Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#228686 - 03/06/08 12:33 PM Re: Why are you snotty
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:

Chaz,

I am guilty of posting unsolicited music very recently . No one said a word , so I guess it sucked and even paula abdul wouldn't like it.

Can't get any better , unless you get feedback.

Dan, you're a longtime member and a straight shooter, too, based on my dealings with you (I've done business with Dan in the past). But you can't allow yourself to feel like a victim because no one responded to a tune you posted. How would you respond if you actually got a negative review? I think that if you absolutely want feedback, then you should specifically ask for it, but be prepared to accept any and all criticisms. Ask responders to be specific about positive OR negative critiques; "YOU SUCK" doesn't cut it (except in one or two cases ) so we, as responders, also have a responsibility to offer our criticisms in as constructive a manner as possible. I also think one can do oneself a disservice by proclaiming their 'superior' talent up front (aka 'bragging).

There are many levels of talent on this board and I personally think that so-called 'working pro's' and 'home players' should be measured with a different yardstick. On a personal level, I tend to be MUCH, MUCH harder on a self-proclaimed 'pro'. Speaking of that, I'd like to see someone start a thread on what it means to be a 'pro'. Not a definition, exactly, but a very good example (IMO) is that guy that plays guitar in Ricky Minor's band on American Idol. Ohmygod, that guy plays EVERYTHING, IN EVERY STYLE, and flawlessly. I gotten to the point of just waiting to see him switch from country to rock to latin to .......without missing a beat. Now THAT's a pro. Anybody know who I'm talking about? It's (almost) worth suffering through 'idol' just to hear that great band. hmmmm, getting a little off topic here. Anyhoo..

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 03-06-2008).]

#228687 - 03/06/08 01:01 PM Re: Why are you snotty
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Chas ..

You are right.... Didn't mean to snap back.

I've been doing housework all day ....

#228688 - 03/06/08 01:05 PM Re: Why are you snotty
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Not a definition, exactly, but a very good example (IMO) is that guy that plays guitar in Ricky Minor's band on American Idol. Ohmygod, that guy plays EVERYTHING, IN EVERY STYLE, and flawlessly. I gotten to the point of just waiting to see him switch from country to rock to latin to .......without missing a beat. Now THAT's a pro. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

http://www.rickeyminor.com/
http://www.jazzreview.com/articledetails.cfm?ID=1772

Paul Jackson Jr.
The number one R&B session guitarist, master of the unobtrusive rhythm scratch. Not related to fusion bassist and Headhunter Paul Jackson. (DBW)

Deborah Allen, Telepathy

Cerrone, Cerrone V: Angelina; Dancing Machine

Stanley Clarke, Hideaway

Leonard Cohen, The Future

Earth, Wind & Fire, Touch The World

Roberta Flack, Oasis

Howard Hewett, Allegiance

High Inergy, Frenzy; Hold On

Whitney Houston, I'm Your Baby Tonight

Jermaine Jackson, Let's Get Serious

Quincy Jones, Back On The Block

Chaka Khan

Gladys Knight & The Pips, Life

Patti LaBelle, Winner In You

Madonna, True Blue

Stephanie Mills, I've Got The Cure

Vernessa Mitchell, This Is My Story

René Moore, Destination Love

René & Àngela, Street Called Desire

Minnie Riperton, Love Lives Forever

Smokey Robinson, Smoke Signals

Patrice Rushen, Patrice, Pizzazz, Straight From The Heart, Watch Out!, Anything But Ordinary

John & Arthur Simms

Donna Summer, Bad Girls; Cats Without Claws

Temptations, Power

USA For Africa, We Are The World

Angela Winbush, The Real Thing

Young MC, Brainstorm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVWMQ6i1I1k&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-06-2008).]

#228689 - 03/06/08 01:25 PM Re: Why are you snotty
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I agree, Chas, the guy's a MONSTOR! I'd lay odds he's a VERY experienced studio guy. The really good ones I've known can play anything, first take, hold up under extreme pressure (A la television taping) and don't need much sleep. Checking out his PRS (the Santana guitar-he's better than Carlos) appearance-probably at NAMM and other UTube post shows that he is "top drawer".

Great talent!

Russ
(former half-assed studio guy)

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-06-2008).]

#228690 - 03/06/08 01:30 PM Re: Why are you snotty
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Here's an example of why it's so hard to critique work. This guy is in a whole different league. I'm a pretty fair guitar player, and this guy "eats my lunch" with one hand! I think I'd hold my own with most pro players, but would be embarassed to get on the bandstand with this kind of player.

Think of it, though...he may suck at being a single entertainer. In that context, many here would be better at that application.

Evaluating musicianship, entertainment abilities, music knowledge, etc. is a slippery slope. We have to be SURE we're on the right page!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-06-2008).]

#228691 - 03/06/08 02:09 PM Re: Why are you snotty
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, thanks for that. I guess I'm just blown away by the guy's versatility. On 'Idol', I've seen him just sit in a chair and do a very soulful guitar-only accompaniment of a Country tear-jerker and then do a blazin' hot rock thing on the next tune. What's amazing is that he couldn't look farther from either. In fact, he looks more like your friendly neighborhood school bus driver. Never judge the talent by it's cover.

good find.

chas

#228692 - 03/06/08 07:13 PM Re: Why are you snotty
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Russ
(former half-assed studio guy)

Hey, Russ ... don't sell yourself short !
1/2 assed? Naw!!!

#228693 - 03/07/08 02:28 AM Re: Why are you snotty
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Beachbum, and guys, do you do requests?

Yesterday AND today I listened to Rod Stewart's "Baby Jane" on the radio... I would very much like to hear it from you... Are you willing to to give it a try????

My opinion is that Beachbum's distinctive voice is perfect for the song.

Can anyone post a version of it?

[This message has been edited by trident (edited 03-07-2008).]

#228694 - 03/07/08 06:33 AM Re: Why are you snotty
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Beachbum, I have replied in the past to your posted music, and you do a nice job, no question about it. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016969.html

I agree that you sound like Sting as well, I do hear some Rod Stewart too. Once upon a time I enjoyed the style of music you play. Times have changed and as I got older I seem to only enjoy the "Great American Songbook", (As Gary said old fart stuff) Showtunes, Jazz and really got to like Country music. I never liked Country music going back 20 years ago, it's only the last 5 years I started enjoying it. As for "Covers" I love playing them. I have fun playing them and make a few extra dollars every year that pay for my toys. Keep making that great music I'm sure you have an audience for it.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-07-2008).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online