SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230959 - 04/02/08 05:49 AM Re: Tough Decision
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
The intellegant break on the Yamaha is amazing. Even the fills know which beat ou are on. I wonder if the Roland is as "intellegant" or even more then the 900.

No, the G70 is not as fluid as the Yamaha in style change (lots of glitches). My Korg PA800 is very good and the Yamaha 900 is nearly perfect.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#230960 - 04/02/08 10:09 AM Re: Tough Decision
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Well that would eliminate the Roland. When switching styles (with the fill) or selecting a break the 900 "knows" which beat you are on and seemlessly changes the arrangement/Drum fill to reflect that perfectly. That feature amazed me almost as much as the Kurzweil's ability to change the style arrangement dependent on the actual chord played.

The only "glitches" I have had in the Yamaha are those in which I was sloppy in switching chords.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#230961 - 04/02/08 11:04 AM Re: Tough Decision
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
IMHO, Yamaha does a lot of things better than ROland. The OS is very simple to navigate. But, as I said previously, I like the Roland styles better and the G70 jusst gives me that satisfaction factor that I never got from the 2k or 3k.

#230962 - 04/02/08 11:41 AM Re: Tough Decision
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

BTW: I performed with a band a few weeks ago, a country band, one that really rocked the house. They loved what they heard from the PSR-3000 and asked when I could join them again. Not a prayer--and not enough money.
Gary

Gary ... Did you enjoy playing with them ? ... what about the inter-play between musicians ? ...
Every gig can't JUST be about the money ...

t.

#230963 - 04/02/08 12:02 PM Re: Tough Decision
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
IMHO, Yamaha does a lot of things better than ROland. The OS is very simple to navigate. But, as I said previously, I like the Roland styles better and the G70 jusst gives me that satisfaction factor that I never got from the 2k or 3k.

Thats probably true from what Im reading. But I think one can get styles freom any Arranger and convert them. There are thousands of available styles out there for Yamaha already/ Just have to sift through them.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#230964 - 04/02/08 02:20 PM Re: Tough Decision
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony,

We had a ball, and I've played with them in the past. However, at my age getting home at 3 in the morning, putting up with drunks, and $75 for 4 hours work just don't cut it. I'm now to the point where semi-retirement will probably take place next year. I'm also one of the few full-time musicians I know that has been faithfully putting money into their own retirement fund for the past 15 years. You can't go into semi-retirement if you do break even jobs. Yep, those jobs are lots of fun, but when you do this for a living you need to put something away for the future years.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230965 - 04/02/08 04:49 PM Re: Tough Decision
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Hi Kingfrog

If you go here
http://www.createsongstyles.com/index.php?option=com_musicbox&task=viewAuth&Itemid=55&id=13

You will be able to listen to a well seasoned Performer by the name of " Don Mason " ...You can hear real songs played on the G70,PSR2000,PSR9000,TYROS2,SD1 and the S900.

This might help you out

Ron

------------------
createsongstyles.com

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#230966 - 04/02/08 04:51 PM Re: Tough Decision
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by travlin'easy:
[B]Tony,

We had a ball, and I've played with them in the past. However, at my age getting home at 3 in the morning, putting up with drunks, and $75 for 4 hours work just don't cut it. I'm now to the point where semi-retirement will probably take place next year. I'm also one of the few full-time musicians I know that has been faithfully putting money into their own retirement fund for the past 15 years. You can't go into semi-retirement if you do break even jobs. Yep, those jobs are lots of fun, but when you do this for a living you need to put something away for the future years.

Gary, At age 76 I can say you speak words of wisdom.
John C.

#230967 - 04/02/08 07:24 PM Re: Tough Decision
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
No, the G70 is not as fluid as the Yamaha in style change (lots of glitches). My Korg PA800 is very good and the Yamaha 900 is nearly perfect.

zuki

Kingfrog, this post is from a player that had a G70 only for a few days, never liked it, and hasn't been able to stop panning it since. He never even updated it to the current OS, and somehow magically got glitches that NO-ONE ever heard before.

But you don't hear ANYONE else having his problems... So I would take that one with a grain of salt. I've never heard anything posted that demonstrated it... A lot of style 'glitches' come from poor timing on the input (your LH). Roland's are capable of changing chords on the 16th note, as far as I know, most others only recognize the 8th note. Perhaps this, and a combination of using the wrong chord recognition mode was the problem.

If you use the default 'Intelligent' (One Finger type) mode, you'll get glitches if you don't put ALL the notes down simultaneously, as for instance, the C gets you a Cmaj, then the Eb gets you Cmin, then the F gets you an F7, then the Bb gets you an F7sus. Which, if you were trying for an F7sus is a lot to glitch through.

But a simple choice of the right mode, Standard, or even better, the 'three notes before ANY chord is changed' Piano Style avoids most of this.

The thing you have to watch out for is that ALL the ROM styles' OTS settings change the arranger to this so-called 'Intelligent' mode (you can change them all later to your choice with some software we have at the Roland-arranger.com), so it might lead you to believe it does this ALL the time.

Which it does NOT...

#230968 - 04/02/08 09:55 PM Re: Tough Decision
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ron, thanks for mentioning me regarding the G70 songs. I liked it a lot. It is just a little too heavy for me. There were only a couple other things I didn't like, but a huge amount of thing I DID like.
DonM

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online