SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#231826 - 04/09/08 09:29 PM What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
firehead Offline

Loc: thornwood, n.y. , usa
Many of you stated that you do nursing homes which is basically in and out quickly.
What power speakers, amplifiers, etc are you using?

------------------

#231827 - 04/09/08 09:34 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Depending on the size, I usually take Logitech Z2200. I have it in a rolling bag (Walmart special). Set up in 5 minutes.
I also have used Behringer powered speakers and Bose L1, depending on the number of attendees anticipated. Sometimes we do parties for the resident, staff and families and may have a couple hundred there. That strains the Z2200.
DonM

#231828 - 04/10/08 05:58 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I haven't done nursing homes in a couple of years. For small spaces, my set up is similar to Don's, I use a Barbetta Sona 31 that is on a small cart or the Bose system depending on the size of the space.
Ciao,
Jerry

#231829 - 04/10/08 06:13 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Charles Offline

Loc: orlando florida
Quote:
Originally posted by firehead:
Many of you stated that you do nursing homes which is basically in and out quickly.

Im fairly new to this too.For small rooms Ive used just the speakers in a Korg pa 800,but other times 12' FBT powered speakers due to the 'dead' acoustics.Iv e also noticed Activities Directors dont know as much about sound as we would think, in terms of volume,Ive found that a full sound gets the audience moving,Im told 'they love me'others say just use the upright piano,which Ive tried: horrible and out of tune in one case,went back the next month used my digital piano Roland Fb4 whith full pa and had a full room!I would listen to Don as far as the logitec idea .I purchased the 5 speaker version but was phased by the amount of wires included.I wonder if the Yammie Stagepass might be just the ticket.Try before you buy,I wasted a lot of time and energy sorting this out. Still not that happy dragging gear in and out for these one hour gigs.Watch out for the wheelchairs!Chas[Charles]

[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231830 - 04/10/08 06:14 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Do you play in Stereo at Nursing homes also?
Or use just one amp.

#231831 - 04/10/08 06:24 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A lot of the nursing home jobs here are relatively large venues where all the patients are brought into a large hall or theater area. Most of the time I just fire up the Bose L1, which seems to work for any application. For a backup system I have the Logitech Z-5500 that I modified. With both systems my setup time is about 10 to 12 minutes.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#231832 - 04/10/08 06:43 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
I have the Logitech Z-5500 that I modified. With both systems my setup time is about 10 to 12 minutes.
Gary

Does that time include a sound check also Gary? What mods have you made to the Z5500 I just sold mine to a friend...looking for something else.

#231833 - 04/10/08 06:51 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
I work the same area Gary does and like he said, they are usually large venues. I use a JBL Eon 15 powered by a Yamaha PA head. It gives me the coverage I need and the sound I'm used to. Setup is 10-15 minutes and I can be in the car and rolling 15 minutes after the job ends.

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala

#231834 - 04/10/08 06:57 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have a Roland Cube 60 available for small jobs..just plug it in..and patch my keyboard into the Cube..can't get much easier than that...It [1980's] weighs 38 pounds..

#231835 - 04/10/08 07:08 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#231836 - 04/10/08 07:19 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

WOW Fran that is cool!!

Wonder how it would sound with my Psr3000?
or hooked up with a small sub.

#231837 - 04/10/08 09:27 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For when those pesky built in speakers are just too deafening...?

#231838 - 04/10/08 10:10 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I use a megaphone....just kidding...don't do nursing homes.

R.

#231839 - 04/10/08 10:18 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
It takes a special talent to do Nursing Homes...I don't have it, but to those who do, I give my respect and admiration.

Ian

#231840 - 04/10/08 10:24 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Barbetta 31c for the last couple of years, until recently when I started using the Roland CM30 cube monitors in stereo and mounted on mic stands.

#231841 - 04/10/08 10:41 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
JIMSAX Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD USA
Hi Guys, I work the same circuit as Joe & Gary. I'm using the Logtech Z 2200, which I love, for the NHs and Crate powered speakers with a Mackie mixer for the big jobs.

Jim

#231842 - 04/10/08 02:19 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I use junk equipment for the following reasons:

I figured out no one even notices, and.....

it forces me to really know my stuff...to sing, play and entertain harder to make up for it!

Lucky

#231843 - 04/10/08 04:13 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

I figured out no one even notices, and.....

