SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#228960 - 03/12/08 03:04 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have posted one of the songs from last night. There are lots of mistakes, but you can hear the SD5, the harmonizer and one of the Riffs.
This is a direct link to it: www.donmasonmusic.com/CantYouSee.mp3
DonM

#228961 - 03/12/08 07:44 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DonM, DNJ and a lot of other entertainers on this forum play the same songs, pretty much enjoy the same experiences, and overall, we have a lot of fun doing what we do. I no longer do weddings unless both the bride and groom are over 55 years of age, but this was my decission. In fact, I just turned down two wedding jobs and told the folks that called to call a DJ. The bridal party in both cases were under 21 years of age.

Like anyone else that has been in this business for more than a couple of weeks, I've had my share of jobs that I would consider less than optimal. In those instances I did what any pro entertainer would do--keep things upbeat, keep the atmosphere positive, smile a lot, get my check and get the hell out of there. That's the nature of this business, especially if you perform for a living. If you don't do this for a living you can do anything you want!

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#228962 - 03/13/08 04:04 AM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Definition of a successful gig:

You show up
They show up
You play
They have fun
You have fun
They pay you
You go home

Eddie

#228963 - 03/13/08 05:57 AM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
before "you go home" is better to have "they ask you to come back next time".

#228964 - 03/17/08 05:21 AM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
adimatis Offline

so, nobody else wants to share their experiences?

#228965 - 03/17/08 01:49 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You've got to deliver, and what's required changes not only according to the croud but the venue and sometimes the instrumentation.

My jobs include latin instrumentals on a Brazilian guitar only, a trio with guitar, single arranger jobs, an arranger and up to three additional keyboards, work with a B-3, Rhodes and drummer, work with a C-1 and Electro, drummer and guitar, group work on keyboard, upright, fretted or fretless bass, guitar and everything in between. The most satisfying job is with a guitar and sax. The guitar player is a great player and singer. He covers 1/2 the vocals and I do the rest.
He's an any style, any key kind of dude, so it's easy.

Every job is different. The ones I also enjoy now are me on keys and jazz guitar, my son on upright and electric bass and my grandson on drums.

We're not great yet, but we sure are LOUD!
Delivering what the audience wants, when they want it for a liveable price is the challenge.

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-17-2008).]

#228966 - 03/17/08 02:10 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
so, nobody else wants to share their experiences?

In business you never reveal your secrets....Professional music is no different.....I'm surprised you even got this many responses so far. What we do took years of trial & error & paid our dues....think before you speak or you might be sitting home more then your gigging in the future.

#228967 - 03/17/08 02:36 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
DNJ

Oh my brotha'...........

I'm sure everyone is on different levels here musically, vocally etc....Pros and amateurs alike....(And I'm sure some think they are better than they actually are)....

So maybe he just wants a little help....

And actually I agree with you ...I don't divulge my "secret" singing practice schedule...But it may not work for others like my voice responds to it....

And even though I may agree with you ....
I WOULDN'T SAY IT!!!!

I don't feel the question was inappropriate....rather your response

Steve Altonian
http://www.soundclick.com/stevealtonian

[This message has been edited by Steve A (edited 03-17-2008).]

#228968 - 03/17/08 02:52 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
Dnj Offline

Steve........I will help anyone to a certain degree...I will also voice my opinions as they are just that "mine"
this topic has been covered many times ..just do a search on performing or entertaining etc, etc, ...
but business is business & if you want to stay in business you have to be discrete. There are many ways to improve your so called performance techniques just seek an absorb its all "out there" for the taking if you have the perseverance & ability to learn. Doing it the "easy way" doesn't sit well with people who have paid there dues in the trenches. I will always help people to a certain degree if they are sincere.
But if anyone wants to leave their
"Door Open" don't be surprised if something is missing when you return

#228969 - 03/17/08 03:09 PM Re: what exactly do you do when performing?
adimatis Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
In business you never reveal your secrets....Professional music is no different.....I'm surprised you even got this many responses so far. What we do took years of trial & error & paid our dues....think before you speak or you might be sitting home more then your gigging in the future.

donny...

you did not mean that, right?

do you have the feeling i am trying to get your secrets? or anyone's else? i get it, you think i am just about to enter this "OMB showbiz" thing, and i am after an easy start?

i've been doing this long enough, over 15 years. i performed for all kind of people, events, purposes, by myself or togheter with some other fellows. i actually started when romania was not even democratic, that is before 1989... i was a young guy doing something that not many even tried... i had my share of "trial & error & paid" probably more than alot of our friends on this forum, and i did learn how to do some things, at least in my part of the world.

i guess i just wanted to have some of your oppinions - no intention to steel ideas. they most likely wouldnt work in here anyway...

so, my friend donny, dont be upset with my topic. i appreciate your feedback. also the other's. this might have been just informative.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online