SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#229023 - 03/11/08 10:38 PM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do most of mine at 320, probably overkill for the internet. I generally record as WAV file, then run it through a recording program and use "Normalize" to make the volumes all uniform, then compress to MP3. Probably 192 is optimum.
DonM

#229024 - 03/11/08 11:41 PM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I do most of mine at 320, probably overkill for the internet. I generally record as WAV file, then run it through a recording program and use "Normalize" to make the volumes all uniform, then compress to MP3. Probably 192 is optimum.
DonM

I generally use 220, because I've found that anything less sounds like a compressed mp3.

#229025 - 03/11/08 11:57 PM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Just make sure we don't confuse audio compression, and data compression...

Using a lower bitrate mp3 will not make the music sound 'compressed' in the audio sense of the word, just throw away more audio information (it's a 'lossy' codec) and make it less hi-fi, introduce artifacts (or make them more audible!) and basically 'blur' the soundfield, compared to the original.

But it will NOT 'compress' the sound in the usual, audio sense of the word. For that, you still need a compressor. Depending on how dynamic and drum heavy the mix is, simply normalizing will not get your levels up to 'pro' standards. Digital zero is the ceiling, but if ONE drum spike (they are the usual culprits) gets up to zero (or close), normalizing the file will have little impact. You MIGHT be able to get away with a few db of limiting, with no comp if the track is pretty even already, but in practice, just a little mastering comp helps 'glue' the track together, and then simply wind up the limiter until the track is the desired volume.

Just don't overdo it...

#229026 - 03/12/08 05:19 AM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
Dnj Offline

All great advice......keep it simple.

#229027 - 03/12/08 10:44 AM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Here is Steve A's web site ... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=749616

The only problem I had with it that the 'demo' stops playing if you go to view the photos ...

I've asked Steve A to provide some input to how his site was done...
t.

#229028 - 03/14/08 08:47 AM Re: I'm starting a website. Easy question.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good job, Steve, from someone who does sites for large manufacturers.

I LIKE it!

Russ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online