SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#230423 - 03/27/08 04:40 AM Adding to the PSR-S900
Dionysus Offline

Hi all,

After owning a PSR-SQ16 for 15 years I thought it was about time for an upgrade. I've been looking at the PSR-S900 and the Korg PA-800. I think the Korg is a little out of my price range (about £500 more over here in the UK). However, I'm a bit concerned about the range of synth voices on the PSR-S900. My style of music is a cross between Jarre and Oldfield.

I was wondering what I could buy at some point in the future specifically to expand the range of synth voices available to me. I'd only be looking to spend a few hundred pounds ($400 - $600).

Also, is it possible to add new voices to the PSR-S900?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#230424 - 03/27/08 05:53 AM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
Dnj Offline

Have you looked into using your computer with VST's?

#230425 - 03/27/08 07:36 AM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The next time you visit the music store, fire up the S900, press any voice selection button, then press the top of the #8 button (UP) and tab to P2. There you will find hundreds upon hudreds of additional voices under GM & XG, many of which will likely be the ones you're looking for.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230426 - 03/28/08 05:03 AM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
Dionysus Offline

Thanks guys. Don't really know much about VST. I'm really looking for a keyboard to mess around on at home but, at some point in the future, to compose on. Nothing too complicated as, apart from the old PSR-SQ16, I am quite new to this.

I've been looking at the Korg Micro X. If I bought one along with a PSR-S900, would I be able to play sounds from both instruments using the PSR-S900 keyboard? Would I be able to incorporate sounds from the Korg into music that has been sequenced using the PSR-S900's onboard sequencer? Are there any good alternatives to the Korg?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge but, as I said, I am a newbie.

#230427 - 03/28/08 10:02 AM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Dionysus,
The idea with VSTs is that you use your computer (connected to your keyboard) as a virtual studio rack, in which you can incorporate a number of modules.

Those modules are pieces of software designed to behave, sound and "feel" like synths, effects, whatever you can think.

You "link" those modules together virtually, (just as you could have done in the real world) and then proceed to play or compose to your heart's content.

They have major advantages, like the sound is beyond anything you can find in a hardware synth, they cannot break, they take NO space, and you can configure them with a much better interface, rather than some limited knobs and switches. Many antique synths of the early days, come now as a virtyal instrument you can buy for a fraction of the price, and simply download and use.

The disadvantage is that you can't just buy it, tear the carton, plug it in and play, there is a learning curve involved especialy in the beginning when you set up the rack, connect the instruments. It is nothing a manual or a search on the net can't solve, but it is not a walk in the park either.

Since you want primarily synth sounds, you better take a good look on vst's
There are also virtual intruments called DXis, they are the same thing, just conform to a different standard. A rack such as Forte can incorporate both.

Module: http://www.steinberg.net/199_1.html
Hypersonic 2: Hear the demos and have in mind the real quality is 10 times better than those compressed samples. It seems it is a "legacy" product now so it may be cheaper to get.

Rack:
Forte: http://www.brainspawn.com/products/forte/
Does what you want, and a lot more.

There are also a lot of freeware softsynths for you to experiment, take a look at www.kvraudio.com and look for vst's
If you want something, just ask, I may can be of help

#230428 - 03/28/08 03:44 PM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
This may interest you if you want to use VSTs. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum43/HTML/000123.html
Another point to remember is that Yamaha Arrangers are not very good controller keyboards; you need to go to their synth line for that.
Hope this helps

Bill

#230429 - 03/28/08 04:20 PM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi ,
my PSR1500 is a lousy controller keyboard. You'll have problems with bank changes.

On the other hand my PA800 works well as a controller keyboard.

Do you actually require an "arranger" keyboard, for your purposes ie do you play styles in realtime or are you mainly planning on creating music.

Do you actually need keyboard styles?? or do you create your music from scratch??

Another alternative ( if you use styles, but don't actually play them in realtime )may be something like Band in a Box software http://nn.pgmusic.com/demos/demo_bbw.php

As a soundsource you could use a synthesizer keyboard or software synths.

You may need to give a few more details on what you're actually doing.

best wishes
Rikki

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 03-28-2008).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#230430 - 03/28/08 06:39 PM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
Dionysus Offline

Thanks for your replies. I'm not really sure that VSTs are the right path for me at the moment although they may be something to look into in the future.

Rikkisbears: To begin with, I think the keyboard will be used more for my own entertainment, e.g. playing along in realtime with the built in styles. However, I'm also looking for something that will allow me to create sequenced electronic music using the included voices alongside external sound sources (perhaps a Korg Micro X as mentioned earlier). Unfortunately I think the PA800 is beyond my initial budget. Would the PA500 be a good alternative? What about a second hand PA1X? Which arrangers do make good controllers within the £1000 - £1200 price range?

[This message has been edited by Dionysus (edited 03-28-2008).]

#230431 - 03/30/08 07:37 PM Re: Adding to the PSR-S900
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus:
I'd only be looking to spend a few hundred pounds

Hmmmm, a few hundred pounds....
The G-70 is close to that , isn't it ? ugh ... just lift one !

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online