SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#232083 - 04/14/08 10:24 AM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Regards the Best Buy (and similar stores) policy...

I used to work for my state Consumer Affairs dept. so I'm fairly familiar with consumer law. The trick with these stores is this. Go down to your local library and photostat the state consumer laws. When they pull their "bait and switch" or "out of stock" or "we don't give rainchecks" I tell them politely but firmly: "No way, Jose!" Please review the consumer laws which I have printed out here.

It works every time! This is what I do myself and I carry them around with me everywhere, because this stuff happens way more than it should.

Ref the GC situation. I can see it going a step further than that. In the near future you're probably going to see even fewer pro arranger keyboards on the market. Has anyone noticed that no one these days takes the time to learn or play professionally (OR sing even...watch American Idol). Music and performing will somehow be integrated into a computer (which is a natural seque as computers do everything for us now anyway).

Meantime, I'm NOT throwing away any old keyboards!

#232084 - 04/14/08 12:39 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Ref the GC situation. I can see it going a step further than that. In the near future you're probably going to see even fewer pro arranger keyboards on the market. Has anyone noticed that no one these days takes the time to learn or play professionally (OR sing even...watch American Idol). Music and performing will somehow be integrated into a computer (which is a natural seque as computers do everything for us now anyway).

Meantime, I'm NOT throwing away any old keyboards!

..moved to new thread at Dan's request...

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-14-2008).]

#232085 - 04/14/08 12:49 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
John DiLeo Offline

I think there is more talent in playing an arranger at a high grade level with all its parts being controlled by the player at once then just an organ, piano, guitar etc, etc, which is just the one instrument ....it really takes an exceptional skill to put it all together especially at a pro level using a high tech arranger KB to have a great sound.
Maybe some day I will be good enough to be called a pro arranger player like many of the super players here on the SZ like Donny nj, Don M, Fran, Gary D, Uncle Dave, Ian, & Diki & so many more here that I'm sure everyone knows.

#232086 - 04/14/08 12:49 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Forget the arranger features...I would take the sounds of my SD1 over any keyboard on the market. Piano, Strings, Horns , Organs etc..
I like it as a creative tool, but sound for sound.. I wouldn't use anything else.

Just my opinion.

#232087 - 04/14/08 01:02 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
DanO1 Offline

Let's try to keep this thread on target.
If anyone has anything they want to express about what is professional or not professional or whether they can play or not play, start your own thread.

#232088 - 04/14/08 02:29 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Dan,

I just saw on Good Morning America this morning where Best Buy was being taken over by a video rental company. Amazing! I suspect that GC in Towson will be around for a while, but eventually I anticipate they will go the same route as MARS and be outa' here.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232089 - 04/14/08 02:57 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Dan,

I just saw on Good Morning America this morning where Best Buy was being taken over by a video rental company. Amazing! I suspect that GC in Towson will be around for a while, but eventually I anticipate they will go the same route as MARS and be outa' here.

Cheers,

Gary

That's interesting. Best Buy is and has reportedly announced the intention of adding musical instruments.... Annapolis Best Buy store will be the 1st store to implement musical instruments in Maryland.
Video Rental Company ... BlockBuster ?

#232090 - 04/14/08 04:16 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I think the story was blockbuster buying out circuit city. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=4646222

anyone have a link for the best buy adding instruments link?

Also in my area we have an 8 percent sales tax so it is usually cheaper to buy from Musicians friend with free shipping and no sales tax. Even though it is the same price same company local out the door sales have to collect the tax.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-14-2008).]

#232091 - 04/14/08 06:56 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Let's face it, how many (of us) have used the big box stores as a demo station and then came home and ordered the item over the internet because of the tax advantage or free shipping or even a deeper discount? What's the solution?

#232092 - 04/14/08 06:57 PM Re: Heard Anything About Guitar Center Closing Stores in Your Area ?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
if sam ash or guitar center wants to buy my little keyboard shop. I'll put the for sale sign out

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online