SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230969 - 04/02/08 10:25 PM Re: Tough Decision
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i do not play a G70, but i do play the E60, which in many ways is pretty similar. the roland's styles are the most reliable, IMO, they cover alot of styles, and they do it good!
roland has it's share of bugs or shortcomings, but glitches in styles? i cound not find that one!
OTOH, korg still has some problems with the timing when pressing fillins. i know because i have tested it, including pa2x. and the biggest "guilt" for yamaha is the styles are over quantized, they sound too mechanic and not "live" like.
you really should find a G70 and play it. it is totally different from s900, build wise, weight, touch, everything. too bad s900's build quality is not as roland's!....

#230970 - 04/02/08 11:57 PM Re: Tough Decision
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by rphillipchuk:
Hi Kingfrog

If you go here
http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_musicbox&task=viewAuth&Itemid= 55&id=13

You will be able to listen to a well seasoned Performer by the name of " Don Mason " ...You can hear real songs played on the G70,PSR2000,PSR9000,TYROS2,SD1 and the S900.

This might help you out

Ron

Thank you.Great help........Excepting I am now looking seriously at the Korg. Seems to be closer to the Yamaha in sound quality with the features I like of the Roland. I have listened to every Roland demo and then the Yamaha. My wife and I agreed some of the Roland sounds sounded like a keyboard playing non keyboard parts. We could not distinguish ANY of Yamaha's acoustic sounds from the real thing. The "polished and Mastered CD" quality of the mix is a plus for us as thats how we intend to use it. I have decided to go with the "Super boards" though. The Tyros 2 or the Korg PA800/Pa2x The PA800 is a short version of the PA2x. I can ge the PSR s900 for just over cost at around $1200 as well as the Tyros 2 which can be had used for less than cost unlike the s900.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 04-03-2008).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#230971 - 04/03/08 07:49 AM Re: Tough Decision
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
As DNJ Donny always says, use YOUR ears. All of the keyboards mentioned here are top notch TOTL arrangers. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Only YOU can make that final decision. At this point we are starting to get to the 'my board is better than yours' border, which we should not want to cross again. Good luck making your decision....

... just make sure it a #&*&%%$@ lol

#230972 - 04/03/08 08:04 AM Re: Tough Decision
Dnj Offline

Kingfrog, this post is from a player that had a G70 only for a few days, never liked it, and hasn't been able to stop panning it since. He never even updated it to the current OS, and somehow magically got glitches that NO-ONE ever heard before.

But you don't hear ANYONE else having his problems... So I would take that one with a grain of salt. I've never heard anything posted that demonstrated it... A lot of style 'glitches' come from poor timing on the input (your LH). Roland's are capable of changing chords on the 16th note, as far as I know, most others only recognize the 8th note. Perhaps this, and a combination of using the wrong chord recognition mode was the problem.

If you use the default 'Intelligent' (One Finger type) mode, you'll get glitches if you don't put ALL the notes down simultaneously, as for instance, the C gets you a Cmaj, then the Eb gets you Cmin, then the F gets you an F7, then the Bb gets you an F7sus. Which, if you were trying for an F7sus is a lot to glitch through.

But a simple choice of the right mode, Standard, or even better, the 'three notes before ANY chord is changed' Piano Style avoids most of this.

The thing you have to watch out for is that ALL the ROM styles' OTS settings change the arranger to this so-called 'Intelligent' mode (you can change them all later to your choice with some software we have at the Roland-arranger.com), so it might lead you to believe it does this ALL the time.

Which it does NOT...
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
As DNJ Donny always says, use YOUR ears. All of the keyboards mentioned here are top notch TOTL arrangers. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Only YOU can make that final decision. At this point we are starting to get to the 'my board is better than yours' border, which we should not want to cross again. Good luck making your decision....
... just make sure it a #&*&%%$@ lol

I totaly agree with Diki's & Cass posts above.....I have never had a glitch problem with any Roland....& also this is why my point about all this Keyboard YAK YAK WITHOUT Posting Examples, Demos, Songs, to further explain what people are talking about.... leaves everyone up in the air with whats left ONLY YAK YAK YAK from who knows who....so taking it all with a faceless grain of salt is the only way. When I had my Pa800 I posted some demo examples but I guess I was a jerk for doing so & thinking it would help some people make decisions on a purchase.....unfortunately you hardly hear anyone reciprocating with demos ahhhhhh whats the use?.......Unless you can HEAR what someone claims I say.......

FORGET ALL ELSE .....USE YOUR OWN EARS!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-03-2008).]

#230973 - 04/03/08 11:27 AM Re: Tough Decision
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So much of what some people think are arranger faults turn out to be 'operator error', especially when they first get an arranger. Unfamiliarity, and sometimes an unwillingness to ask other, more experienced users whether the problems they are having are actual faults, or just something they are doing wrong.

Also, the unwillingness to post ANY audio examples is telling. If you are not confident enough to let others hear your playing (and the problem you describe), it begs the question 'maybe this IS operator error?'

Especially if no-one else reports the same problem...

#230974 - 04/03/08 11:35 AM Re: Tough Decision
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The G70 is a decent arranger...I thought it sounded very nice and the styles worked fine for me.

It's weight is both it's best asset and biggest drawback...it's well made, but HEAVY.

Ian

#230975 - 04/03/08 07:46 PM Re: Tough Decision
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
go here if you want to hear my latest song recorded on the Roland E 80. http://roland-arranger.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=731.0
Bebop

#230976 - 04/03/08 10:26 PM Re: Tough Decision
zuki Offline

I agree, it is difficult to get glitches while playing c, g, or f chords, but not the same when playing complex chords. Try the G70 and you'll find it is no way near the Yamaha in fluidity.

Certainly, I can't be the only one experiencing this? Or maybe I'm the only with guts....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230977 - 04/03/08 10:45 PM Re: Tough Decision
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
State the chords you want, in the style you want, and I'll play them and record it for you, Zuki...

But first, a question... did you know that if you used an OTS button, the Roland automatically moved the chord recognition type to One Finger Chord (Intelligent Mode)?

And that EVERY factory UPG is set to One Finger Chord by default? So, if you changed it to Standard, or Pianostyle (the best one for minimizing chord input error - see my description above for what might be the problem), and then hit an OTS button, it changes it back without telling you!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 04-03-2008).]

#230978 - 04/04/08 03:03 AM Re: Tough Decision
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But first, a question... did you know that if you used an OTS button, the Roland automatically moved the chord recognition type to One Finger Chord (Intelligent Mode)?
EVERY factory UPG is set to One Finger Chord by default.

Now, if that doesn't smack of "home keyboard" nothing does.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 04-04-2008).]

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online