Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#229841 - 03/24/08 01:28 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
I agree the post wasn't terribly clear.
I sometimes misread or take something out of context. Normally I have the good sense not to get involved. haahaa

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]Spalding and Rikkis,

Now that I've read a few more of the posts on this thread, I can hear where you're coming from.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#229842 - 03/24/08 05:40 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
TommyF Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
One can only hope this isn't patented technology, and eventually Korg and Roland (who we see have something like this in the pipeline on their Atelier organs) can incorporate it on to the already excellent SOUNDING (but not playing!) sax sounds...

Diki,

The Super Articulation technology IS patented by Yamaha. You can read the patent here (unfortunately only the abstract is in English):

TIMBRE GENERATION METHOD AND DEVICE

Yamaha has a history of protecting its patents very vigorously - anyone remember FM synthesis? It is not likely that Yamaha will license the Super Articulation technology to any of its major competitors.

The SuperNatural voices in the new Roland Atelier AT-900/AT-900C has nothing to do with Super Articualtion. You have to select the different samples with controllers like velocity, aftertouch and two dedicated foot pedals. There is no automatic analysis of your playing style like on the Tyros 2. You can see a demonstration of Rolands SuperNatural voices in the last part of this video:

Roland Music Atelier: Tones

If you want the ultimate in solo voice technology there is no way around the Tyros 2 or PSR-S900. But in my opinion an arranger keyboard is much more than its solo voices so Roland/Korg/Ketron will still be very relevant in the future.

Kind regards,
Tommy

#229843 - 03/24/08 09:47 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Different styles for sure ... matter of choice I guess ...
But am I the only one who found the 'breathing noise' annoying ?!? ... I've worked with sax players all my musical life and never heard one breathe like that ...
t.

#229844 - 03/24/08 10:31 AM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Different styles for sure ... matter of choice I guess ...
But am I the only one who found the 'breathing noise' annoying ?!? ... I've worked with sax players all my musical life and never heard one breathe like that ...
t.

I didn't like the "breathing noise" either, Tony...I never utilize it when I am playing the S900's SA sax...I find it sounds kinda hokey.

Ian

#229845 - 03/24/08 02:05 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ian ... Perhaps even a little 'scary' ... if my sax player ever sounded like that I might be looking to give him CPR !!! ...
t.

#229846 - 03/24/08 02:22 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I didn't like the "breathing noise" either, Tony...I never utilize it when I am playing the S900's SA sax...I find it sounds kinda hokey.

Ian

To gimmicky at best for sure.....& it ads to the audiences "Look At The Faker" mentality senario, lte just keep it with great sounds & less GIMMICKS!

#229847 - 03/24/08 06:01 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You'd always hear the breath if a sax player was in front of a mic. That adds to the realism. Without the breath it sounds like a kb player and a sax sample !

#229848 - 03/24/08 08:43 PM Re: Yamaha SA Sax or Korg Pa2x You be the judge
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, with the mike around the bell area (and usually not too close), a decent volume tenor player rarely gets loud enough with his breath for it to get picked up as much as the SA sax. Sure, it's there, but VERY hard to pick out of the mix, unlike this. Is there an overall volume control for this element, or is it just on/off?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online