SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#230700 - 03/31/08 09:50 AM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
What are you implying, Chas...that Morehead State really "sucks" (LOL)?

Don't really know, actually.

Russ

#230701 - 03/31/08 09:50 AM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Boo, I do those songs as well, except Night Train and Harlem Nocturne. Harlem Nocturne only sounds right with sax. I do a lot of Jimmy Smith, Groove Holmes, Charlie Earland (a great friend of mine before he died), and always the 'blues in f' time-killer to blow off a little steam get in all the crowd-pleasing licks .

As to DonM's comment about all the jazz players having day jobs; it's true, but they're so HAPPY . and thin. and they get the most exotic ladies (ok, so they have to pay).

...and stop trying to get Capt. Russ to play Buffett; he'll hold out 'til they pry that B3 from his cold, dead, fingers. Way to go Russ.

chas

#230702 - 03/31/08 09:54 AM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Dan,

What keyboard are you using for the duo and what styles are you using for those songs like; Heaven, Ramblin Man, etc.?

Al

Good Question... I use the Ketron SD1.
We use midi sequences for heaven & ramblin man and most of the other songs too... I out to entertain and have fun.
I edit out piano & organ parts & guitar parts as well.One feature that is really handy on the SD1, is the "drum bass" mode .. which instantly takes all parts out , except drum and bass of a midi sequence.

I find that audiences react better to a song, when they recognize it & midi sequences do that quicker than styles.

When I create my own songs, I use styles.
When I play at Church I use styles. Entertaining a crowd ? I find the sequences do the best job....

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 03-31-2008).]

#230703 - 03/31/08 10:49 AM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Boo, I do those songs as well, except Night Train and Harlem Nocturne. Harlem Nocturne only sounds right with sax.

chas

chas ... I have to disagree on Harlem Nocturne ... while the 'standard' is with sax, I've heard some damn good B3 versions as well ...
t.

#230704 - 03/31/08 11:58 AM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
captain Russ Offline

Dan, so sorry I hijacked your thread.

Just went a little nuts on something very important to me and that wasn't polite.

Russ

#230705 - 03/31/08 12:21 PM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Dan, so sorry I hijacked your thread.

Just went a little nuts on something very important to me and that wasn't polite.

Russ

No biggie .... typical of jazz players

Get all worked up and bring disharmony to the thread

#230706 - 03/31/08 02:46 PM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

chas ... I have to disagree on Harlem Nocturne ... while the 'standard' is with sax, I've heard some damn good B3 versions as well ...
t.

Tony, I've loved this tune since I was a kid. I don't think any other tune captures the essence of the Harlem Renaissance as well as this song. It may be the sultriest song ever written. HOWEVER, although I've heard it done over some incredibly soulful B3 and/or piano accompaniment, I'd have to say that if ever a tune was 'made' for a tenor sax, that was it. Still, I'd love to hear an example of an arrangement where the organ is the featured instrument. I'd love to hear Boo or any of our sax-playing members weigh in on this. Just a friendly discussion, now.

chas

#230707 - 03/31/08 03:02 PM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
captain Russ Offline

My recently departed buddy Winston Walls could make people cry playing this one on the B-3.

Chas, you're right...this is the ultimate tenor showpiece.

Russ

#230708 - 03/31/08 03:54 PM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Harlem Nocturne has always been among my favorite songs of all time. I wish I could play it well, but alas, I just don't have the talent.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230709 - 03/31/08 06:01 PM Re: I'll give you an idea of song list
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Tony, I've loved this tune since I was a kid. I don't think any other tune captures the essence of the Harlem Renaissance as well as this song. It may be the sultriest song ever written. HOWEVER, although I've heard it done over some incredibly soulful B3 and/or piano accompaniment, I'd have to say that if ever a tune was 'made' for a tenor sax, that was it. Still, I'd love to hear an example of an arrangement where the organ is the featured instrument. I'd love to hear Boo or any of our sax-playing members weigh in on this. Just a friendly discussion, now.
chas

chas .. I guess I shouldn't have said I disagree with you, because the tune really is a sax tune ... it's just that I've heard good B3 renditions as well ...
while I know I probably won't ever have the opportunity to hear it, (and I am NOT, I say NOT goading you ), I'll bet you and the Captain would more than do it justice ...
t.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online