SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231995 - 04/12/08 01:46 PM I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
It would've been nice if Don or one of our other SZ members were able to report in to the Zone from the Jam in Shreveport. I reckon where ever it was held they don't have internet access. Or maybe they forgot to bring a laptop. Oh well.., maybe we'll hear something later this evening hopefully.

Best,
Mike

#231996 - 04/12/08 02:08 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
my understanding is that it was the weekend of the 19th April as in next weekend??
bebop

#231997 - 04/12/08 02:36 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

It's this weekend. AJ had the wrong dates on his post. Some problems, however, because of the American Airlines plane groundings.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#231998 - 04/12/08 04:28 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
BEBOP Offline

ok Gary, thank you for the update. My faulty recollection, and I had hoped to go there too. Good thing I didn't go there a week late
Next year I will get it right and go there
Best to all,
Bebop

#231999 - 04/12/08 06:48 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Got a call from Eddie (Betweengigs) Shoemaker and he said they were having lots of fun, the accommodations were great and he would give me a full report when he got back home.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#232000 - 04/12/08 10:37 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just got in from the Jam, day one. We had a tremendous time! Our hosts at the American Legion went out of their way to accommodate us. They grilled hamburgers and sausages, and kept food out for us all night.
We had 10 arrangers set up, including two SD1s, SD5, Tyros, PSR 2000, 3000 and S900, Roland E50 and Korg PA1X and a Midjay.
We had one guy, Pete Mallet, and his wife drive 19 hours from Illinois. Eddie came from Florida, Vince from Houston, Hammer, JayR and Ted from Dallas or East Texas, Joe Lee from Arkansas, plus about a dozen entertainers that live closer to Shreveport, including HankB and his trio, and SemiLive (Bill).
Billy Ledbetter, from Monroe, LA, even came out and sang a few before going to my regular job and covering it for me.
We starting setting up before 3:00 and took turns playing either individually or together for the next EIGHT hours.
We are getting together again tomorrow at 1:00 to exchange tips and tricks and do some experimenting with the various keyboards.
Unfortunately there were several who planned to attend but couldn't make it for various reasons, including the AA flight problems.
Joe Lee got many hours of video, with audio recordings from the mixer.
I was extremely proud of the Bose L1. We hooked all the keyboards except Pete's into a mixer--actually two mixers, one as a sub to supply more channels. We then sent the L and R outputs from the mixer to two channels on the Bose, run flat. Pete brought his complete P.A. and had it set up already when I got there, so he played his SD1 and guitar through it.
It took only a few minutes to set the various levels from each keyboard and mic.
At about 1/3 volume, the Bose carried everything and sounded wonderful, whether you were right in front of it, or at the far end of the room. By having a traditional p.a. also set up, it was easy to hear both and use your ears to make a side-by-side comparison.
Pete's p.a. sounded very good, but different, and much more directional. He is a GREAT entertainer by the way.
Joe Lee also brought his guitar as did Richard Hough. Joe has a Midjay, but was too busy videoing to do much beside sing a few songs and play a couple on the guitar. Gerald "Cass" Acosta, a local keyboard player and entertainer also joined in. Cass works for the National Musician's Union, and is a previous President of the Shreveport Local.
Joe will make DVDs of the Jam available after he spends a hundred or so hours editing all this.
It was such a great pleasure to hear how the other guys do it. We had non-singing players, non-playing singers, full-time pros and play-at-home enthusiasts. I must admit that EVERYBODY sounded good, even though the various styles and levels of advancement varied widely.
Some of the guys I have "known" on the internet for several years, such as Eddie and Vince Ramos, but had never met. I figured they were pretty good, but they both knocked me out--they are PRO's, ya'll!
Oh well, you can make the next Jam or buy the DVD!
Gotta get some sleep now!
DonM

#232001 - 04/13/08 09:41 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Don than you for the update....When will AJ be there with the Audya?

#232002 - 04/13/08 10:05 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
keybplayer Offline

Thanks for the update Don!

Excuse my ignornance but I thought Ketron products were going to be one of the main attractions at the Jam but it looks like they - i.e. 'Ketron and company' was a no show. I also thought it was going to be more than just AJ. I figured some staff from Ketron proper was going to be there with at least one Audya in tow. Well, I guess that's what I get for being out of the loop with the goings on here at Synth Zone eh? I plan to be more active on the Zone in the future and I'll also try to be more cognizant of what's going on here. It helps to read all of the posts too I suppose huh.

PS: I'm glad everyone had a blast at the Jam. I'll be looking forward to next years.