I really hope you're kidding! I advise you to play like your most respected musician is in the crowd. Don't cheat the crowd because they may look old ! Give them a real show !

I play many nursing homes with just the internal speakers in my PA800 ... some venues are THAT small !

#231844 - 04/10/08 06:35 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

No, Uncle Dave....I'm NOT kidding! Read my message again closely and note:

"it forces me to really know my stuff...to sing, play and entertain harder to make up for it!"

I've seen too many wannabe musicians go in there with wheelbarrows full of brand new equipment. Older folks want to be ENTERTAINED ...they don't need to feel like they're at the NAMM show.

Also.....I don't play as if "my most respected musician is in the crowd." I play to the people, not other musicians.

Somebody above said something like it takes a unique breed of musician to do a nursing home. This is true. I'd be interested in hearing what some of you folks are doing at them (what type of act, songs, type of patter, wages, location, etc). I don't mind sharing my own nursing home experiences. It means growth for all of us.

Lucky

#231845 - 04/10/08 07:11 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

Lucky,

I use the best equipment money can buy, and I provide the best performances I can possibly provide at NH jobs. I give them everything I've got and they deserve the best. I don't skimp on anything. And, because of this I'm booked solid. And, I agree, it takes a special person to perform at nursing homes, especially when you're getting older. It's like looking in a mirror. Most of the people you are performing for are wonderful folks that just happened to live longer than anyone could have anticipated. They outlived their bodies and minds, but they are still wonderful people and deserve the best--INCLUDING THE BEST EQUIPMENT!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#231846 - 04/10/08 08:07 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Beakybird Offline

Well said Gary & Uncle Dave.

I have been using two JBL Eon10 G2s that I keep on the floor tilted up towards the ceiling. For larger rooms I bring poles.

As posted, I am changing to the FBT Maxx 2As because of the great reviews they have gotten. Spec-wise, they have much better bass response. In fact the frequency response is better than (now this is only on paper) the 12" Mackie SRM450s.

I'm into a quick setup and take down, because I do over 500 shows a year. Nursing and retirement homes make up 90% of my business.

But even though I want to get in and out quick, while I'm there, I want to play the best keyboard I can afford two of (the PSR-S900) and the best 10" powered speakers I can get my hands on. Maybe I would sound even better if I brought in a 70 lbs. subwoofer, but with a gig paying +- $150, you got to draw a line somewhere.

One little anecdote that is pertinent to this topic: It is quite frequent as a nursing home entertainer that I see the TV on with a Lawrence Welk video. The seniors usually don't pay any attention. Well I go to this one nursing home in Niles, IL, where, in the common area, they installed this awesome Bose surround sound system with a great subwoofer. Not only were the seniors paying attention to that Lawrence Welk video, but a few of them were clapping between songs!

Sound reinforcement is important.

By the way, I started out in the Chicago area playing with crappy speakers (and arriving with an unprofessional appearance), and ten years later, there are a few activity directors who are still around and won't hire me because of what they saw ten years ago. Put your best foot forward.

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 04-10-2008).]

#231847 - 04/10/08 08:24 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

So what do some of you do when the inevitable industrial strength conversations start between staff members on different sides of the room? I tell them off....not for ME, I really don't care, but for the folks I'm playing to. It's not fair to THEM!

A tip I'd like to share. Before I leave the floor at the end of my performance, I go out to the audience and shake hands with every single person there (or at least "touch" every audience member). They really enjoy the human contact and particularly with the person who just entertained them.

Lucky

#231848 - 04/10/08 08:28 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

Just home from (3) NH gigs. I use Mackie 450v2s on the floor. I've had pole mounted speakers FALL due to active elders and complacent activity assistants, so the floor is a peace of mind. They sound great and full (in stereo). I agree, use the best you can buy - the elders look forward to music more than anything

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#231849 - 04/10/08 10:26 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
A tip I'd like to share. Before I leave the floor at the end of my performance, I go out to the audience and shake hands with every single person there (or at least "touch" every audience member). They really enjoy the human contact and particularly with the person who just entertained them.Lucky

Aside from a very time consuming task After a show...especially when there's a double involved & time is of the essence...isn't that is a great way to get sick with the transferring of germs by touching all those people?.....healthy is everything.

#231850 - 04/11/08 03:11 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:

...isn't that is a great way to get sick with the transferring of germs by touching all those people?.....healthy is everything.

