SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2312 - 09/28/05 08:45 AM SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am running mac os 9.2.2 on a 933MHz G4. (yes i also start fires by rubbing two wood splints together). i recently aquired an akai s1100 and want to connect it via scsi to the mac so i can ship files to it. what scsi card do i get? any help is greatly appreciated...thanks!

------------------
these beats that break that bass

#2313 - 09/30/05 06:49 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi!
I've got a few Macs at my studio. Including G4/933 Mhz.
When I originally bought it I installed a SCSI card but haven't used it much since. Never really used it with OS9. Ever since USB drives and software samplers replaced all the stuf I used to own using SCSI became redunndant. I will look at some of my warranty papers and old manuals to find out exactly which SCSI card it is I have installed on my G4 and let you know.

-ED-

-ED_

#2314 - 09/30/05 10:06 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
It's very important to use the required SCSI standard! Look into your AKAI manual and search for the SCSI entry!

Is it SCSI I, II or III, wide or narrow? How many PINs has your AKAI's SCSI port?

Which format does your AKAI sampler provide for its SCSI port? Is it DOS or AKAI OS?

Are you planning to use HD drives as a storage device between them both? Make sure that all devices have their own ID number!!!

All those questions have to be cleared first before you can connect your AKAI sampler to your Mac (or any other computer). Feel free to ask further questions if you're not sure about it!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#2315 - 09/30/05 03:09 PM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
3351 Offline

Yes.
All those things.
However, I was able to connect my AKAI samplers to my Macs without having to think of any of those dreadful things.

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

#2316 - 09/30/05 07:31 PM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
However, I was able to connect my AKAI samplers to my Macs without having to think of any of those dreadful things.

Maybe it was the music dealer who thought for you about those dreadful things?

If I would have bought my SCSI devices in 1993/94 (when I bought my Atari and Kurzweil) then I also wouldn't have to think about those things because the most computer devices had have the SCSI-I (25 PINs) standard. Early AKAI and Kurzweil samplers/synths also had have SCSI-I. Today it's so much more complicated... ...but, no matter because...there are no problems - only tasks...

It's possible that later products of AKAI came with SCSI-II. You did use a SCSI card in your Apple G4 PPC? It's possible that it has a SCSI-II adaptor (50 PINs in 2x25 closed lines) or maybe even a SCSI-III adaptor (68 PINs). In a normal case newer SCSI controllers are downward compatible with older SCSI standards but, SCSI sometimes is a book with seven seals...

#2317 - 10/01/05 06:53 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
3351 Offline

You're definitely not reading things very carefully.
It says: AKAI S1100. Afraid at the time when S1000 and S1100 came out they only shipped with one type of SCSI port. I don't think they were intended to work with anything else. I could be wrong, but my gutt feeling tells me I'm not. It could be just experience of knowing what to look for and what to leave out.

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord Volker (edited 10-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by John Lennon (edited 10-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-01-2005).]

#2318 - 10/01/05 06:28 PM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
Sheriff Offline

Did I write anything else?

Quote:
Original post by myself
...Early AKAI and Kurzweil samplers/synths also had have SCSI-I...

This was the first SCSI standard which was called "SCSI" only instead of "SCSI-I" because nobody thought about faster interfaces at this time...

I don't know when exactly AKAI's S1000 or S1100 came on market but I know a lot about SCSI standards, computers and digital technologies. Also, I think I remember that those samplers came in the years when Kurzweil sold its K2k series. Is that wrong?

Now, I'm the one who have to tell you: "Chill!" I only try to help someone to solve his problem. Remember, you've tried the same!!! Did you find the name of your SCSI card in the meantime?

#2319 - 10/02/05 06:38 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
3351 Offline

I'm afraid your EGO is too big.
You show no flexibility of thought.

Too dam stuck in your ways. Too damn self centered.

Our creative differences point me to the door.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-02-2005).]

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 10-02-2005).]

#2320 - 10/02/05 09:11 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
Sheriff Offline

Well, I don't bow the truth if this is it what you mean.

What EGO do you mean? Why did you always think that I'm talking to you? In that case I would write you an e-mail. And what makes you always thinking that I'm wrong with my opinions and experiences? I'm really a hard- and software engineer beside my life as a musician...

In the last three threads you always attacked me. I didn't attack you with words but I tried to answer a topic starter...and I tried to answer you without any anger. Nevertheless I felt sometimes be insulted by your "kind" words. You're thinking that I don't have any answer about technics or music. You're always laughing about my 16/44.1 high end studio but fact is that I can make good productions on it...and where are yours?

Please, don't throw with stones as long as you're sitting in a glass house!!!

BTW: Did you find the name of the SCSI card in the meantime? There's still someone waiting for help...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 10-02-2005).]

EDIT: Okay, sorry, ED!!! Maybe I was a little bit overheated by our little discussions. If you felt insulted by any kind of my words then I say sorry. But, please, don't let words kill our friendship!!!

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 10-03-2005).]

#2321 - 10/05/05 08:50 AM Re: SCSI vs Mac vs Akai
3351 Offline

Well my dear friend Sheriff,
I'm sure one day we will look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Peace brother,

Now, to our guest.
Here's what I've found out so far. Adaptec SCSI SE. Released in 2002. That's all I could see on the card using my magnifying glass. Ouch... Never make me do this again. Even for money.

Talked to my dealer and it is confirmed. AKAI S1000 and S1100 were meant to work with only one type of SCSI interface so regardless of when our S1100 was purchased it has the same SCSI card as it did in the year 1990. Guaranteed that it wil work with any Mac. Can't say anything about PCs. Downside of using it with the Mac is that you will not be able to start your Mac when the SCSI cable is connected to your AKAI. You will have to boot the Mac and then connect the cable. OSX handles SCSI connections in a less anal manner but since you're using OS 9 you'll have to do what most of us did for at least a decade. Risk blowing your SCSI port every time you connect/disconnect it to the Mac while the power is on. Mind you, I never had a SCSI port die on me. NOt from hooking up samplers anyway.

Another good news is that SCSI cards that will work with Macs and allow you to connect to your AKAI are still available. YOu will have to talk to dealers for detailes. That's as far as my expertise goes.
You're looking at spending may be about $50-$60 tops.

-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online