SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#231248 - 04/03/08 03:42 PM Simple Midi Question
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, I'm a bit new to the world of computer recording (besides audacity), So I have a simple question about MIDI:

My Yamaha PSR1500 has a usb drive port, I use it with a Kingston flash drive, wtvr. Now what I want to know is: How come when you play back a recorded song or style on the PC from the flash drive, does it sound horrible?? it doesn't have the same quality as on the keyboard, so: how do you make it have the same or better quality on the PC?

Do I need some type of midi software? I know audaicity is free but what about for MIDI. Thank you all, Really.

Shim

#231249 - 04/03/08 04:20 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
If you play back the recorded MIDI file (SMF or .mid file) on your laptop or PC, it will by default play the file through the built-in GM synthesizer, NOT the PSR. These are invariably poorer in quality than the PSR.

You will have to set up the USB to transmit the MIDI from your laptop or PC to the PSR (if it is capable of this) or use a MIDI interface and send the MIDI down a MIDI cable to the PSR's MIDI ports (if it has them).

I am a Mac user, so you will need someone fluent in Windows to step you through this...

#231250 - 04/03/08 04:44 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
shim Offline

What I mean is: I don't want to play back PC midi files onto the keyboard, Rather I want to record the midi file ON TO my PC and have good quality on the PC. (for recording/putting on a website/converting to mp3 etc. What will I need for that?

Thanks for the reply!

Windows Users? Anyone?

#231251 - 04/03/08 05:15 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
You can't, the PSR sounds are just not in your keyboard. The MIDI file is just a set of text instructions telling the sound module what to do. The only way would be to have the facility to convert your PSR midi sounds to MP3 and than these would play on the PC, because they bring their sounds with them.
Keith

#231252 - 04/03/08 05:35 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
Diki Online   content

You have to record the PSR's AUDIO outputs to your computer's audio ins (if it has them) and record as a mp3 (or .wav and convert later). MIDI has NO sound, it is just computer codes.

Do a search for 'recording my arranger' here, you'll probably get what you need...

#231253 - 04/03/08 05:49 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
shim Offline

Thanks guys!

So how then do Midi sequecers work? How do people make recordings with MIDI? (please bare with my ignorance...;-)

#231254 - 04/03/08 06:03 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
Diki Online   content

Alternatively, an inexpensive, portable solution to your problem is to get a Zoom H2 pocket recorder. I just bought one for $169 on sale...

It records from mp3 (no converting necessary) all the way up to 24/96 surround sound, it will act as an audio interface for your computer (if you don't already have one), it is small enough and light enough to take everywhere you go, the files transfer lickety-split to your computer (to add to a website), and it has NO moving parts (records to an SD card).

If you don't want the learning curve of computer recording, and could use a handy dandy pocket recorder of the highest quality, give one of these a whirl...

BTW, coolest feature? It allows multiple folders to play back or record into. So you can put your break music mp3's in one or more folders (or your tracks) and record into a different one. It will play ONE song at a time (for you, Donny!) or the whole list in order. It's not an iPod, but it DOES record well.

The H4 is a bit more expensive, offers XLR and 1/4" inputs (H2 is 1/8" stereo minijack only), and one thing the H2 can't do... overdub. That's about the only thing worth getting it for over the H2, and it's clunky at best compared with a DAW.

But either of these will do away with the need for a computer audio interface and complicated recording programs. Check it out, it might be all you need...

#231255 - 04/03/08 06:43 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
shim Offline

Thank you Diki!
Where you located? And where did you find it for $169?

BTW, what then is the point of Midi recording? how does it sound good (on cd's tapes etc.)?
Shim

[This message has been edited by shim (edited 04-03-2008).]

#231256 - 04/03/08 07:03 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
Diki Online   content

Florida panhandle. My local store had a closed-door sale, hence the great price, but you can get them for usually around $199, and pay no sales tax (like I had to!), so it's probably a push...

MIDI is used as a way to EDIT a performance BEFORE it is recorded in audio. Like I said, as you appear to be quite new at this, some Googling or a Wiki search might get you some articles that explain it in more depth than I have the time for, right here...

#231257 - 04/03/08 07:04 PM Re: Simple Midi Question
shim Offline

What about the Lexicon Alpha Desktop Recording Interface ($100 plus Cubase)?

DO you think the Zoon h2 is still better? Diki?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online