Haven't you heard of hand sanitizers?

Hand sanitizers are also great before you play...makes your hands smooth and dry.

AND most contain alcohol...so if there is no bar....

Keep a small bottle in your gig bag...germs will hate you, but your hands will thank you.

Ian

#231851 - 04/11/08 05:14 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

There are two items in addition to my music gear that I never leave home without--hand sanitizer and a 7-inch floor fan. The Turbo-Fan was purchased at Target for just $6.95, it's very quiet, but quite powerful. It is three speed, black, and tilts upward so it can be placed on the floor beneath the keyboard so it blows the cooler air close to the floor upwards and keeps you comfortable. Most nursing homes are kept quite warm, even in the dead of winter.

Gary

#231852 - 04/11/08 06:37 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
gcbin Offline

Loc: Huntington, Indiana USA
Ditto on the fan. I purchased a smiliar one at Walmart. It resides in my keyboard bag beside the S900. As for speakers, I used internal speakers for most of my nursing home gigs until last fall. Since then, I have got in the habit of taking one (I own a pair for larger gigs) of my Eon 15 G2's. I leave the keyboard volume for the internal speakers about where I normally did, tilt the Eon up beside me, and bring the volume up to where I can just hear it a little. Adds a whole new dimension to the sound, and I am still retaining at least some of the stereo separation from the internal speakers, to satisfy my ear at least. I also have a pair of Roland KC100's which I never use. Just don't care for the sound. I am however, loving all the posts on this topic, as I am really in the mood to try something different. Gary

#231853 - 04/11/08 09:19 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by firehead:

I pass out the following amps.

http://tinyurl.com/293mdd

Everyone is happy.
100 units = price of the BOSE L1.
Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 04-11-2008).]

#231854 - 04/11/08 12:01 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I have gone through a number of speakers/amps over the years. Currently for a REALLY small gig, I might use the built-in speakers (of my KN-7000 or S900), more likely I take a pair of Roland CM-30's. For medium gigs and bigger, I take my Yamaha StagePas 500's - either on floor angled up or on poles depending on the layout of where I'm playing. For even larger gigs, I add a subwoofer to the StagePas, but this is needed rarely.

About 50% of my solo gigs are for Retirement Communities and similar, where the audience can be anywhere from 30 people to 200 depending on the place, event, etc.

#231855 - 04/11/08 02:00 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Yamaha PAs 300 in larger rooms, and Roland Cm-30s in smaller rooms with lower ceilings (I find they provide a much crisper clearer sound than the Yamaha Pas in that setting).

Graham

#231856 - 04/11/08 02:08 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Haven't you heard of hand sanitizers?

Oh course Ian but what good is that when you contaminate your hands with the first person and go around the room touching sick people, I would just say Thank you & Good Bye, take a bow & exit stage left!!

#231857 - 04/11/08 02:20 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Oh course Ian but what good is that when you contaminate your hands with the first person and go around the room touching sick people, I would just say Thank you & Good Bye, take a bow & exit stage left!!

To each his own...whatever works best for you.

Ian

#231858 - 04/11/08 03:07 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Ian what type of sanatizer do you use? There are so many to choose from?
http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/organic-parenting/hand-sanitizer-66031401
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

man Im confused

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-11-2008).]

#231859 - 04/11/08 03:19 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Ian what type of sanatizer do you use? There are so many to choose from?

I use Purell, Donny...you can get it in small pocket size bottles....I find it's great before starting to play...drys my hands really nice before I play, and if I'm doing any schmoozing between sets, it keeps the germs away.

It also tastes pretty good.

Ian

#231860 - 04/11/08 03:34 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

Donny,

Most of the folks residing in nursing homes are not sick with diseases that are contageous. The vast majority have some form of dementia, stroke or cancer, and can no longer take care of themselves and their families don't want to take care of them. Consequently, they are warehoused in nursing homes and assisted living centers.

Those that have contageous diseases are not usually permitted to come in contact with the general population of the NH because they can easily contaminate those who are not infected.

In reality, your chances of contracting something contageous are probably greater from school-age grandchildren than from someone residing in a nursing home.

As for the brand names of hand sanitizers there are dozens of them, and they pretty much all do the same thing--sterilize your hands. I use Sani-Wipes, which are inexpensive and don't leave any residue. I keep a container of them in the van, and one in my cable bag. I'm not worried about the patient giving me some, but instead, I worry more about me giving them something. Most are quite fragile and can not tollerate the slightest infection.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#231861 - 04/11/08 04:59 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
My first thought was send your sound to an induction loop amplifier, pipe your sound directly into their hearing aids!

