#229503 - 03/23/08 06:52 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
If they do the following they will get my money

1. Put in a genuine sampler
2. A genuine sequencer
3. deep editing functions for both internal sounds and audio recording onboard the keyboard

But i appreciate that i am probably in the minority for these features.

Yes you are in the minority I would think.

If you want a genuine sampler, take your laptop with you.
If you want a genuine sequencer, take your laptop with you.
If you want deep editing function, take your laptop with you.

All of these functions are already available on your computer. And until they make a keyboard with a fifteen inch screen, a alphabetic keyboard, and a mouse, a computer is by far the best way to do all three of these things.

As for me, I want the T3 to have great drum, piano and bass samples and better MIDI integration with other modules. That would be enough for me to shell out whatever it costs.

Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 03-23-2008).]

#229504 - 03/23/08 06:56 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
chony Offline

Now that we're on a new page, can we keep the "76/61" debate out of this? All the arguments have been made very well already.

#229505 - 03/23/08 07:03 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

Just read all these posts .....Everyone wants something else for their needs in T3....guess what IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN some will be happy.......many will still be complaining way after T3, T4, & T5.......
the perfect arranger doesn't exist...its purposely designed that way so you always want more. e will always need extra gear to achieve what you desire in an arranger.

#229506 - 03/23/08 03:54 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The perfect arranger will never exist. That's because everyone has their own, special needs, or wants, and no manufacturer could possibly accommodate everyone and manage to stay in business. If the particular function, voice, style, etc.. that you require is not featured with the T3, you'll either have to find a work-around or just don't buy it.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#229507 - 03/23/08 05:05 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

Gary....now we're getting somewhere for sure.....

#229508 - 03/23/08 05:49 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
to the genesys Offline

If this T3 is going to be very innovative (most likely with only revamping sounds and styles,) if it were 76 keys are people saying that they would not buy it because it is 76 keys?

Lets face it, in this thread, no one has presented a real argument as to why Yamaha does not have a 76 key arranger.

It always amazes me when some one says they want a certain basic technology on an arranger (sequencer, sampler, mp3 player,) when some one jumps up and says, GET A LAPTOP.

The point of an arranger is to have all of your keyboard needs in one place and not to have to deal with integrating different technologies and products yourself.
Why would some one spend $4000 on an arranger then have to get a laptop and have to buy a sequencer, sampler programs for the laptop then have to try to integrate laptop and keyboard set it up and use it on a live gig. That is why they want it all in one box. What people are asking for is some of the really basic features that any keyboard should have. A keyboard is supposed to take care of a person’s musical needs.

A full functioning sequencer is a given on all the other TOTL arrangers from other companies.

Boycotting Yamaha? If that is what Yamaha and others on this forum are telling people to do, maybe that is the next step that must be taken if Yamaha is not willing to listen to their customers.

#229509 - 03/23/08 06:06 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
It always amazes me when some one says they want a certain basic technology on an arranger (sequencer, sampler, mp3 player,) when some one jumps up and says, GET A LAPTOP.

The point of an arranger is to have all of your keyboard needs in one place and not to have to deal with integrating different technologies and products yourself.

having it ALL IN ONE PLACE is a recipe for disaster...if only one of these things breaks down & needs service....you would need to send in the keyboard for warranty repair.... Less is More in the long run...think about it. The laptop is an indispensable additional piece of supportive gear.

#229510 - 03/23/08 06:44 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
chony Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:

The point of getting a laptop is that it can do the job of these three things infinitely better than any keyboard will ever be able to do them (until they include a 15 inch screen, alphabetic keyboard and mouse). You just can't do effective sequencing and sampling any other way.

If a sequencer, sampler, harmonizer, and mp3 player are so important to your performance, you need to do it right. What exists on the keyboards in these areas is a joke - they are nowhere near the professional standards you can get on a laptop.

When I go to a performance, in addition to my Tyros 2, I take an iPod (even though the T2 has an audio player), I take a TC Helicon Voiceworks module (which is much more useful than anything on any keyboard because I have full access to the front panel), and I take my laptop which I use both as a sampler, and to record up to sixteen individual inputs onto separate tracks for post mixing.

I don't see any other way to do this without cutting corners.

#229511 - 03/23/08 07:39 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi AJ,
nice to hear from you again.
Miss our chats. Unfortunately we headed in different directions since the good old softsynth arranger days, you to T2 as your main arranger keyboard , me to korg PA800.

If you ever decide to swap, I can fill you in on some of the nitty gritty details on the PA800, I think Korg's improved since the PA80 days. Currently I'm learning to program style tracks in Guitar Mode. Pretty interesting stuff. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Hi Rikki,

Thanks. I still use Soft synths quite a bit btw. If anything, I might be a future candidate for the PA2x pro. I played both the PA800 and 2x and I like both boards, but I really liked both the key feel and 76 keys on the 2x. Still, neither would be replacing the Tyros 2, only complementing it.

A good portion of what I do live these days consists of acoustic playing, with sometimes little or no backing. That's why I want to keep the T2. The SA guitar voices, especially when I layer them with a mega, give me a pretty good live guitar feel. In the case of the megas, when you play at lower velocities, the effects become more prominent. I've practiced a lot and learned to adjust velocity pressure when I play so that I can incorporate the mutes, scrapes etc that accompany the megas along with the articulations from the SA voices. If I had to rely more heavily on style content, I'd say the Korgs ( even the Pa80 ) would satisfy me more than the T2.

I discussed purchasing the PA800 and PA2x with my dealer's kb manager, and also took a look at the M3, with the Karma 2 functions. I spent a few hours there, and even he agreed that for what I do I'm probably better off with what I already have, and that the PAx2 is a great board but might be best for me only if I wanted a secondary board. I like talking with him because he never tries to pressure a sale. We also agreed that we both like the M3 a lot but that it isn't the best rig for players like us that don't want to spend a ton of hours trying to learn and customize it. Great songwriting and jamming tool, but precise live play isn't a strong point.

The korg ( and Roland ) guitar modes seem to be very similar ( albeit less complex ) in design to what I have in Music Labs Real Guitar and Real Strat software. With some programming and effort, I can definitely get more realistic sounds than I can with my layered Yamaha voices, but.. in a live setting it's a bit simpler to load and simply play the T2 voices. For studio work though, the Music lab softwares are the way to go.

Cheers Rikki.

AJ

#229512 - 03/23/08 08:40 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
to the genesys Offline

Guise,
Having a workable sequencer, sampler and MP3 on an arranger is not rocket science. Have you ever heard of the Korg PA 1x, PA 800 and PA2x?

Workable Sequencers and samplers have been on keyboards for years. Yes for power power users a computer is preferred but having it workable in the keyboard where it is integrated in to the keyboard gives the performer an even more flexibility.

To say if it has to fix what do you do, What would you say if the arranger is not working do you say I don’t have my drummer because the keyboard is in the shop?

Strangely the same people who advocate carrying laptop and other things on a gig along with an arranger are the same ones who say no to an arranger module because it involves carrying more than one thing.

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online