SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#232103 - 04/16/08 09:52 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:

I'm not sure how a small local music retailer can compete on any level with Guitar Center when it comes to pricing. While I'm certain Cassp's deal from his local retailer was a good one, I highly doubt it was cheaper than GC's price could have been had he negotiated a bit.

Unfortunately, you neither know me nor the store I bought it from, so your assumptions are WAY OFF. I would hazard a guess that many here, including myself, have extensive knowledge of pricing - retail, discount, wholesale, etc. When i say i got an exceptional deal, believe me it was exceptional. GC will not always match prices, not even the manager if you have a special relationship with a local dealer who is willing to give you the best deal possible.

#232104 - 04/16/08 04:33 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
rb293 Offline

Loc: Binghamton, NY USA
I heard that GC is closing some of their C market stores. They have A B C markets with A being big city stores. Also Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are owned by the same company I believe....

#232105 - 04/16/08 05:43 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
A sales person that I know since the Mars days and now with GC, told me when I talked to him a month ago that GC was bought by another company, and then he told me no more discounts or deals like he used to do before for me, he told me that the policy now is that they will match prices or maybe a 5% discount with purchases over $500.00.

As far as GC being own by another company I don't know if it is true or not, maybe they are trying to cover up, but the truth is I'm not getting anymore discounts so bye bye GC, I'm buying from my neighborhood store: http://www.lancasterpromusic.com/

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

#232106 - 04/16/08 07:46 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just got a new Best Buy here about 3 miles from my store and only 1/2 block away from a new Guitar Center. The Best Buy has the new Musical Instrument Store within the store section.
Like someone here posted, it is just exactly like having another Guitar Center in Best Buy. There were all the Yamaha Motifs, Roland Fantoms, Korg M3's, Gibson, Fender, Yamaha, DW, Behringer, etc. etc. But......There was one guy working in the Dept. and I watched him and I didn't think he was any different then the typical GC sales guys. Everything was marked at MAP prices and there weren't any arranger keyboards to be found accept for a Yamaha YPG625.
As a friend of mine from Korg said today
" we've seen the growth of the chain everything stores over the past 10 years. Those little stores that didn't have a "nitch" are probably not around anymore." The feeling in the industry is that this growth of big box chain stores, selling instruments, computers, TV's, Phones, etc. etc. has probably come to a head now. People who need and desire service will still come into stores like mine. Prices are the same but service.........not even close. I pray he's correct.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#232107 - 04/16/08 08:07 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
George I pray he is too because none of us could exist without service.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#232108 - 04/17/08 10:23 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
George will be fine, as will owners of top rate restaurants, vehicle repair establishments, etc.

I don't patronize chain restaurants, Guitar Center or the like. I order from Musicians Friend only when I can't get something locally.

Support you local independent businesses, folks. It's a hard way to make a living, but the good ones deserve our business!

Russ

#232109 - 04/17/08 10:45 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
What I think is going to be interesting is how certain manufacturers will be effected.

For instance, I think that Paul Reed Smith Guitars would not be where they are today without the GC expansion. Suppose GC does start closing stores and PRS doesn't have anywhere else to go ?

I'd put Behringer in that category as well.

I guess they call that the walmart effect.

#232110 - 04/17/08 11:55 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Dan01,
I recall that I bought the first Tyros 2 you sold and shipped to me. Do you still have a mucis store?
Bebp

#232111 - 04/17/08 03:32 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Dan01,
I recall that I bought the first Tyros 2 you sold and shipped to me. Do you still have a mucis store?
Bebp

Thanks for asking and yes, you were the 1st. But I did close my store Nov.1st 2006.
Yamaha was one company that I feel really screwed me... But they were not getting money from the big boys, so they squeezed the little boys.
Regards... Dan

#232112 - 04/18/08 09:54 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dan, interesting (to me at least) is the fact that the largest PRS dealer is Bob Wilcutt Guitars here in Lexington. I had the PRS people tell me that at several NAMM's.

He sells most on the web, I think. Bob is a "big fish" at NAMM. The guys from all the major manufacturers watch the door for him to arrive. He has an awsome "private stock" collection. Can't see how he makes any money with that much inventory, but he must.

Go figure.

Russ

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online