#231862 - 04/11/08 05:47 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
It also tastes pretty good. Ian

Ian, YIKES! what else do you do with this stuff

#231863 - 04/11/08 05:48 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Donny,

Most of the folks residing in nursing homes are not sick with diseases that are contageous. The vast majority have some form of dementia, stroke or cancer, and can no longer take care of themselves and their families don't want to take care of them. Consequently, they are warehoused in nursing homes and assisted living centers.

Those that have contageous diseases are not usually permitted to come in contact with the general population of the NH because they can easily contaminate those who are not infected.

In reality, your chances of contracting something contageous are probably greater from school-age grandchildren than from someone residing in a nursing home.

As for the brand names of hand sanitizers there are dozens of them, and they pretty much all do the same thing--sterilize your hands. I use Sani-Wipes, which are inexpensive and don't leave any residue. I keep a container of them in the van, and one in my cable bag. I'm not worried about the patient giving me some, but instead, I worry more about me giving them something. Most are quite fragile and can not tollerate the slightest infection.

Cheers,

Gary

Thank You Dr. Wizard!!!

#231864 - 04/11/08 07:32 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well, I haven't looked into this type of booking here in Australia, so I'm probably talking in ignorance, but would I be right in saying this seems to be an American (and perhaps European) thing?

Very interesting.

I see nothing wrong in doing this type of gig, and I imagine the audiences are (usually) very appreciative.

Please understand, we have plenty of activities for older clientèle in the Retirement Villages over here (even I know that!) but it's my understanding there isn't a specific Entertainers "circuit" (a la OMB etc) like there seems to be in the U.S. (for a start) and this certainly isn't the first time I've read about this - it seems to be a well established "culture" if you will.

Anyone on the Boards (local to me) do this type of work??

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231865 - 04/11/08 07:57 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Well, I haven't looked into this type of booking here in Australia, ?

http://www.rsllifecare.org.au/default.asp?id=20#

#231866 - 04/11/08 08:24 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
The personal contact with NH residents is very often what they miss. While I do not subscribe to Lucky's equipment philosophy, I am totally with you with your personal touch. I and any others who accompany me always spend the time at the end giving the residents a hug, a blessing, a handshake, some loving words, whatever is appropriate.

Some will ask you to pray with them, and then next time tell you what a difference it made.

Their hearts are opened by the wonderful music you have shared. Giving that extra personal attention just completes a wonderful experience for them (and me).

Graham

#231867 - 04/11/08 08:41 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Donny,

Webster's dictionary definitions:

A professional musician: One who goes out to the audience after his performance in a nursing home and socializes with them, shaking hands, giving lots of hugs, etc with complete disregard for his own health.

A non-professional scoffs at this concept and simply "just says Thank you & Good Bye, takes a bow & exits stage left!!

Why on earth do you feel it necessary to comment on something you probably know nothing about? We're specialists in this field...we know what we're talking about!

Lucky

#231868 - 04/11/08 09:13 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Graham and the others,

I think I really need to clear up this "garbage equipment" remark that a few of you got upset over, although I’m certainly not apologizing for it.

I meant "garbage" in relation to today's keyboards with all the frills on them. I'm using a 10 year old Roland that hasn‘t failed once in all this time (and this is by choice and NOT because of finances). That doesn't mean it "sounds" garbage. It actually gives me a very full and versatile sound. The organ and string patches are full, warm and rich, brass cuts through when I need it, trumpets not great sounding…but with a lot of pitch bend and vibrato can be made to sound presentable, accordion is a very sweet musette sound, bells (as in I‘m Getting Married in the Morning) are striking, orchestra patch simulates a full orchestra fairly well, fiddle (for square dance music) fits right in the pocket, electric pianos a little hollow but passable, guitars..again with pitch bend and vibrato can sound very jazzy, throw in a good dance pattern with lots of "fills," good singing, pick the right songs, and you’ve got a working formula.

You’ve all missed the point of my first post: Point: Don’t get caught up in the keyboard and speaker wars. Use the time to work on your act. At one time I played three keyboards simultaneously on stage and had a fantastic sound. Sure I miss it, but I’m more concerned about giving my audience more meat and potatoes now. After all, if they want to hear pretty music they can listen to Lawrence Welk on a CD player. I give them dynamic/exciting music that “moves them” (which is what Activity Directors love to see).

