SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230835 - 03/31/08 04:52 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Domenik..WOW!!! This may be just what I have been looking for...It has a lot of your MediaStation goodies too...

Do you know the current price of this unit..

Is it like your media player..allowing transpose of audio in realtime?

Will it allow a controller keyboard to play VST as your Media Station does?

I will try to find the answers, but I know you already know the answers...maybe you can email me or Yahoo chat..Thanks for the heads up..Fran

#230836 - 03/31/08 05:46 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Fran Carango Offline

#230837 - 03/31/08 05:47 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well now, maybe I'm too late to the party, but here are some answers.

You can save up to 1000 songs in a regular folder, 000-999. There are 10 folders, so theoretically you could save 10,000 mp3 at 128kps. Storage depends on the size of your memory card. They say you can use a 4gb , but I'm thinking it will also accept the new 8gb too.
You can only view 4 or 5 files per screen, but the screen will scroll up and down. You can rename Zoom files into 7character names.

I have been able to up/download Zoom files to the SD card with no problem, but I haven't tried loading a regular mp3 yet. I might have to rename it first, we'll see.

As for recording, I find it does equally well with its internal mics and line in material.

For $199, I feel it was a good purchase. I have a hand-held mini-disc recorder I have never gotten used to. This unit is way superior to my MD-N707. Even if I can't use it to play mp3 on the job, it has already paid for itself by letting me resume recoring my choir easily as I used to with a cassette deck.

UPDATE - I just loaded some mp3 into a folder. I physically transferred them from my PC to the H2 thru the SD card. It accepted the original song name and simply scrolled across the screen to read the entire filename. So, I would say you could load up an H2 with as many mp3 as you SD card can handle. You can save them nto ten folders, so those could be your playlists. You could have the same file in multiple folders. As far as searching, I don't have that answer yet.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 03-31-2008).]

#230838 - 03/31/08 06:02 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Fran Carango Offline

Indamixx is a company that loads the selected Linux compatible programs..The link I posted is Samsung's..showing the neat touch screen PC's..

#230839 - 03/31/08 06:22 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Fran Carango Offline

Cass, thanks for your input..I did talk with Don today and he verified what you also mentioned..One biggie...I can't search while a song is playing..This means down time between songs..They could be placed in a folder and played one after another, but that removes the ability to read an audience and change selections...

While I went to buy a H-2, the alternative selected option was the Edirol R-09, considered more favorable over the H-2...in options and ability..It does cost more $$$..

It was enough for me to re-think my position...After heading back home and recapping what I knew....It dawned on me I had a very good solution already..My Laptop is armed with a pentium 4 processor, and considered the best multitask processor...I tested a combination of MP3 playback, VST play via a keyboard controller, and recording to my external 5400 speed drive via USB..using Acid Pro...Low and behold..everything worked perfect with no glitches..I tested this for 2 hours straight...My MP3's and sequences played from the lt hard drive as well as the VST's..and the recording was saved to the external drive....

I wanted to record the band performances...that means the lt would always be in use anyway...so all I need to do is plug in the external drive..open Acid Pro and click record...just let it record all night...Edit out what I want to skip and burn it after converted to MP3...All night performance on a single CD...

I will test it out over the weekend and see how it goes..

The Samsung unit really interest me as a lt replacement..touch screen and a lot of programs Domenik uses on the Media Station..Samsung has the Linux version[under $800]..The High end XP version is $1,300..

#230840 - 04/01/08 01:43 AM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
The Samsung is one of may other possibility available today. The only problem are the CPU power, because they have to use a fanless version.
Anyway, with 800Mhz Cpu is possible run a lot of stuff and for only $800 they offer really a nice PC console! ( someone there spend much more money just for upgrade the keyboard for install a simple Mp3 player or Ram, CD kit, USB 1.0 kit...)
Buy one simple PC toy like the Samsung and then Install for FREE one of this distribution: http://64studio.com/ http://jacklab.net/jacklaborg/english/?JackLab_Audio_Distribution

then you can run the all Linux Audio application that you like and for FREE!

Of course is NOT available one audio-midi player like the Mediastation, because we have included the Elastique commercial license, available only in a professional audio tools.

