rid myself of all my frustrations....yet, I gig on the weekend and make a living doing the very same thing.

The reasoning behind your statement is a little murky? Can you possibly be a bit more vague?

Ian

#232171 - 04/16/08 05:55 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
OMG ... my eyes hurt. I can't read anymore of this !!!!!!!!!
I'm going to hug every one of my ADHD OCD teens tomorrow!

Gee, UD, I thought they were all HERE !!! ...
t.

#232172 - 04/16/08 06:14 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
John DiLeo Offline

Uncle Dave is right. This is getting a bit nasty, but that's no surprise judging by the temperament in the progression of the posts on this topic. It's sad to see that all this bravado & ego slamming always takes precedence to ruin the overall mood. Who really cares? Just play music & enjoy what you do.

#232173 - 04/16/08 06:29 AM Re: In response to Dan01's request to 'start my own thread'....
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Uncle Dave is right. This is getting a bit nasty, but that's no surprise judging by the temperament in the progression of the posts on this topic. .

Why would you say that, John?

I fail to see any downward progression or deterioration in temperament...and I don't see anything "nasty"...actually I thought this thread was very civil and mostly on topic.

If you want perfect order...SZ is the wrong place to look for it.

I think this is a very interesting topic, and I'm glad that Chas posted it.

Let's see where it goes, will we?

Ian

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online