Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#230794 - 03/30/08 10:22 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
they love the convenience of having everything in one unit.

That is a HUGE determining factor for many, many working musicians. Set up is time spent and time CHARGED for ..... use it to your advantage!

#230795 - 03/30/08 10:28 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary's right ... jazz isn't limited to song choices. Is the "Flintstones Theme" a jazz tune? If it's PLAYED like one, it is !
You can change the style of most anything to adapt to a new style. If you want a cool example of a few Jimmy Buffett tunes that cross the "jazz border" try:
Pencil thin mustasche(Swing), Volcano (Latin), Pirate Look at 40 (Bossa)
Jazz is a feeling and an interpretation, and while I am no expert, I can get the feeling accros to most people. Look at all the Broadway show tunes that get "jazzed up" .... I think Buffett has proven himself enough to the many generations of adoring fans that maybe it's time to educate the jazzers of his worth !

Most Jimmy fans won't like Coltrane .... I don't either for that matter, but I still appreiciate the talent and vision he showed. I just hated his tone.

#230796 - 03/30/08 01:04 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Midi ddata from a seq track only tells the unit the harmony pitches, it still has to have a live signal from your mic in real time to work. Using seq data frees up your chord hand, or arranger track, and allows more specific harmonies.

With any harmonizer, you still have to sing in real time into the unit.

Sorry Dave I took it as a given that everyone would realise that!!

#230797 - 03/30/08 01:33 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:

Even though this might be far superior to the PSR-S900's harmonizer, one big disadvantage is that you cannot save settings to the S900's registrations. Each time you want to use a different harmony setting, you have to remember to do it before you start the song - or you might be in trouble.

Beakybird all you would have to do is create a "mini" midi file to link to the style you are playing via a registration with the CC # to change the preset on the Helicon unit.

I had a Tyros for a brief while and I seem to remember this was possible, (but someone correct me if you can't).In fact this method works with all midi capable harmonisers, as long as your keyboard can load and store smf's.

On the subject of the Yamaha harmoniser, I have used the expansion board PLG100VH, and the harmoniser built into the PSR3000 and the Tyros (they are in fact all the same) and with it tweaked properly, to suit your own voice, you can get very acceptable results.

They are not as bad as some believe, imo. They just need a little more tweaking to get a good result. As long as you don't expect the MTC they are fine.

After all, people can see you don't exactly have a backing trio behind you .

So it's more to add just that little bit of variety once in while.
Well thats my opinion anyway

#230798 - 03/31/08 05:45 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Dnj,

Why bother with this, just purchase another Korg keyboard and you won't have to carry around all kinds of gear; it will all be integrated into the keyboard.

The TC-Helicon in the Pa2xpro sounds fantastic!

I still don't get why you got rid of the PA800. Was it because UD uses one? LOL

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#230799 - 03/31/08 07:33 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Dnj Offline

I got rid of the Pa800 because it didnt have enough styles for my work...I hated the difficult navagational OS folder system with all the folders, sets, etc, & very difficult to audition converted styles.....its all brought back My Pa80 days....the fills stink also...with that said...pretty much the rest of the features were very good,live sound,TC VH, Songbook w/transpose save, sliders, touch screen,etc.....the what I mentioned above was a deal breaker for me....right now I use NO VH.....its better then then using the kazoo in the s900....Im biding my time patiently & will wait for the next few Arrangers to hit the market....Roland, Yamaha, etc....

stay well

#230800 - 03/31/08 12:26 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
And, no limitations are far as I know of Diki.

You ever TRY to hook up any other MIDI gear to a Yamaha? Ever want a module to play the drums, but use the internal sounds for SOME parts? You ever want to control the Yamaha's arranger functions (Variations and fills, In/Outs etc.) from another arranger or a remote keyboard (only way you'll ever get to play a 76 Yamaha arranger!)...?

It's easy to not find limitations, if you don't look for them (because you don't need them)...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online