That’s not to say what you folks do in your performance is incorrect. If it works, go for it. I find this is what works for me. They don’t care if I share “new” equipment with them , but they certainly care whether or not I share MYSELF! And, believe me, if I thought for one second I was short-changing my audience, I’d be at Sam Ash the next morning with checkbook in hand.

Mama Leone’s Restaurant (in NY) used to throw out this saying: Give them good food and plenty of it, and they’ll come back for more. My motto, based on that, has always been: “give them good MUSIC and plenty of it and they’ll come back for more!”

P.S. Try going through a “musical trivia” routine with them to “jar” their memories. The “fan” idea was good….I’d like to hear a few more if you don’t mind. I’m always looking to improve!

Lucky

#231869 - 04/11/08 09:57 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

Lucky,

These keyboards (like my PA800) with the "frills" are superb instruments that allow one to create extremely polished arrangements that MOVE the audience. Trust me, I play enough to know (56X in April).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#231870 - 04/11/08 10:11 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
BrisbaneJim Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Austra...
Very well put, Gary. I sincerely agree with you. They deserve the very best.

Jim

#231871 - 04/11/08 10:15 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Zuki,

If that's your bag, then do it! Right now I'm not interested in creating "extremely polished arrangements that MOVE the audience" .......been there and done that. I'm more interested now in COMMUNICATING with an audience on a personal level and honing THOSE skills. I've already established myself as a player.

Why is it so difficult to make a simple statement like I use "garbage equipment" without having the Klan members in this room go for the throat? And still you didn't get my original point!

BTW...56x in April. Zuki, isn't that stretching it a bit? That's over 4 events a day (events NOT gigs). You'd need Viagra and an oxygen tank to do that many!

Lucky

#231872 - 04/12/08 12:00 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Beakybird Offline

Regarding there not being a market for OMBs in Australian nursing homes, I am reminded of a certain anecdote:

A shoe company looking to expand sent two salesmen to different parts of the Australian outback. One salesman wrote to his employer, "There is no sales potential. The natives do not where shoes."

The other salesman wrote back to his employer, "Lots of sales potential. The natives do not where shoes."

Beakybird

#231873 - 04/12/08 04:08 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Zuki,

BTW...56x in April. Zuki, isn't that stretching it a bit? That's over 4 events a day (events NOT gigs). You'd need Viagra and an oxygen tank to do that many!

Lucky

Just curious how do you come up with 4 per day 4 events per day times 30 days in a month=120 not 56?

#231874 - 04/12/08 04:39 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Ian, YIKES! what else do you do with this stuff

Well it's better than the rubbing alcohol, Donny...I had to give that up...it gave me hiccups.

#231875 - 04/12/08 06:00 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Zuki wow!! 56 gigs a month ....!
do you lug those Mackie speakers, stands, PA800 in & out of each or do you have a smaller sound system for the quick in & outs? Just trying to decide what I would need gear wise to start doing this type of gig.

Unlike what I read in the other post disregarding your heath, I would worry about & protect my own health first and foremost before anything. I just dont see how you can linger after a show when you have doubles and shake hands, hug people, schmooze when you need to be at another facility in a very timely manner? Am I mnissing something here?

#231876 - 04/12/08 06:10 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
BTW...56x in April. Zuki, isn't that stretching it a bit? That's over 4 events a day Lucky

Are any of these gigs played "Gratis" or are all of them top scale $125- $150+....if so I have to get into this circuit asap once I get it all together. What about all the phone calls to facilities, invoices, contracts, follow ups for late payments, isn't that time consuming also or do you do this on sight too?

#231877 - 04/12/08 06:21 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

I DO play that much. We've been down the road on this before.

I got busy late last year booking myself, marketing myself and doing whatever it took to fill my schedule. My fee is not that high, even though I do get up to $125 at some jobs. I just starting playing again in 2/06 and my earnings are now slowly increasing.

There are a lot of places that are cutting back too, so I play down to $80 for those who NEED to have quality entertainment. I don't deny anyone.

I don't mind lugging my equipment in. I can set up in 6 minutes if I have to. It takes me 3 minutes to put in my XB!