Best,
Mike

#232003 - 04/13/08 10:27 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Mike, the Audya is not yet available. AJ had planned to come and bring some modules, but couldn't make travel arrangements.
Vince Ramos, the Ketron rep from Houston, was there with his SD1. I had an SD5, Pete had his SD1 and Midjay. Today we'll be answering any questions and comparing the various pieces of gear.
DonM

#232004 - 04/13/08 10:59 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Don was that the Midjay PLUS? wondering how the new unit is?

#232005 - 04/13/08 01:38 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

John,
No, it was the original. I haven't heard the MJ Plus, but they are having a few little problems with it. I think they are related to midi/polyphony, but not certain exactly what.
Ketron engineers are working to address them now, I'm told.
DNJ, you'll be happy to know that Eddie took many photos, Joe has 7 hours of video, and many others took photos. Pete recorded the entire thing on his Midjay. He has a large HD installed. He placed mics on left and right side and recorded it all. I will be anxious to hear that!
I was too busy to think about taking photos or recording, but I think both areas were covered.
Today, we met for a couple of hours. Deane and Ted were interested in listening to the SD5, and seeing how some of the controls worked. We finally got Ted to play a little on the Roland E50. He does worship music, and has only been playing a short time, but what he did sounded really good.
HankB was "under the weather" today. I'm sure it had nothing to do with Vodka.
Deane (Hammer) got his first arranger two years ago, which I would never have believed, because he makes both the PA1X and the PSR3000 sound great. He does a lot of Big Band, Swing, Jazz songs. JayR had to leave a little early last night because he had a cold and his eyes were bothering him. He puts his own mark on the songs he does. They are popular sings, but he does them in his own style, and I like that a lot!
I got some great ideas on how to do some songs differently, and also some I hadn't heard or hadn't thought about doing.
All in all I'm certain that everyone participating learned a little and I feel lilke everyone had a good time.
Eddie and Carol are staying over until Tuesday, so Susan and I will be getting together with them tomorrow. They had to make a trip to Sears because they weren't anticipating the cool snap we're having. The high today is only in the high 60's!
DonM

#232006 - 04/13/08 08:31 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I just got back, and would like to say what a good time I had. I'm not sure I've ever seen that many talented people in one room! The music was great!!
I'm more of a "gear geek" than a real musician, ESPECIALLY compared to these guys. But I was inspired by the different approaches each of these pros brings to his sets. Music is more than just "right hand melody, left hand chords." I saw lots of ideas that I can't wait to try out on my own. I also met Deane ("Hammer") who lives pretty close by in North Texas. And even though the factory Ketron rep couldn't make it, thanks to Pete, Vince, and Don I got my questions answered and got to see what those boards could do. Thanks for putting up with me guys, you are all awesome, and I sure hope you do it again next year!! -Ted

PS Don I will be sending you a CD with photos, maybe you can post some of them to your website. Take Care!

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 04-13-2008).]

#232007 - 04/13/08 11:38 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Joe Lee got many hours of video, with audio recordings from the mixer.

It sounds like it was a great success. If the video gets put on a DVD can you send me a copy so I can put some of the clips online for everyone to look at.

#232008 - 04/14/08 12:18 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Nigel, I'll see that you get one for sure.
Ted, it was great to meet you, and I really appreciate the help loading out the gear. Between Ted and Bill, I didn't have to exert much energy!
Now, if you will drive back over and take it all out of the van. . .
DonM

#232009 - 04/14/08 07:35 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Will there or has there been a Northeast area type of jam?

#232010 - 04/14/08 09:01 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I would really be up for one in the North East/Mid Atlantic region.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#232011 - 04/14/08 11:28 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
NorthEast - Southern New England, NY/NJ/CT area would be GREAT ...
t.

#232012 - 04/14/08 11:36 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
NorthEast - Southern New England, NY/NJ/CT area would be GREAT ...
t.

This would be a super idea......but who would volunteer to be the organizer & pull together all the details like Don M did.

#232013 - 04/14/08 06:44 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don,

Is Eddie going to dump his Yamaha and go Ketron now?

Tom

Tom

#232014 - 04/14/08 06:48 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Or Baltimore!!!!

#232015 - 04/14/08 09:23 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

I would think the person who takes the reins & responsibility and sets it all up should decide where to host an event like this.

#232016 - 04/14/08 09:28 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cavanaugh:
Don,

Is Eddie going to dump his Yamaha and go Ketron now?

Tom

We just got back from having dinner with Eddie and Carol. We talked for a couple of hours and had a great visit. I don't think Eddie will change anything soon. Maybe Hammer will though???
DonM

#232017 - 04/15/08 07:32 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Mike, the Audya is not yet available.

