Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#231606 - 04/09/08 04:33 PM Re: roland sonic cell
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I am sorry for giving the wrong information.

Hey George, no apology necessary (appreciated, but not necessary), well at least for me anyway!! You are a good guy and well, this is what forums are about, yes? Exchanging info and helping each other out?
All the best m8!
Dennis

#231607 - 04/09/08 09:03 PM Re: roland sonic cell
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Mind you, 400 songs at a 256kbps rate gets you close to 3-4GB of data (256 is about the lowest that is very difficult to tell from CD).

How big do these flash drives get?

Could you partition them so they show up as several separate drives at the same time?

Still, let's face it, although many of us have TOTAL repertoires far in excess, how many of us use significantly more than 400 songs IN TRACKS FORM on a regular basis?

Flash Drives can go up to 16 GB in size without paying a whole lot and there are some SSD(solid state drives) with high speed NAND Flash memory that go up to 64 GB in size but can cost an arm and a leg. I have a 4 GB Lexar Lightning Drive that has excellent read/write speed and works flawlessly with my Sonic Cell PRO. If you get a Sonic Cell you will need to have a smaller thumb drive e.g. 128, 256, or 512 MB etc. on hand when attemtping to update the OS on the Sonic Cell. The larger flash drives such as my 4 GB Lexar Drive can only be formatted in FAT32 but with the smaller thumb drives you can format them in FAT, which you will need to do to be able to load and install the OS update .bin file from Roland onto the Sonic Cell.

As far a partitioning a flash drive into several separate partitions I don't think that would be possible since the Sonic Cell would only be able to see the root directory of one partition only. In other words, there would be no way to boot into separate partitions since the flash drive has no OS or software on it to do be able to do so.

But you hit the nail on the head when you said to just use an additional flash drive if you require more than 400 songs in your repertoire. Smaller flash i.e.(thumb) drives are relatively inexpensive and are coming down in price all the time. For instance, you can get a 4 GB drive for under $40 bucks in many cases. Because my Lexar Ligthning Drive is considered "high" speed you pay an additional premium but nothing outrageous, maybe $20-$30 bucks more over a same sized slower read/write speed drive. Besides, they're good investments anyway. Treat them right and they should last a long time plus they pay for themselves in no time at all if you're a gigging musician like so many of us here are at the Zone.

Best,
Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online