My health is perfect (knock on wood) and I consider this great exercise (which I do on a regular basis, time permitting). So, not to toot my own horn, but I work hard to put together a 'show' that sells, both musically and interactively. Anyone can do the same........I think this is normal.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 04-12-2008).]

#231878 - 04/12/08 06:27 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

Quote:
Zuki,

If that's your bag, then do it! Right now I'm not interested in creating "extremely polished arrangements that MOVE the audience" .......been there and done that. I'm more interested now in COMMUNICATING with an audience on a personal level and honing THOSE skills. I've already established myself as a player.

Why is it so difficult to make a simple statement like I use "garbage equipment" without having the Klan members in this room go for the throat? And still you didn't get my original point!

Lucky

First off, I'm not clan. 2nd, if you are such a wonderful player, then communicating it should be normal. And "stretching a bit" is not in my cards. I don't need to make up stories to impress anyone. Good luck.

#231879 - 04/12/08 06:38 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

John,

I can answer some of your questions.

Performing the NH circuit requires organization of everything. Your equipment, in particular, must be easy to set up and tear down, thereby allowing you to be able to get in, perform, schmooze, reload the gear in your car, then drive to the next job and do the same thing again. And, of course, you must carry some essential spares, just in case. One thing that I personally consider as essential is my trusy GPS. Not only will it take you to locations where you have never performed, but additionally, it can route you around traffic jams, which in this part of the world is a constant problem.

Contracts are easily created on your computer using any word processor. I have an old program called "It's Legal" that has sample contracts in it and allows you do copy the contract to your word processor and a document file. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks.

QuickBooks is a great tool for getting those invoices out, and keeping track of who has paid and who has not paid. It's an easy programn to use and not that expensive.

Print Shop is among my favorites for printing advertising media. You can design and create flyers, banners, posters, cards and calanders using the program, then mail them to current and perspective clients.

Creating a mailing list is easy. You can find all the Nursing Homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, alzheimers centers, etc.. just by doing a few Google searches. Then it's just a matter of selecting the ones you want, copy the information into your word processor or data base program and you've just created a comprehensive mail list.

Targeting the audience, however, requires a bit more work--but not much more. Essentially, you have to get your advertisments to the current activities directors. This means you must call each location and merely ask the name of the activities director. Now you have someone to send the advertising media to and not have it end up in the junk mail pile that will get tossed into the dumpster. It's a good idea to update the AD list once every six months. The younger ones tend to change locations regularly, which is good news for you. When they move to a new facility they are often looking for entertainers at the new location. They call the ones they've had good results from in the past.

Rates of pay vary throughout the world, but on average in the U.S. the rate is approximately $100 per hour. The rate is usually double on certain holidays, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.., holidays that most individuals like to spend with their families. Rates have increased at some facilities over the past two years because of the rising gasoline costs, and some now pay up to $150 per hour.

Hope this helps,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#231880 - 04/12/08 06:40 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Zuki,

Thank you for the info...
I wish you good luck.
You have been an inspiration to me reading your posts on this topic. What do you use to transport your gear?

#231881 - 04/12/08 06:49 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
John,

I can answer some of your questions.

Performing the NH circuit requires organization of everything. Your equipment, in particular, must be easy to set up and tear down, thereby allowing you to be able to get in, perform, schmooze, reload the gear in your car, then drive to the next job and do the same thing again. And, of course, you must carry some essential spares, just in case. One thing that I personally consider as essential is my trusy GPS. Not only will it take you to locations where you have never performed, but additionally, it can route you around traffic jams, which in this part of the world is a constant problem.

Contracts are easily created on your computer using any word processor. I have an old program called "It's Legal" that has sample contracts in it and allows you do copy the contract to your word processor and a document file. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks.

QuickBooks is a great tool for getting those invoices out, and keeping track of who has paid and who has not paid. It's an easy programn to use and not that expensive.

Print Shop is among my favorites for printing advertising media. You can design and create flyers, banners, posters, cards and calanders using the program, then mail them to current and perspective clients.

Creating a mailing list is easy. You can find all the Nursing Homes, assisted living centers, retirement communities, alzheimers centers, etc.. just by doing a few Google searches. Then it's just a matter of selecting the ones you want, copy the information into your word processor or data base program and you've just created a comprehensive mail list.

