SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 15 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15 >
Topic Options
#229463 - 03/22/08 08:22 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
big741 Offline

Would this be better for the piano players out there?

Take care,
dan

[This message has been edited by big741 (edited 03-22-2008).]

#229464 - 03/22/08 08:31 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good one, Dan.

#229465 - 03/22/08 10:10 AM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Dan can you tell me the name of the dealer that carries that model

#229466 - 03/22/08 01:55 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Gee Chas...that's why I like the Yamaha sound(and why I work for them)...a finished sound is ....er...finished.

I'd rather have a candy apple paint job than grey primer.

But...to each his own.

Ian

PS...Did you get a set of speakers for your C1? I haven't had a chance to try the Nord yet...health issues put that on hold for a bit....may get to try one next week.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 03-22-2008).]

Like I said, Ian, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's sorta' like, if you use an arranger on a gig, the people know it's not you playing; if you use a Yamaha arranger, they REALLY KNOW it's not you.

On the speaker thing, I'm still sort of holding out to see what that new Roland SA1000 sounds like with the Nord. It's supposed to be optimized for organ, whatever that means. My next inclination is to go EV (SX300, I think) unpowered, coupled with the Mackie 808S I already have. I also have a Traynor K4 gathering dust. Not a bad amp, just not right for me. Motion Sound just sounds too darn expensive (and heavy) although it would probably give me the sound I'm looking for. I just want to close my eyes hear a classic B3 w/Leslie 122. BUT, I don't want a speaker system that totally does away with the great weight advantage of the C1. Oh well, the search continues. I've been hoping for feedback from Capt. Russ but I think he's having too much fun just playing the thing . BTW, in the latest Keyboard magazine, the Nord C1 got a nice shout-out from Rickey Peterson, probably the best of the studio organists. Although he uses a real B3 on stage, he says he's 'digging' the C1.

Sounds like your recovery is progressing nicely. I'm very glad to hear that. Yamaha needs all the defenders it can get .

chas

BTW, in this neck of the woods (deep south), grey primer is perfectly acceptable (it's better, of course, if you only do one fender). Now, let'w see. Ol' Fart + Candy Apple Green convertible....ehhh, I'll pass.

#229467 - 03/22/08 02:36 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good Lord! Been away from here for a couple weeks and a monster post appeared. From the title I figured something new and exciting was being covered in depth. Then, after three pages of scanning, it's the same old--same old.

For everyone that must have more than 61 keys under their fingers while performing, but something from someone else. Don't bitch about something you have absolutely no control over--it's a waste of bandwidth.

If you don't enjoy those Yamaha styles and voices, BUY SOMETHING ELSE! Yamaha produces and sells more keyboards than all the others combined for a reason--they did the research, then produced a product that sells. It's not rocket science. Sure, they read this forum, and I'm confident they evaluate everything that is posted, then put things in perspective. Pro entertainers make up a very small portion of this forum, probably less than 10 percent. However, the percentage of pro entertainers that purchase their keyboards are likely less than 1/10 of 1-percent--yep that's the market they're going to targe--NOT! If you like what you read and hear, buy that Yammie, learn how to effectively use the operating system, and as Don Mason always says, "You too can make hundreds of dollars being an entertainer."

As for the Motion Sound speakers, well I own the KP100, have upgraded the speakers, and beyond any shadow of a doubt it's the WORST sound system I've ever owned. I forgot who made the post pertaining to them, Chaz or Diki, but you can take it to the bank. IMO, they're overpriced, have no bottom end, no top end, and the only reason I have the KP100 is for a backup--just in case my Bose L1 fails.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#229468 - 03/22/08 02:46 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Like I said, Ian, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's sorta' like, if you use an arranger on a gig, the people know it's not you playing; if you use a Yamaha arranger, they REALLY KNOW it's not you.

On the speaker thing, I'm still sort of holding out to see what that new Roland SA1000 sounds like with the Nord. It's supposed to be optimized for organ, whatever that means. I also have a Traynor K4 gathering dust. Not a bad amp, just not right for me. Motion Sound just sounds too darn expensive (and heavy) although it would probably give me the sound I'm looking for. I just want to close my eyes hear a classic B3 w/Leslie 122. BUT, I don't want a speaker system that totally does away with the great weight advantage of the C1.
Sounds like your recovery is progressing nicely. I'm very glad to hear that. Yamaha needs all the defenders it can get .

chas

BTW, in this neck of the woods (deep south), grey primer is perfectly acceptable (it's better, of course, if you only do one fender). Now, let'w see. Ol' Fart + Candy Apple Green convertible....ehhh, I'll pass.

Yep, I hear ya, although a lot of what comes out of the arranger depends on the player, and having a great speaker system.

I manage to make the S900 sound a bit more "live" by editing styles and careful use of effects...I like the clean sound of the Yamaha.

The Motion Sound Pro-145 is nice...lots of oomph, but "hard" sounding...not very woody like a 122, although it does move air rather neatly.

