SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#229552 - 03/18/08 07:15 PM Live performance
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
While we are on the subject, at least in another thread.. What do you do if you have multi background harmonies.. A lot of my stuff latley relies on overlays.. How do you do this? I was thinking, laptop, midi program to run the board that could trigger wave vocals during the song.. Let me know if I am dreaming!

If you know how this could be done.. Let me know!

I did think of one thing.. new 9000 have mp3 and wav functions.. Is their a way to trigger mp3 or wav events.. Probably reachin..

Thanks

I read some other threads so feel free to email me if you want..

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 03-18-2008).]

#229553 - 03/18/08 09:05 PM Re: Live performance
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ketron Midjay does it easily, as will the new Audya when it arrives.
DonM

#229554 - 03/19/08 05:47 PM Re: Live performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Back in the day I used minidisk recorders and made a custom backing track that had bass, drums, strings and 3 part vocal harmonies. That allowed me to sing lead, play piano or guitar live and have my own band behind me. Today, those MP3 trax have been transfered to my laptop and my iPod...and I can perfrom as a OMB even if I am at a grand piano with no other gear.

#229555 - 03/19/08 07:26 PM Re: Live performance
beachbum Offline

Thanks Don... Bit to much for a midjay at this point..

UD - Your basicially saying you don't use the sequencing features od the keyboard and use that.. You use pre-recorded music and play and sing along.. Sounds easy enough! One question, why do you need a ipod when your laptop can play recorded music.. Is that for a backup?

Looks like I'll get a laptop..
Thanks!

#229556 - 03/21/08 01:58 PM Re: Live performance
Uncle Dave Offline

I'm not saying that I play along to my trax all night, but in a pinch...I could. I have about 50-60 arrangements that are fully produced so I can do a full show if I wanted to, but I always prefer to add the spontanious live element to every show. I love to trigger harmonies in real time playing manual bass lines. To do that, you need a kb that will follow the RH chords with the arranger off.
A typical show for me these days is 100% live cocktail hour...with little or no arranger help.
Dinner time adds about 20% arranger and some Midi FILES to the mix, and after dinner, when the dancing starts...I can swing into DJ mode or pump up the arranger jam to a higher level. Once you start playing trax it's much harder to go backwards to a canned arranger patteren, so I pace the tunes accordingly.
Does this make sense to you?

#229557 - 03/21/08 10:45 PM Re: Live performance
beachbum Offline

Very nice..
It is crystal clear! Thanks for the info UD and for replying..

Thanks again.

#229558 - 03/22/08 05:26 AM Re: Live performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:
why do you need a ipod when your laptop can play recorded music.. Is that for a backup?

Yup! It's just for backup.....or a really tint job where I play a grand piano and only bring one small amp to sit next to me on a stand. The iopd is less to setup when the need is smaller.

#229559 - 03/22/08 05:26 AM Re: Live performance
Uncle Dave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by beachbum:
why do you need a ipod when your laptop can play recorded music.. Is that for a backup?

Yup! It's just for backup.....or a really tiny job where I play a grand piano and only bring one small amp to sit next to me on a stand. The iopd is less to setup when the need is smaller.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online