I suggest you then to use the new Qtractor 1.2: http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html
because is full audio-midi editor with Mp3/ogg support integrated.
IF then you wil use it, qtractor is compatible session with Qranger and then we can share songs with Voice.
( just import one standard midifile and then record your voice OR many voice tracks and SAVE)
The new Qtractor 1.3 will have also the global audio-midi transpose and time scretch, where you can in realtime transpse the whole song in the root key chord desidered!

Slow slow I think you are starting understand that the future is based ONLY by the PC system, HD Streaming and not with the old dated embedded solution.
give a look here too: http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73
need just to wait the right time...
Qrange will be a new generation of Audio-midi arranger than no another brand can compete...

#230841 - 04/01/08 06:30 AM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fran, sometimes the answer is right in front of us. Many of us have so many toys that we don't even think what some of our stuff can do. For me, the H2 was a good purchase for many reasons not related to arrangers and gigs, so I am happy with my decision. Stick with what works for you.

#230842 - 04/05/08 09:09 AM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Krychek Offline

I have an H-2 Zoom. The number of songs you can record on it is determined by (a) your SD card memory and (b) the quantize/sampling rate you set it at before recording.

I don't use the Mp3 setting. Although this gives you oodles of recording space, the quality IMO won't be as good as if you record in WAV 16bit/44.1kHZ, which is the starting setting for WAV on this rig. You can go higher in quality on the settings . But as you do the total recording time becomes less.
At WAV 16bit/44.1 kHZ (c.d. quality) you're good for 94 minutes on a 1 gig SD card.
377 minutes on a 4 gig card.

It's a very easy rig to use. Files /folders etc. are all easily accessible on the menu.

For a couple of hundred bucks you can't go wrong.

Connect it to your computer easily with the USB cable supplied and you can download your entire card and burn a c.d. no problem.

#230843 - 04/05/08 10:36 AM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Can the line out of the H2 be plugged directly using a y in to the lines in of the Roland E 80 and the Tyros 2 without first going through a mixer or a preamp, for playback?
It doesn't seem to answer that question in the PDF Manual I read.
I often use only the keyboard in the motorhome, and the mixer and amps are in the basement.
Kindly advise and thank you
I see the unit for sale on the net for 179. USD and free shipping.
Bebop

#230844 - 04/05/08 01:07 PM Re: Zoom H-2 questions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just bought one of the things (H2) after using a friend's H4 for a while. Very small, very handy. A LOT more convenient than a laptop if all you want is recording and playback features. But no, it isn't an iPod. Then again an iPod can't record, and third party recording add-ons are clunky, poor quality and lousy mikes.

As an mp3 PLAYER, it has limitations compared to an iPod. no playlists, so you have to rename or number your mp3's to get them to play in a specific order. But with ten separate folders, you can reserve one for recording, and have different lists in the others, maybe for genre specific break music. I intend to keep one spare SD card, for audio backups of my sequences, in case I have an arranger meltdown on a gig.

I have found ONE significant limitation in it's recording capabilities. You cannot adjust the recording level on the line-ins, only on the mikes, so you have to be able to lower or raise the level at the source. No real biggie, but you ought to know....

It WILL play one tune and stop, unlike an iPod, so that makes it a big improvement for those who use mp3 backing tracks, but if this is a primary way you perform, a laptop with a larger display, and the ability to cue your next song would seem better.

But, for my more modest needs, it seems close to perfect. Break music AND the ability to record when the feeling strikes (you might want to double-check how a new tune or registration is working in the heat of battle), small enough to slip in a pocket and take to a concert (if you are into bootlegging live stuff!), a scratch pad for songwriting, a voice memo recorder, all in one package, barely larger than the original iPod...

One last use I've been toying with... It has an auto-record function, and will cease recording when you stop playing, and start when you do. It strikes me I can put this on my home mixer's RCA outs, and just leave it in permanent record, 24/7. At 128 mp3 a 4GB card gives you about 70 HOURS of recording time, say I play for maybe a couple of hours a day total time, that's close to a month's worth of never having missed a moment's playing! Just in case you get that ONE million dollar idea...

This is one handy dandy little tool...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online