SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#230931 - 03/31/08 02:56 PM A closer look at the work-load...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After going nuts and climbing on my jazz bandwagon, I took a real look at my work last year and my commitments for this year:

* Surprisingly, 15 % of my jobs are on amplified instrumental nylon string guitar for art and organization events (Tenderly, Masquerade, Someone to Watch Over Me, etc). Only one other person does this in the area. He's a classical guitar instructor at a private college who has training but doesn't play with much feeling. (est.-approx 50 jobs. Enjoyment factor-8).

* 10% of my work is grand piano at State, local, arts and University sponsored events. Same material-all instrumentals. (est.-approx 30-35 jobs. Enjoyment factor-7).

* 20% Arranger work. Less than 1/2 as a single. Other conbinations are added guitar and horn-usually sax/flute, but often Fluegel. Sometimes percussion to sweeten (my grandson) and any of a bunch of other options, including an additional keyboard, vibes (strange, I know, but what fun, and I have a nice Set of Seikos-brought in from overseas-not available here), etc. (est-50-60 jobs-Enjoyment factor-6 1/2).

* 30% trio work. Here, I'll do large jazz guitar and digital piano, with my son on acoustic and electric bass and my grandson on drums.(est-70-75 jobs-Enjoyment factor-9-it's a family affair, you know).

* 20% B-3 and C-1 work. B-3 is used for a house job with a drummer and never moves. C-1 will be used with an Electro on my right hand, with a drummer and added players as budget permits. (est. 50-60 jobs-Enjoyment factor-9 1/2).

* 5% larger groups. These will be Alumni association events, Derby parties at large horse farms, etc. (Est-15-20 per year-Enjoyment factor-8).

The change is, I'll sub duo-trio work for single arranger work as much as possible and add players to the arrange set-up when possible. Everything will be done with a jazz approach. I'll gladly give up some income to hire additional players, especially because those will always include my son and grandson, when possible.

This way, I'll fight the boredom factor, while being in control of the overall product. I'll also do daytime session work, 10 or so film scores for the films i produce and do occasional Sunday sideman work on vibes, upright and guitar when possible with the local Jazz Arts group (enjoyment factor-8 1/2).

This will let me cover my commitments with a good level of flexibility. I am happiest when backing other players-making them sound good and getting to that place where the unspoken communication on the stand is at 100%.

The arranger will have a place of honor in this plan, but it won't be the key tool for performance. I'll use it when appropriate and appreciate the added flexibility having one affords.

I'm so glad that, with only 9 weeks off from playing at least 4 gigs a week for 53 years last February, my hands and brain are in good enough shape to justify the recent purchase a lot of new performance equipment in the last few months (C-1, Electro, GW-7, SH-201, Midjay, SD-5, double cut Les Paul, Flying V, Godin Jazz guitar(I know I'm missing something). That means, barring a major illness, I'm planning to work at this level for another 3-4 years until those SS checks start arriving (if the program survives).

It's GREAt to be this cranked up. I'm revitalized and so greatful I can still work at a relatively high level.

Life is GOOD!

Russ

#230932 - 03/31/08 03:09 PM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, God bless you my friend. You have the talent, no question about it. You also have the drive and ambition it takes to get where you are. Keep up the good work and ambitious schedule.

Best regards!

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-31-2008).]

#230933 - 04/01/08 03:28 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Ahh,
musicianship,
presented in economic terms,
coupled with a satisfaction factor.
And a plan to follow for the future.

Bravo Russ, I want to be like you when I grow up.

#230934 - 04/01/08 03:47 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm glad I'm basically lazy...two well paying gigs a week are enough to keep me economically secure.

A few Yamaha clinics a month are nice extra income, allowing for a few luxuries and the occasional new keyboard.

I like having free time.

Ian

#230935 - 04/01/08 04:44 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
Dnj Offline

Im changing my boots to waders....

#230936 - 04/01/08 04:50 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Im changing my boots to waders....

Can you be a little more vague?

Ian

#230937 - 04/01/08 05:21 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

I figured as much.

#230938 - 04/01/08 07:11 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I figured as much.

Ian.....common, its April fools day buddy lighten up Spring is nice in Cape Breton

#230939 - 04/01/08 07:18 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ian.....common, its April fools day buddy lighten up Spring is nice in Cape Breton

It's snowing hard and it's -15 degrees Celsius...no foolin'.

Colder than a mother-in-law's kiss.

Good day to be inside and doing my CD.

The S900's audio to USB makes it a doddle.

Ian

#230940 - 04/01/08 07:20 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
Dnj Offline

Yes bundle up....& create music by the fireplace with a bowl of Chowder!! YUMMMY....
I know you'll send me that new CD right?

Cant wait

#230941 - 04/01/08 07:42 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have two sons who move and set-up equipment for me. Normally, when I get to a job, everything is up and running. When I leave, I don't do any tear-down. Often,it'sa off to a second job, which has been set-up during the first. And, I have two permanent set-ups; the B-3 and Rhodes at the Club and an MS-60 and GW-7 at another house job.

If I had to move and set-up every job, I'd probably dramatically cut back the plan.

Thank goodness for strong youngsters.

R.

#230942 - 04/01/08 07:45 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

Actually I'm making some Beavertails...great on a snowy day.

The Italian variant is zeppole.

I like them sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon. YUM!

Ian

#230943 - 04/01/08 07:59 AM Re: A closer look at the work-load...
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Normally, when I get to a job, everything is up and running. When I leave, I don't do any tear-down. Often,it'sa off to a second job, which has been set-up during the first. And, I have two permanent set-ups; the B-3 and Rhodes at the Club and an MS-60 and GW-7 at another house job.

If I had to move and set-up every job, I'd probably dramatically cut back the plan.

Thank goodness for strong youngsters.R.

It's nice not to have to move too much...my restaurant gig is for two consecutive nights...I can leave my gear set up between them.

I have a key and set up before the place opens...tear-down is the same.

Gear is light.....nothing over 28 lbs...so it's not a real bother, but it is nice to eliminate at least one move.

The Yamaha gigs are even cooler....roadies for those...love it!

Ian the Indolent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online