DonM

I know Don. Since Ketron had been showing up at NAMM and also Musikmesse with prototype Audya(s) in tow, I was hoping Ketron would also show up at the jam with at least one beta prototype Audya or possibly a couple of them. Oh well... I guess we'll have to wait for summer NAMM 2008 before we get another brief glimpse of an Audya performance. And then there's Musikmesse 2009 of course. They'll be there for sure, just for the bratwurst and beer if nothing else right? You know how those Italians love their wieners and suds now don't you. Along with the beautiful fräuleins as well of course. I wish they loved completing the production of beta concept arranger keyboards just as much. lol.. Sorry AJ. But your boss is a little slow on the draw with this one. About a year or so slow in my opinion. What's an arranger keyboardist to do but wait I suppose.. Much to every arranger keyboardists chagrin as well no doubt.

I've been waiting such a long time and "longing" for an arranger with more than 128 note polyphony, and it's downright sad to think I might have to wait another year or two before I see one on store shelves with the name Audya embossed on it. Hopefully that's a stretch but I have my doubts for sure about when this thing called the Audya will actually leave the pre-production factory where it's being 'conceptualized' and actually shipped to consumers in stores. I mean, if Ketron can't agree on what kind of processor the Audya should have I have my doubts that they can agree on and fulfill a ship date, which the latest "tabloid" is saying Fall of this year - and this century I might add.. hopefully. But I don't see that happening unfortunately i.e. Fall 2008.

Prove me wrong Ketron, please?? Pretty please with sugar on top??? Or in the words of Larry the Cable Guy - just GIT-R-DONE!!! And out the door.... to consumers. I beg of you!

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 04-15-2008).]

#232018 - 04/15/08 08:45 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Maybe Ketron is trying to get all the bugs out before making it available, instead of making us unpaid testers. I hope that's the case anyway.
It would be nice to get a new keyboard that didn't have a lot of problems needing immediate attention.
We'll see.
DonM

#232019 - 04/15/08 03:19 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, Mike, but when have you maxed out a 128 voicer?

That's s scarily dense production...

#232020 - 04/16/08 06:22 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Can anyone who attended this post some pics of this event? or video?

#232021 - 04/16/08 06:59 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Songman55 Offline

Ditto. I'd like to see some pics and hear some music and if you could throw in some crawfish that would be great too.

Thanks,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#232022 - 04/16/08 08:04 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

There are some that Hammer posted on www.psrtutorial.com/ForumMain.html
Look for the topic Shreveport Arranger Jam.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 04-16-2008).]

#232023 - 04/16/08 05:12 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
Songman55 Offline

OK, what do I need to do to open the stuff on the psr site?

Thanks,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#232024 - 04/16/08 05:24 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

Where is the link to these pictures?

#232025 - 04/17/08 10:08 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

I guess you have to join. It's under the topic Shreveport Arranger Jam, under Just For Fun.
I'll post them on my site when I get time.
Can't figure out how to do a direct link.
DonM

#232026 - 04/17/08 10:11 AM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
John DiLeo Offline

OK Don cant wait to see them all.

#232027 - 04/17/08 03:43 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

There's a link at the bottom of my webpage. www.donmasonmusic.com
DonM

#232028 - 04/17/08 03:55 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
thnx, Don ... must have been fun ...
t.

#232029 - 04/17/08 05:48 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
keybplayer Offline

Thanks for the pics Don! Looks like everybody had a great time. It was good to see a Tyros1 there at the Jam. I didn't notice a Tyros2. Oh well..., the Tyros2 possibly is losing a little bit of its appeal in the arranger world arena perhaps. Maybe a lot of people are dumping them already and "saving" up while they wait for the new Tyros3? I guarantee you if they haven't dumped them already most of them will when the Tyros3 is released no doubt. Yamaha is putting another carrot in front of people and a lot of people have to have that carrot for some reason. Hey, it keeps Yamaha in business I guess right? I would have bought a Tyros3 for SURE if it'd had 76 keys. As well as up to half of some of the other people in that "How many keys" thread we had a while back. Half of the people in that thread wanted 76 keys. Seems obvious to me even if it doesn't to Yammie.

Hey, did anybody get to go fishing in that lake while they were there? I was practically born on a boat and had I known there was a lake close by?!?!? Oh well, water under the bridge.... Maybe next year.

Best,
Mike

#232030 - 04/17/08 07:38 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
zuki Offline

Great pics. Wish I could've been there - next one

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#232031 - 04/17/08 08:50 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
BEBOP Offline

I sure did enjoy your pictures. Thanks a bunch for sharing. I could almost hear the music playing.
Best to all,
Bebop

#232032 - 04/17/08 09:40 PM Re: I guess we don't have a live feed from Shreveport huh? :-(
DonM Offline

Mike, we had a boat available. It was a little cool and windy though. Very unusual for this time of year.
Bebop, Zuki, maybe you can make the next one.
DonM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online