Targeting the audience, however, requires a bit more work--but not much more. Essentially, you have to get your advertisments to the current activities directors. This means you must call each location and merely ask the name of the activities director. Now you have someone to send the advertising media to and not have it end up in the junk mail pile that will get tossed into the dumpster. It's a good idea to update the AD list once every six months. The younger ones tend to change locations regularly, which is good news for you. When they move to a new facility they are often looking for entertainers at the new location. They call the ones they've had good results from in the past.

Rates of pay vary throughout the world, but on average in the U.S. the rate is approximately $100 per hour. The rate is usually double on certain holidays, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.., holidays that most individuals like to spend with their families. Rates have increased at some facilities over the past two years because of the rising gasoline costs, and some now pay up to $150 per hour.

Hope this helps,

Gary

Wow gary ....

Great info thank you so much.

Where did you ever learn how top do all this? I see I have lots of work ahead of me, but I think it will all be worth it in many ways in the end result. I have only performed in my community & the audience danced sang along & enjoyed themselves. Thats what got me thinking this route.

#231882 - 04/12/08 08:42 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

John,

I picked up a lot of information from some of the long-time members of this and other forums, but the vast majority of this is just a common sense business approach. The computer and Internet are fantastic business tools, and without them it would be very time consuming to do all the necessary tasks and still have time to perform.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#231883 - 04/12/08 02:09 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Thank you Gary....
I also have been in touch with a few members here via email, Dnj & others have given me much help in understanding how this all works.....its an interesting approach that seems to be very successful.

#231884 - 04/12/08 04:55 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

Yes, hats off to Dnj and Gary Diamond for helping me on the right track last year. Despite my sometimes nasty ways, I really appreciate their willingness to help out a fellow member seeking guidance.

zuki

#231885 - 04/12/08 10:50 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Gary is right on the money here. Good organization is a necessity and the key to making it all work. The one hour of playing is the easy part. All the paperwork, instrument maintenance, and travel time that’s involved is where it gets tricky.

I got my equipment down to a quick 4 minute setup/tear-down and wheel it out on a R&R cart that you can push with one finger and will fold up to save space.

If there is not a piano in the place that I can play if my arranger breaks down, I DO bring a spare arranger (and amp and mike) that I leave in my vehicle.

Travel: A GPS is good. I prefer to use computer maps to draw out my route so I can make up alternate routes in case of unexpected traffic. Always carry maps of the county’s you are going through in case you get lost on the way to the job. Never go on a toll road if you can help it. If there is an accident, you'll be stuck between toll booths with no way to get off and you can kiss your paycheck goodbye.

And always carry the location phone # and the police dept # of the town and if you’re approaching start time and still 5 miles from where you’re playing, call them every 5 minutes to tell them your progress (I live in an extremely high traffic area).

For the paperwork, I found it useful to set up my own database of events (using Works). When someone books always enter the booking date, all pertinent names of peoples involved in the booking, and every iota of info about the job and whatever you might need later to refer back to. I even enter the personalities of the girls who run activities dept’s to remind me how to talk to them. Definitely keep notes of all the times you’re in contact with them, because the girls will think nothing about canceling you out because they “double-booked” or some other irresponsible reason. This way I can tell them “ you booked me on……” “I sent you confirmations on…..” etc.

Once I take a booking and have ALL my info, the procedure goes like this: I set up a “report” program on the database so I FAX a “confirmation” sheet within 24 hours advising them if the date and time are not correct, to advise me immediately. Next step: one week before the event, FAX another confirmation sheet to make sure your date hasn’t been given away. Then...play the event. When you get home, immediately FAX an invoice to them and mark the date. Also mark the “payment schedule” (how long it takes for them to pay so you know when to call them if you don’t get your check). All this is done from ONE database by pressing different tabs. The nursing home circuit now is disorganized relative to what it was a few years ago….massive amounts of paperwork!

For my flyers, I use CorelDraw, but any graphics program is good. Never, never telephone an Activities Director. You can grow a beard in the time it takes to get through to one (if you ever actually do). Unless you live in a LESS dense area where the girls have time to pick up the phone. I happen to live where there are more nursing homes than fast food restaurants even!

A tip here which I’ll eventually start doing. A friend, who does a OMB on the steel drums (of all instruments) did an informal demo of about a dozen songs. He burned it to CD, labeled it, duplicated it and mailed it out to 8 nursing homes. He got 8 bookings back @ $200 a pop.

