SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#231481 - 04/06/08 12:34 PM Zoom H2 and H4 Comparison Request
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
What is the difference between these units? Which is best for keyboard use?
I see the H2 for 179 and the H4 for 239 no shipping costs or tax.
which one would be the best for keyboard use? and Why?
Thanks for your Advise.
Bebop

#231482 - 04/06/08 12:53 PM Re: Zoom H2 and H4 Comparison Request
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Having used both recently, bebop, I think I can answer this one...

Probably the most significant decision you have to make is, do you want to overdub? The H4 can do this, the H2, not. So, you COULD put down the backing first, and then overdub the solos (but you could do this just as easily using the Sequencer)...

Do you intend to record audio on the mikes? Maybe some friends come to jam, you want to stick up some mikes to capture it. The H2 has a far more flexible mike arrangement (TWO sets of stereo mikes, with different pickup patterns, and capable of recording in front AND behind the unit at the same time (in surround, if you want!), so you just stick it down in the middle of you, and jam away...

The H2 has multiple folders to record into, the H4 just one. This can make a difference if you want to have some files for playback, separated from the files you have recorded.

The H2 is a much smaller, more compact form factor. The H2 will time-stamp all recordings, so that makes searching for something you know you recorded last Tuesday afternoon in the midst of a bunch of other recordings.

The H4 has some mike modeling processes, the H2 not. I never found them to be that good, and you can always do this after the fact on the laptop, anyway.

The H4 has XLR and 1/4" inputs, the H2 just 1/8" minijacks. No big wup, unless you want to use some external mikes, then you'd need some adaptors (and possibly a pre, not sure if the H2 has enough gain on the external mike inputs for a lo-z mike).

Overall, I could have bought either. But the smaller form factor, better mikes and no need for overdubbing made me pick the H2.

Anything more technical than this, you can check the website out
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1916 http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901&brandID=4

Hope this helps.

#231483 - 04/06/08 01:26 PM Re: Zoom H2 and H4 Comparison Request
BEBOP Offline

Thank you Friend Diki,
Those are the answers I was trying to get from somebody that knows the hardware. I always carry my laptop in the motorhome and it has Cakewalk deluxe Pro Audio in it if I want more.
I appreciate your time and talent.
I will buy the H2 then for my use. Thanks for helping me make this decision.
Best to you and yours,
Bill
I just placed the order for the Zoom H2 179.99 no tax or ship and a 2 Gig Sd card for 19.99 also. I am pleased.
Bebop

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 04-06-2008).]

#231484 - 04/12/08 02:13 PM Re: Zoom H2 and H4 Comparison Request
BEBOP Offline

The Zoom H 2 was delivered today. Not much bigger then a cell phone but has a 90 page manual!
it will do just about everything I can do here in the studio with all it's equipment. this will be ideal for the field/motorhome.
Thanks to whoever put me onto this little Gem. I can see i am going to like it a bunch.
Best to all,
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online