SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231586 - 04/08/08 02:33 AM roland sonic cell
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone used one of these units, i've read the spec, it looks good, can it sync audio and midi for live work eg audio samples and midi triggering, are they reliable enough for live use...??

#231587 - 04/08/08 05:48 AM Re: roland sonic cell
John DiLeo Offline

Here is a thread I did a search on with Sonic cell information.

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/017195.html

#231588 - 04/08/08 09:52 AM Re: roland sonic cell
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I have a Sonic Cell and I think it's a great sound module. You can trigger the Sonic Cell patches using the master controller keyboard keys although it doesn't have a Sampler so you can't trigger audio that is loaded externally. I have my Tyros hooked up to my Sonic Cell. You can also play along with audio songs loaded by way of the USB port using a thumb drive, etc. The Sonic Cell has MIDI over USB capability to use with a computer and a sequencer software such as Sonar Le, which is included with the Sonic Cell. There is two SRX expansion slots for further expandability. I have the SRX-06 (Complete Orchestra) and the SRX-07 (Ultimate Keys) cards which gives me a total 256 MB of WAV ROM and over 2,000 patches in the Sonic Cell. The nice thing I found after hooking it up to my Tyros is the ability to combine sounds of both my Tyros and Sonic Cell together (using MIDI) in Performance Mode, and as a result gives the sound an overall sonic improvement, including the Drums, which are lacking in the Tyros/2. I am able to use Accompaniment Styles together with the Sonic Cell including OTS and transitioning between variations is as smooth as butter on the Sonic Cell. The Sonic Cell can load and play .wav, .aiff, .mp3 and .mid and the DAC (Digital to Analog Converters) are 24 bit/96kHz which helps give the Sonic Cell great quality of sound, not only when playing audio files, but also for the patches within the Sonic Cell itself. The Sonic Cell was especially made for Live use and Roland even makes a special stand for the Sonic Cell for you to use alongside and in conjunction with your keyboard.

Personally, I think the Sonic Cell is an extremely cost effective sound module solution with many advanced features and capabilities including its use for Live performance purposes.

Best,
Mike

#231589 - 04/08/08 11:13 AM Re: roland sonic cell
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I also agree the Sonic Cell is a great quality unit..with a couple exceptions, I would have kept it longer..
The audio/midi interface is great..as is the mic preamp and effects..

My problems were the limited storage file storage to the USB device[no matter what size thumb-drive..99 files...and the loss of effects on the mic..every time a song starts..

Just a couple improvements on these items and I would revisit the Sonic Cell again..

#231590 - 04/08/08 12:56 PM Re: roland sonic cell
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
My problems were the limited storage file storage to the USB device[no matter what size thumb-drive..99 files...and the loss of effects on the mic..every time a song starts..

The file limit has recently been increased to 399 instead of 99. It requires a firmware upgrade and a new playlist editor both of which can be downloaded here .

I can only agree with Mike that the SonicCell+SRX-06+SRX-07 is a fantastic combination - you will never run out of interesting sounds. It works extremely well with the Pa800 too.

No need to worry about reliability for live use: It's a Roland after all

Kind regards,
Tommy

#231591 - 04/08/08 01:18 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, while you had the Sonic Cell, did you have an opportunity to compare it with the G70 as far as audio quality?

You know, punch up basically the same patch, and see if there were any sonic differences (harsher, more 'brittle', smoother, warmer)...

This one sure does SEEM like a no-brainer, at the price...

#231592 - 04/08/08 01:21 PM Re: roland sonic cell
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Fran,
I recall reading somewhere that Roland have released operating system updates to address the storage issue??
Might bear checking out.
Dennis

#231593 - 04/08/08 01:35 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Fran, while you had the Sonic Cell, did you have an opportunity to compare it with the G70 as far as audio quality?

You know, punch up basically the same patch, and see if there were any sonic differences (harsher, more 'brittle', smoother, warmer)...

This one sure does SEEM like a no-brainer, at the price...

Diki, I thought the sounds were very close..I didn't do an exact "A" "B"..but selected what I thought was the best SC piano and compared to the G70 best piano..as I did with other sounds...Overall I thought the G70 had a slight edge sound wise...and the G70 had many of the GS instrument sounds that I like[Scat}..

Roland selects [programs] certain patches designed for the Sonic Cell [appropriately names SC]..BTW: same scenario with the Juno G..

I wish I knew Roland was going to upgrade the file limitation before I sold it..but the better solution is limitation on the storage media..not the software..

#231594 - 04/08/08 01:46 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still, a 400 file number seems pretty reasonable, especially as it is probably a snap to swap out a USB pen drive (Should you need more).

That 400 would cover my primary gig, no problem (if I were using tracks, that is!).

#231595 - 04/08/08 02:10 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Fran Carango Offline

You are right Diki..for most applications 399 audio files are enough..In fact that is what I was hoping for when I first purchased the Sonic Cell..I wanted it to use with the band...we do around 300 songs recorded as MP3's..

The real surprise for me was the audio interface..Super clean recording..

Now if the mic effects can remain while starting another song...I may just buy another...And leave the laptop at home..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online