Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#230784 - 03/29/08 02:04 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Mike was referring to Gary's post..he didn't mention the midi connection...

Fran is right, sorry I should have made myself clear. I was wondering if this one used the midi or if you used it like that other one that you just play a guitar through. But I see it uses midi. I might have been thinking of the new digitech.
Obviously I haven't done any research on these newer harmonizers, so I know just enough to look foolish when I ask a question.

I think it would be worth twice the price just for the "live engineer effects that automatically optimize your vocals with adaptive compression, EQ, de-essing as well as reverb and delay effects."

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 03-29-2008).]

#230785 - 03/29/08 04:28 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Beakybird Offline

"The way it looks is you plug your mic into the vocal processor, then plug the output of the vocal processor into the keyboard's Mic/Line-In--that's all there is to it."

Then how does the device know what key to create harmonies in? You must have to plug a midi out of the keyboard into the midi in of the vocal processor. Anything else?

I asked what cables are needed. I would imagine you need a power cable - or does the device work on batteries? You need an extra mic cable. I would imagine you need at least one midi cable. Anything else?

Beakybird

#230786 - 03/29/08 06:01 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would have thought the limited MIDI output options on the S900 might be a bit of a buzzkill, as far as hooking up ANY external MIDI gear...?

#230787 - 03/29/08 07:22 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sorry to get back to this post so late. yes, you'll need midi a cable. And, no limitations are far as I know of Diki.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230788 - 03/29/08 09:42 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
miden Offline

Loc: The World
It works in 2 ways..You can drive the harmoniser from data contained in a MIDI track, or you can have it produce live harmonies based on the audio input from your mic. It also has a footswitch that can be used to bypass the harmony/effects or not.
The difference between the G and the M is that the G cannot be used by sending it midi data it only uses the live audio data coming from a mic.
It will be a great unit if you only want/need 2 harmony voices. It continues with the great helicon effects though.

#230789 - 03/29/08 09:46 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Diki, all you need is a midi file on the s900 with a harmony track in it and then set that tracks midi # to the same as whatever channel you set the helicon unit to rx on. Assuming you want to drive it from midi data.
If the s900 is anything like the Tyros, then the midi editing is quite comprehensive.

#230790 - 03/29/08 10:34 PM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
The difference between the G and the M is that the G cannot be used by sending it midi data it only uses the live audio data coming from a mic.

Midi ddata from a seq track only tells the unit the harmony pitches, it still has to have a live signal from your mic in real time to work. Using seq data frees up your chord hand, or arranger track, and allows more specific harmonies.

With any harmonizer, you still have to sing in real time into the unit.

#230791 - 03/30/08 06:07 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Beakybird Offline

I do enjoy using the PSR-S900's harmonizer. I use it about 30% of the time. I agree that it is limited in effectiveness, and sometimes is doesn't track my singing voice correctly. I have been able to edit some of the harmony settings to better suit my voice.

Even though this might be far superior to the PSR-S900's harmonizer, one big disadvantage is that you cannot save settings to the S900's registrations. Each time you want to use a different harmony setting, you have to remember to do it before you start the song - or you might be in trouble.

Maybe I'll wait a couple of years until the PSR-Sxxx comes out.

Beakybird

#230792 - 03/30/08 06:41 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
Dnj Online   content

Beaky you'll be waiting till the Cows come home unless Yamaha TOTALY changes the Vocal harmonizer unit in ALL their keyboards & get up to par with the quality processors like the TC Helicon, Roland, Digitech, etc, etc, ...maybe they dont think its that important like 76 keys ?

#230793 - 03/30/08 08:09 AM Re: One more month of suffering with the S900
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I know several professionals happily using the S900/3k/Tyros vocalizer...it works well for them, although it did require some adjustments.

And, they love the convenience of having everything in one unit.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online