SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#229088 - 03/13/08 08:46 PM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, but I tried the NP30... yuck! Not even remotely piano-like. I swear, I prefer the G70 for piano to that!

Sure, it's (the NP30) piano SHAPED, but that's it. Weight, inertia, stiffness, all wrong... If you aren't going to get the basics right, might as well shape it for organ, too. At least get rid of that lip that catches your palm when you 'smear'.

#229089 - 03/14/08 03:46 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well Diki...I did say the P85 was "loosely based" on the NP-30.

I didn't fancy the latter for solo piano much either...too light of an action and not enough keys, and, although it's selling quite well, it's not for me.

The P85, however, has a weighted graded hammer action...totally different from the NP-30...and perfect for my solo piano excursions.

At 25 lbs it is possibly the lightest hammer action Yamaha makes.

The G70 doesn't even feel remotely like a piano...not much better than the NP-30 in that respect...can't be good for maintaining finger strength and overall piano technique...at best, a poor compromise.

But, it works for you, and that's the important thing.

If Yamaha stuck the P85's action in one of the next S-series, they would have a great competitor to Korg's PA-588...but that is a big IF.

Ian

#229090 - 03/14/08 04:57 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Can you bend up AND down from the pedal, Ian? I need both for horns.

Roland.... no bend from ANYTHING other than the stick

Plus, I guess after 35 years of using wheels, sticks and strips, it's going to take some work to do it with my feet!

Personally, well, you all know my preference for the G-series 76 action... Although it is nowhere near as heavy as a wooden 88, it IS heavier than any other 76 out there, but they didn't make the mistake of giving it the piano's sharp corners (unlike Kurzweil), despite piano-like dimensions, so it's just as good for piano as organ...

There are VERY few actions that can make that claim!

After touch will also control pitch bend on the G70..

#229091 - 03/14/08 05:31 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

After touch will also control pitch bend on the G70..

Yes...but for Diki's needs it must bend up AND down.

It would be handy nonetheless.

Yamaha's SA guitars will pitch bend according to velocity and key interval...also quite handy.

Ian

#229092 - 03/14/08 07:22 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some G70 tones pitch bend via velocity and after touch can bend up or down..so the combination can work fine..

#229093 - 03/14/08 07:26 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Some G70 tones pitch bend via velocity and after touch can bend up or down..so the combination can work fine..

I think the Brass tones were important to Diki...will the G70 bend them via velocity?

Ian

#229094 - 03/14/08 07:35 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
Dnj Offline

IMO this bending is way overdone & not needed most of the time if played correctly...I've seen & heard so many butcher jobs people just bending away for no reason...which in turn makes them totally disregard the rest of the keyboard which definitly shows in their overall playing performance & timing navigation jumping back & forth all the time off the stick....trying to make people believe your really playing a guitar etc, etc, ...

#229095 - 03/14/08 07:56 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
ianmcnll Offline

I guess it can be likened to how some people use vibrato on their voice...too much and not enough sound weird...the trained and/or professional singer knows just the right amount.

Pitch bending is an art...sure it can be over/under used...but it sure adds a lot of expression when used properly.

Ian

#229096 - 03/14/08 10:16 PM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yeah, Donny... That bouncing back and forth to the pitch-bend lever is EXACTLY why I am constantly bitching about the Chord Sequencer...

Doing it right, inflecting JUST like the real thing, involves scooping, bending, 'doit'-ing, just plain wailing, at times when the SOLO needs it (or horn section, or pedal steel, or...), NOT when the chords can spare you. If you think about it, most songs (obviously not all, but a large majority can be performed this way) you play an Intro, you sing a verse and a chorus (or a head), then, either after a bridge or straight away, you repeat said verse and chorus (or head!). Now think about that... you already played the chords once. Why waste a whole hand, doing the same damn thing?

The chord Sequencer would then let you blow a solo across the backing, while you STILL control the Var and Fill (with your feet!), and use the bender, use two handed piano, play another instrument entirely, and go back to controlling the arranger any time you want...

I don't get it... It is the ULTIMATE arranger player's tool. Interactive, never the same twice, seamless with regular arranger playing, and totally hands-free for whatever you want, for as long as you want...

Who WOULDN'T want one of those?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-14-2008).]

#229097 - 03/16/08 08:32 AM Re: Korg Pa588 Arranger
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=6301

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online