SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230949 - 03/31/08 11:35 PM Tough Decision
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Man I am having issue making a decision on an arranger. I am very familiar with the Yamahas as I work for a dealer and can buy then for $100 above cost.

However I really like the Roland G-70 over the s900 and even the Tyros. The sounds are great on the Yamaha. I have only heard the online demos of the G-70. I can get a used g-70 for $2000.

Any ideas? I did play the Korgs but liked the Yamaha better.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#230950 - 04/01/08 12:10 AM Re: Tough Decision
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Basically, you've got to use YOUR ears, and YOUR knowledge when making this decision. It isn't about the money (unless it is SO tight that this post is moot, anyway), it's about what makes YOU happy.

Every arranger has strong points and weak points. No exceptions. Roland have weak points (go to Roland-arranger.com for MY opinions!), and Yamaha do too (just don't ask Ian ), but if you've played them both and Roland float your boat, then have at it..!

The online demos of the G70 really show how much guff is spouted at this keyboard. In the right hands, it can sound as good as any other TOTL arranger out there. Better, in a 'live' sense than most, only the guitars are a little weak in comparison to Yamaha, the drums blow just about anything else away, and the piano is without equal (IMO).

If you like to tweak your styles or SMFs, once again, the Roland is by FAR the easiest to do this. If you want, OTOH, to pull it out of the box and do little more than play the styles, Yamaha may be the better decision. I think Yamaha have the best 'instant gratification' factor, but Roland and Korg offer more in the way of customization. Yamaha also have a VERY 'polite', polished sound, whereas the Roland's and Korg's sound more 'live'. If you intend to play primarily as background music, Yamaha may be the best choice. If you want to be noticed, and have a more realistic 'live band' sound, go Roland.

Finally, one last word. The Yamaha's are GREAT OMB arrangers. But that's it... The G70 is a GREAT real live band keyboard, with a full 76 action (the best in the business), an awesome piano sound (ditto, IMO), the best Hammond sim in an arranger, and a killer OS for live use. If you intend to do MORE than just play OMB, perhaps actually play with real live people (I know, I know, the horror! ), then the Roland is by FAR the keyboard that will take you further.

The G70 will give you room to grow. The S900 is what it is... an arranger, pure and simple. Lousy keyboard action, no balls to keep up with a live band, everything optimized for the OMB...

What do you want to BE...? (not what are you NOW)...

#230951 - 04/01/08 02:48 AM Re: Tough Decision
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
S900 aint no slouch

#230952 - 04/01/08 03:36 AM Re: Tough Decision
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If you are going to use the instrument in a home situation or as a solo, or One Man Band instrument, your best best is the PSR-S900...smooth and light keyboard action, excellent operating system, phenomenal third party support, awesome Super Articulated and Mega voices exclusive to Yamaha....AND an instrument that is light and easy to transport if you're doing any gigging.

PLUS...you get a warranty.

Ian

#230953 - 04/01/08 07:08 AM Re: Tough Decision
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
The G-70 was the best arranger keyboard I ever owned. As for a live band situation, it was no slouch either - actually, it was a dream. Given the opportunity, I would take back the G-70 in a blink.

I've owned the PSR 2000 and 3000. Both were great boards and had great features, but neither gave me the satisfaction factor the G-70 did. Just one man's opinion.

#230954 - 04/01/08 07:18 AM Re: Tough Decision
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
The G-70 was the best arranger keyboard I ever owned. As for a live band situation, it was no slouch either - actually, it was a dream. Given the opportunity, I would take back the G-70 in a blink.

Cass...same here.....I loved the G70 but the Size & Weight was the deal breaker for me, A super busy schedule, with constant setup/breakdowns was a bit much for that kind of real estate...but I will tell you this...if Roland trims the size & lightens it up about 10 lbs...& keeps all the great features the G70 has.....they'll have my money for sure....I cant wait for their next TOTL "GX90" arranger or what ever it will be named.

Play On!!

#230955 - 04/01/08 08:52 AM Re: Tough Decision
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I Played the G 70 styles on my tyros 2 until I became convinced I had to have one. The luck of the draw got me a Roland E 80 instead and I still have the Tyros 2. I go back and forth between them but the E 80 is getting more time for me as I keep playing them. I think I will prolly be selling the Tyros before too long and stay with the E 80.
Bebop

#230956 - 04/01/08 09:10 AM Re: Tough Decision
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
If given the choice today Yamaha or Roland G70. I'd have a tough time deciding as well. But I would keep the G70 knowing what I know now and having been thru both a Tyros 2 and a G70.

But only you can be the judge.

#230957 - 04/01/08 02:16 PM Re: Tough Decision
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Buy what sounds best to you, and is best suited to your specific needs. Everyone has their own axe to grind on the forum, but I think the best judge of what you need is YOU!

BTW: I performed with a band a few weeks ago, a country band, one that really rocked the house. They loved what they heard from the PSR-3000 and asked when I could join them again. Not a prayer--and not enough money.

Good Luck on whatever keyboard you decide upon,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230958 - 04/01/08 08:23 PM Re: Tough Decision
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Thanks all. I know my ears should be the final arbiter. however. I enjoy reading especially the pluses and minuses of each Moniker.

I sold a triton. Proteus 2000 and a few other modules when I heard the s900. I write using generic sounds. I want a trumpet to sound like a trumpet. Guitars are very important to me as well as I don't play well enough to fill that gap.

I listened to the demos but as you all know the demos are all stops out. I would love to find a site to hear the sounds individually since no one in my general area has a g70. I did play a Fantom next to a Motif and actually liked the Motif better soundwise.

I play the Tyros and s900 everyday at work but there is a G70 refurb on Ebay for $2k I am looking at as well. It has been listed and recieved no bites. Its back up again.

We have a Roland RD700 so I know the piano sounds are plenty good and Roland is a quality company.

The intellegant break on the Yamaha is amazing. Even the fills know which beat ou are on. I wonder if the Roland is as "intellegant" or even more then the 900.

I played an old Kurtzweil that would actually change the style based on the SPECIFIC CHORD type. I am afraid I may get board with the 900 but there are plenty of styles out there to cover evry song.....

Decisions decisions.......
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online