Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#231856 - 04/11/08 02:08 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Haven't you heard of hand sanitizers?

Oh course Ian but what good is that when you contaminate your hands with the first person and go around the room touching sick people, I would just say Thank you & Good Bye, take a bow & exit stage left!!

#231857 - 04/11/08 02:20 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Oh course Ian but what good is that when you contaminate your hands with the first person and go around the room touching sick people, I would just say Thank you & Good Bye, take a bow & exit stage left!!

To each his own...whatever works best for you.

Ian

#231858 - 04/11/08 03:07 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Ian what type of sanatizer do you use? There are so many to choose from?
http://www.thedailygreen.com/living-green/blogs/organic-parenting/hand-sanitizer-66031401
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hand-washing/HQ00407

man Im confused

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-11-2008).]

#231859 - 04/11/08 03:19 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian what type of sanatizer do you use? There are so many to choose from?

I use Purell, Donny...you can get it in small pocket size bottles....I find it's great before starting to play...drys my hands really nice before I play, and if I'm doing any schmoozing between sets, it keeps the germs away.

It also tastes pretty good.

Ian

#231860 - 04/11/08 03:34 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny,

Most of the folks residing in nursing homes are not sick with diseases that are contageous. The vast majority have some form of dementia, stroke or cancer, and can no longer take care of themselves and their families don't want to take care of them. Consequently, they are warehoused in nursing homes and assisted living centers.

Those that have contageous diseases are not usually permitted to come in contact with the general population of the NH because they can easily contaminate those who are not infected.

In reality, your chances of contracting something contageous are probably greater from school-age grandchildren than from someone residing in a nursing home.

As for the brand names of hand sanitizers there are dozens of them, and they pretty much all do the same thing--sterilize your hands. I use Sani-Wipes, which are inexpensive and don't leave any residue. I keep a container of them in the van, and one in my cable bag. I'm not worried about the patient giving me some, but instead, I worry more about me giving them something. Most are quite fragile and can not tollerate the slightest infection.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#231861 - 04/11/08 04:59 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
My first thought was send your sound to an induction loop amplifier, pipe your sound directly into their hearing aids!

#231862 - 04/11/08 05:47 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
It also tastes pretty good. Ian

Ian, YIKES! what else do you do with this stuff

#231863 - 04/11/08 05:48 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Donny,

Most of the folks residing in nursing homes are not sick with diseases that are contageous. The vast majority have some form of dementia, stroke or cancer, and can no longer take care of themselves and their families don't want to take care of them. Consequently, they are warehoused in nursing homes and assisted living centers.

Those that have contageous diseases are not usually permitted to come in contact with the general population of the NH because they can easily contaminate those who are not infected.

In reality, your chances of contracting something contageous are probably greater from school-age grandchildren than from someone residing in a nursing home.

As for the brand names of hand sanitizers there are dozens of them, and they pretty much all do the same thing--sterilize your hands. I use Sani-Wipes, which are inexpensive and don't leave any residue. I keep a container of them in the van, and one in my cable bag. I'm not worried about the patient giving me some, but instead, I worry more about me giving them something. Most are quite fragile and can not tollerate the slightest infection.

Cheers,

Gary

Thank You Dr. Wizard!!!

#231864 - 04/11/08 07:32 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well, I haven't looked into this type of booking here in Australia, so I'm probably talking in ignorance, but would I be right in saying this seems to be an American (and perhaps European) thing?

Very interesting.

I see nothing wrong in doing this type of gig, and I imagine the audiences are (usually) very appreciative.

Please understand, we have plenty of activities for older clientèle in the Retirement Villages over here (even I know that!) but it's my understanding there isn't a specific Entertainers "circuit" (a la OMB etc) like there seems to be in the U.S. (for a start) and this certainly isn't the first time I've read about this - it seems to be a well established "culture" if you will.

Anyone on the Boards (local to me) do this type of work??

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#231865 - 04/11/08 07:57 PM Re: What sound system do you use for Nursing Homes
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Well, I haven't looked into this type of booking here in Australia, ?

http://www.rsllifecare.org.au/default.asp?id=20#

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online