The Traynor K4 is LOUD, but still "hard" and also a bit to heavy and doesn't project stereo very well...it does make a fair combo keyboard on-stage monitor, but I found it sub standard for an arranger.

On my trip next week, the store I'll be working in has two Nord C1's in rental...I'll be there on a Thursday, so hopefully one will be available to try...they also have a Roland SA-1000 on the floor, so I'll get to try them together(hopefully).

Physically, I'm doing well...going back to my martial arts in a few weeks and doing a solo gig in May...a Mother's Day gig at a posh restaurant.

Ian

PS... No candy apple convertible for me either...I drive a 14 year old Honda Accord EX-R...not the ideal cool vehicle, but it's in nearly mint shape, has a sunroof and hauls the gear just fine.

Substance over style.

#229469 - 03/22/08 02:56 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ,
nice to hear from you again.
Miss our chats. Unfortunately we headed in different directions since the good old softsynth arranger days, you to T2 as your main arranger keyboard , me to korg PA800.

If you ever decide to swap, I can fill you in on some of the nitty gritty details on the PA800, I think Korg's improved since the PA80 days. Currently I'm learning to program style tracks in Guitar Mode. Pretty interesting stuff. haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:

I occasionally still look in, but pretty much stay away from here these days not so much because of the arguing.. really I couldn't care less.. but instead because of ( with the exception of a few of course ) the general lack of response to posts that actually contain useful, relevant, and interesting substance... My perception of course, but I'd rather spend my free time playing, creating and learning about something I can actually use with what I have in my hands now. Special thanks though to Rikki, Jorgen, Micheal Bedesem and FLR, ( I'm sure I missed a few more )from whom I gathered so much useful info along with some excellent discussion.

AJ

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#229470 - 03/22/08 03:03 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Actually, Gary, I have a Pro 3T, and it is one of the best buys I ever made. Why lug around a whole Leslie, when all you need is the rotor on top to give it the realism, especially on the high drawbars?

As to the Yamaha 'sound' and the idiotic notion that, just because they dominate sales (mostly amongst 'home' users, who care little for such things as sound and realism), ALL their decisions MUST, by inference be correct ...

Any corporation that gets it's head so far stuck up it's ar$e that it completely ignores the need of a significant (let's face it, if you couldn't make a profit on a 76, NO-ONE would make them!) portion of it's target customer, and lets them migrate to another brand, where they will probably stay, has a marketing plan that spells disaster. History is rife with has-beens that thought that they knew EXACTLY what the customer wanted, long after the screams for change had died down.

Ignoring the 'pros' and their needs forces many that WOULD have bought a Yamaha product to buy something else. And, let us not forget, a large percentage of first time buyers go out and buy what they see 'pro' and talented amateur players using, and most of those they see in restaurants and clubs, churches and social groups. By ignoring the needs of these more advanced players, they lose valuable advertising and word of mouth.

Many players buy an arranger to recreate the sound of playing in a live band. They DON'T want to sound like they are playing on top of a record (they can already do that at home), they want to sound like they are playing with a BAND... Not one of Yamaha's strengths, either.

But don't worry... I am sure there are a few ex-IBM users STILL re-living their glory days... Ignore your customers WANTS (there are so many who post here with the need for a Yamaha 76 that it COMPLETELY refutes your assertion of how small the numbers must be), and you are eventually destined for the scrap heap.

The truth is, Yamaha is COMPLETELY oblivious to ANY customer requests, whether they be something YOU agree with or not... Otherwise, tell me of the things YOU want improved that they have gotten around to. No?

Didn't think so, either....

#229471 - 03/22/08 06:53 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
This is just silly Diki. I just gave an explanation for the business reasons yamaha dont see the sense in making a 76 key arranger. Ian works for the company (at an arms length ) and understands exactly the very clear business reasons yamaha dont want a small peice of the very small 76 key market arranger pie. Just let it go . You have roland to turn to, ketron to turn to and korg if you insist on a 76 key arranger. If yamaha see enough customers leave in their droves to snap up 76 key arrangers instead of the very successful 61 key version they will reconsider their strategy i have no doubt. Yamaha will not cut off their nose to spite their face !!

But right now yamaha have the most successful line of arranger keyboard in the market and have done so ever since i can remember and they have always been 61 key versions. They are evidence that they are doing something very right and the proof is that their customers year after year by their products in numbers bigger than their competitors and i dare say yamaha are making a lot of money from all these transactions. They no what they do well and continue to do it. Anyone that has ever run a business knows that you dont mess with a winning formula.

#229472 - 03/22/08 07:23 PM Re: News about the coming Tyros 3
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Guy`s ,

Here is a good link , it`s in the UK , but it still FIRM info !
http://www.bonnersmusic.co.uk/buy/Yamaha/Tyros_3_With_Yamaha_Speaker_System_

Have fun ,

Gary 

Page 9 of 15 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online