My own pay ranges from $125 to $175 for the hour. But then again I think it’s more the area I live in. The problem now, and it is getting worse, is that you have an abundance of guys going out for $25 and some even going out for a tuna fish sandwich! They’ve been laid off from their jobs and picking up instruments and undercutting the pro’s. Many do it for nothing just to get out of the house. And then there are the “volunteers” (senior barbershop quartets, high school choir groups, church groups, etc) who also just want to get out of the house.

An overall summnation can be given thusly: It ain’t easy doing nursing homes these days. I said “playing the job” is a piece of cake. It’s everything in-between that drains you. Too much paperwork to keep track of if you’re doing a lot of events and lately the traffic is starting to really infringe on the whole experience.

Still nothing can beat the feeling of happiness you achieve both for yourself and your audience after you’ve finished performing.

Again, everything Gary said here is just the way it is. Not much else to add.

I’m still interested in trading (playing) ideas from some of you who are doing this type of work. I’ve got a ton of thoughts myself, but I’m always interested in hearing something new.

Lucky

#231886 - 04/12/08 10:58 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Stephen,

Sorry about that....totally my fault!

"Just curious how do you come up with 4 per day 4 events per day times 30 days in a month=120 not 56?"

Zuki said 56xApril. We all view our jobs differently. I, myself, never count a job until it's actually done. Zuki was stating the # of jobs he has for April and NOT that he did 56 in 12 days (posting date being the 12th).

An honest mistake for me, but still a mistake.

Lucky

#231887 - 04/12/08 11:06 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Lucky2Bhere Offline

One quick comment about the most important thing you can do outside of the performance itself. Before you start, go around the room and introduce yourself and shake hands with everyone. After the performance....mingle with them and do the same thing...shake their hand and ask if they enjoyed the show.

Like Gary said, you'll get a lot of mileage out of using a hand sanitizer. BUT...what's important...until you use the hand cleaner...do NOT touch any opening in your face where germs could enter. Do that and you'll be fine!

But the truth is, as someone above said, there generally aren't any germs to begin with!

Lucky

#231888 - 04/13/08 08:23 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
zuki Offline

Lucky,

Good useful info - thanks

#231889 - 04/13/08 09:31 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
John DiLeo Offline

Lucky wow ....!

That seems to be so much work just to play NH gigs. There must be a way to simplify some of those tedious tasks. I would think that if someone is good enough way above the others that the facilities would be seeking you out instead of the reverse, especially if the competition is sub par & playing for almost nothing, unless they dont care who performs there.

#231890 - 04/13/08 11:21 AM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

Most nursing homes and assisted living centers work with a specific annual budget that is dedicated to entertainment. Naturally, they try to stretch those dollars as much as possible. When an AD comes across a top-notch performer/entertainer, one that not only interacts with the audiences but additionally keeps on top of things business-wise, they're willing to pay them more.

I recently had an AD who was giving me a problem. She was new, uncertified, had a "holier than thou" attitude, and until the previous AD left she was nothing more than an unpaid volunteer. She wangled her way into the job, obviously not having a clue about what it entailed.

The first thing she did was to try to cut the prices by 25 percent. I politely informed her what my fee was, and that all the 2008 jobs booked at that facility were booked in September of 2007. And, the jobs were under contract for the specified amount.

Her response was "I can get anyone I want to play for $50 an hour." Then, when the check for my last performance came in and was short, I called and told her that she must have made a mistake. At that point she said "Well, you should be glad I paid you $75 because I only pay the other performers $50." I reminded her that they were not in complience with the contract, at which point she got real bitchy, then hung up the phone.

A day later, while playing another location just a few blocks away, I stopped in at the faclity with a copy of the contract, talked with the CEO and general manager, went over the contract, picked up a check for the balance due, and then cancelled any future engagements as long as the AD from Hell was still working there. The facility's owner called me the next day, applolgized for the AD's inapropriate action and said they were taking steps to have her replaced in the next few weeks. The owner also said she really enjoyed my performances and asked me to please contact them sometime in early July when they anticipated they would have a new AD. Things like this happen--but fortunately, however, they are rare.

BTW: The CEO said they would be willing to pay me $25 more than they did previously because of the professional way I handled the problem and conducted my business.

There's no short-cuts with the paperwork, advertising, bookkeeping, etc.. However, if you organize everything on your computer, you can keep this part of the operation down to a minimum.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online